Join Shelby Forums Today

Is it real if it's in the register, concerning COB6132 427 Cobra

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Jun 17, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I saw it in the Beverly Hills Rodeo Drive Show. A little rough around the edges but looked like it had enough "patina" to be an old Cobra in storage for awhile. The sign with it said that it as COB6132 and that it was one of six chassis (I had always heard 5) ordered up by Paramount form A.C. in long wheelbase form to be in a feature which they called something like "Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies" (which might have been called Monte Carlo or Bust in other markets) starring Tony Curtis and that after the movie they sold the car to someone who took it to Brian Angliss who had the business CP Autoparts who shortened it to Cobra wheelbase and rebodied it. They identified the engine as a 427 side oiler with the numbers 30-31G (?). The Webers seemed to tilt inward a bit so I am wondering I have seen that on Gurney Weslake heads, don't know if they made those heads for big blocks. Anyway I don't think the sign said the car was for sale. I shot pictures with my CanonA 2300 but since I only got the camera yesterday don't know how to transfer them to a website like this, only to an e-mail. Anyway just wanted an opinion on whether this car
    is any more a real Cobra than the Shelby aluminum-bodied Cobras Shelby's factory makes today. It seems like its connection to AC is pretty solid, just no connection with Shelby. The sign also said it was made before Angliss started making the Mk. IV cars.

and sorry no Register....

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

Determining if a car is authentic has very little to do with the information in the Shelby Registry. At this point, there is something about almost every car built. You can't prove anything because the information is just what has been reported to the club. You may be able to support or refute a given claim.

There was a COB 6132. According to the book there is also a fake running around. So, now you need a Cobra expert to determine which one you saw......

3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

An elongated 117" frame numbered COX6132 was sold to Paramount for a movie project but it was not used. It was purchased in the 70's by Brian Angliss and was the basis for a replica Cobra in the early eighties.
    It and the other elongated Paramount chassis are not included in the count of 998 original Cobras produced.

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Yet the Cobra registrar does track these chassis's to play it safe :thumbup: