Join Shelby Forums Today

I know I should look in the Register but here's a questiona bout the Super Coupe

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I saw a reference recently to CSB3054, aka Type 65 Coupe and Super Coupe.
    I read on one website that it was originally started only as a 427 chassis and completed on 3/13/65, then shipped to Slough, England for coupe body by Radford Coachbuilders. This project was canceled before fully completed. It was shipped back to Shelby American in late 1965 and stored at the Shelby facility in unfinished condition. The car was sold by Shelby American and after several owners, Craig Sutherland had Mike Dopudja of Englewood, Colorado completed it in 1980 with much consultation by Pete Brock on how he had envisioned it. My question is about the use of CSB in the number. Is it pretty much decided that this was a typo that got perpetuated? I apologize if this question has been long since answered on the forum.

Also I was under the impression that, after Brock discovered the mis-sizing (8" too wide) , that a second 427 Cobra Super coupe was started. So the question is: was the second one merely the first chassis narrowed to Brock's specifications or was the second car on a completely different chassis? If it was a second chassis, is it recorded what happened to the first chassis and body? On one English website for the AC Owner's Club, it says that the chassis and body were tossed out. This is old history that has long ago no doubt been written about but I missed that discussion, wherever it was.
    What makes me interested is the case of the ex-Bondurant/Whitmore Targa Ford GT roadster that was listed by GT40 authors as "destroyed" but turned up decades later at Goodwood after someone found the cut up chassis in a breaker's yard, so I never quite believe "destroyed" cars are dead for sure.

2. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Wally,
    I guess I shouldn't assume you understand CSX, COX, and COB prefixes?
    Cobras sold through Shelby used 'S' as the second letter, the rest of the world had 'O'. 'B' stood for (British) right hand drive, 'X' was used for (export) left hand drive. CSB3054 was invoice to SA but was right hand drive.

You state that you should look in the Registry, does that mean you now have one but haven't looked? :doh: