Join Shelby Forums Today

Motor Trend's SHELBY magazine is on the newsstand now; a so-so review

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by bitzman, Aug 8, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I paid $13.99 for it which in my experience is kind of high for a softbound magazine (though they say there will be a larger hardbound version someday). It has some good historical pictures but copywise dances lightly over various phases in Shelby's car life; in some cases not going very deep (like the Series I, studiously avoiding any criticism of the car). It also reprints some early road tests like the first Cobra, the 427 Cobra and the GT350, even going to the (daring) yellow paper like it was shot out an old magazine. And there's several pages of quotes at the end which I think came from the tribute at the Petersen Museum. Found only one mistake at first glance--one author saying the '64 Ford GT had an overhead cam engine, when in fact Ford had a pushrod engine V8 before they had the overhead cammer. I would love to know if the newer hardbound version is going to have 28 pages of more pictures or just a few pictures and space taken up by modern ads. The cover is a white 2012 Shelby Mustang and the title is Motor Trend presents SHELBY A Tribute to An American Original

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Thanks for the notice. :thumbup:

3. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I picked one up but have not checked it out yet. Price is high but some of the proceeds go to the Carroll Shelby Foundation.

4. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

There is a new issue now, seems about 70% weighted toward present day models

I think there's some historical articles. I saw it at Barnes & Noble. I guess there's at least six issues by now, and I think they will be collectable.