Join Shelby Forums Today

Monterey? what is the Cobra run from Laguna?

Discussion in 'Events Forum' started by bitzman, Aug 9, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I was reading the Ferrari forum and someone referred to that
    and I was wondering:

-what is it?
    -what day does it take place?
    -what is the destination?

Maybe it's the opportunity for good pictures. The racing doesn't start until
    Friday so maybe this is something earlier in the week. By the way if you
    want the schedule for the racetrack races, it's on the net, you can find it by writing "Racing schedule" and "Monterey." I can't look for it now but I
    found it in 5 minute. Saturday is the big race for Cobras.

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

while I was looking for it, I found this speech scheduled by Pete Brock on Thursday

I don't know if it's free, but sounds like a PR thing so maybe...

Cobra Racers
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:00 am to 11:30 am
    The Marriott Monterey, San Carlos Ballroom
    350 Calle Principal
    Monterey, CA

The Cobra vs. Ferrari rivalry that burned briefly, but intensely, from 1963-65 was one of racing’s greatest rivalries. Ever since racing at Le Mans in 1959 for Aston Martin, Carroll Shelby wanted to return to the world sports car stage with his own car and upset the status quo. The road to his aspiration drove straight through Maranello — Shelby would have to take on Ferrari to win. For Pebble Beach week, Hagerty will present famed Cobra Daytona Coupe designer Peter Brock and his hand-picked panel of some of the greatest surviving personalities from the Shelby racing stable from 1963-65 for an exciting discussion and audience question-and-answer session. Panelists include John Morton, Jerry Grant and Lew Spencer, some of the most well-known surviving Cobra race drivers.

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

My understanding is that after Ford's unveil at Laguna Seca, a contingent of the Cobras present are going to parade over to the The Quail.