Join Shelby Forums Today

Real big block Cobra scheduled for auction in Monterey Aug 2012

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Jun 12, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

CSX3216
    Wimbledon White over an original, beautifully-patinated (doesn't that mean "worn looking?") , black interior. The auctioneers, Gooding & Co., estimate it will go for $750,000 - $950,000

see pics at http://www.cobra-ranch.com/

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I like the look of the original white...street configuration. It will be interesting to see what the purchase price is.

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

If all the big blocks go to original street car specs, then "S/C look" cars will..

..be diminished.I'm not saying it should be a law that all cars
    should go back to their original colors & equipment but there's many
    a big block with an S/C look that came with a smooth hood, 428, etc.
    I think what we're seeing is a more discriminating customer buying the cars at these above $500,000 prices and they would be embarassed by having a car that's wrong-color, wrong-equipment. They are probably over their "boy racer" phase and not going to put it on the track unless it's just a touring lap. All bets are off, of course, if back in the Sixties the car was retrofitted as an S/C at the factory after purchase. If you can document that then it would be OK, I would think, to show with the race style accoutraments.
    Interestingly Bruce Meyer who owns CSX2001, had a variety of configurations he could have gone back to since his car existed in different forms at different times but he chose one racing look and has stuck with it, which is pretty exciting. I don't think I would have liked it with the cheesy tunnel-back hardtop it ran in Europe (hardtop looked like 250LM roof).