Join Shelby Forums Today

Four banger Ferrari that Shelby raced took $11 million at Monterey auction

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Sep 6, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

When I was at Monterey, some place or another at the half dozen events, I photographed a little red Ferrari spyder. It had the number "98" on it. Later when I got home I decided to paint a portrait of it but when I looked up the car's history, I realized it was a rare four cylinder model that had been raced by CS when he was working for the Edgar racing team. Apparently Enzo Ferrari sold it to them as a "new car" when it had already been wrecked in practice previously and rebuilt. But Edgar didn't complain as Shelby won a lot of races in the car. I wonder if his victories in that car is what made Shelby always want the number "98" on his race cars even in the Cobra days. I know race drivers are sometimes superstitious but the only time I heard that about Shelby was when the airlines lost his luggage with his overalls in and he entered a race without them and lost, breaking a red hot winning streak.