Join Shelby Forums Today

Late model Shelby actually owned by Shelby himself announced to be at auction

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by bitzman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I don't know how many of the '07 and later ones he actually put his name on the title but here's one coming up.
    -----------------------

Photos at:
    MPR Media Center http://mcculloughpr.com/Media for information, *

VICARI TO AUCTION 2009 MUSTANG GT500KR OWNED BY
    CARROLL SHELBY DURING BILOXI EVENT OCT. 12-13, 2012

HARVEY, La. - Car enthusiasts will have an opportunity to purchase a rare Mustang personally owned by American automotive legend Carroll Shelby when it goes up for bid at The Vicari Auction Company's 16th annual Biloxi Auction, Oct. 12-13, 2012, at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum & Convention Center in Biloxi, Miss.

Vicari will auction a 2009 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500KR that was delivered to the late Shelby for his home/ranch as CSM #445. The vehicle comes well documented with a copy of the previous title in Shelby's name, certificates of authenticity for the car and Carroll Shelby's signature on the dash, and the bill of sale from Shelby to the current owner.

"The current owner bought this Shelby GT500KR as an investment piece, storing it in a garage and taking it out for the occasional car show," said Pete Vicari, president of Vicari Auction. "It has less than 1,600 actual miles on the odometer, and both the consigner and the Vicari Auction team are eager for a new enthusiast to enjoy a vehicle that was previously owned by such a legendary name in the performance automotive industry."

In 2009, 712 Shelby GT500KR cars were produced, 236 of which had the Ebony Black paint and Satin Ebony Stripe option featured on this model. This Shelby GT500KR is powered by a 90 degree "MOD" DOHC supercharged 5.4L/330CID V-8 producing 540 HP @ 6,250 RPM and 510 lbs.-ft of torque @ 4,500 RPM. It goes 0-60 mph in 4.3 seconds and has a quarter-mile ET of 12.5 seconds at 114 mph.

The Mustang boasts 3:73 rear gears; a short throw shifter; and a front suspension that includes an independent modified (reverse - L) Macpherson strut, coil springs with unique linear rate, gas-pressurized Ford Racing Shock absorbers, 34 mm tubular stabilizer bar and Ford Racing front strut tower brace. The rear suspension includes 3-link solid axle, coil springs with unique linear rate, gas pressurized Ford Racing shock absorbers, 24 mm solid stabilizer bar and Panhard rod. It has a four-channel ABS system, linked to all-speed traction control and electronic brake force distribution. The front brakes are 14" Brembo disc, four-piston aluminum calipers, while the rear brakes are 11.8" vented disc, single piston calipers.

It also has GT500KR 18" x 9.5" machined aluminum wheels with SVT/Shelby center caps and a tire pressure monitoring system.

The Shelby GT500KR will join more than 400 classic and muscle cars crossing the block at Vicari's Biloxi Auction, which takes place during the Cruisin' The Coast event, Oct. 7-14, 2012.

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

I remember at one of the SAAC Does Vegas Conventions in the late 1990s, CS mentioned that he was going to personally title a number of cars as a way to get funds for the Foundation as they would possibly sell/auction at a higher value. This was before he started with SAI Mustang production, but I assume it was done for the same reason. I do not know how many cars he had personally titled.

:cool:

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

To add to this, he also did so with one of his "authorized Shelby dealers" with several vintage cars purchased on the used market. Shelby was charging $500-$1,000 for this service since the perceived added value was supposedly "worth it's weight in gold" (his words, not mine). The man was indeed a natural born salesman, even if it was his own name and signature :laf:

Bill S.

4. ChicagoChris

ChicagoChris Member

I'm sure this is a nice car given so few miles. Usually I’ve found things that are ‘issued’ as collectables rarely become collectable.

5. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

+1

b)

6. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Carroll has certainly bought and sold several cars (flipped) for the benefit of the increase in value due to his ownership but he has owned lots of cars for lots of reasons. He has held on to quite a few so the Carroll Shelby Foundation could benefit from their sale when he is no longer around. I only recall him "flipping" cars for the last 10 years or so but I guess he may have been doing it longer.

Not sure what the story is behind this KR.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012