Join Shelby Forums Today

Someone raised the price of small block Cobras when I wasn't looking...race car 4sale

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, May 25, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Paul Russell & Co, a noted collector car restoration shop on the East Coast (the same one used by Ralph Lauren) has a small block for sale for over $2 million. Of course it has a racing history but i was thinking a price like that would be for a factory team car. But hey, what do I know, demand with all the hubbub at Monterey scheduled must be outstripping supply! Here's the complete description from their website. PS I thought roller cams were illegal back in the day , but hey maybe that never got checked out by the scruitineers...
    ------------------
    1962 Cobra CSX 2026
    $2.75 M

The Hogeater. A piece of Shelby racing history is being offered for sale. This 1962 Cobra CSX 2026, nicknamed "The Hogeater", was the first Cobra ever to win a race in the US and the First Championship winning Cobra. It won the SCCA-A Production National Championship in 1963 helping secure Shelby American's First Manufacturer's Championship.

The car was prepared as a team race car with initial body and chassis modifications including Koni shocks, a steering brace, a 37-gallon fuel tank with a quick release filler, a hood scoop, front and rear brake cooling scoops, dual brake master cylinders, alloy brake calipers, anti-sway bars, stiffer springs, a roll bar and quick jacking points front and rear. The dash is dominated by a placard indicating the positions of the floor-mounted fuel valve. It originally had a short racing windshield and the top of the left door was cut back to give the driver a little bit more arm clearance. The 289 V8 was fitted with 12:1 pistons, a roller cam, special headers and exhaust system, a Spalding Flamethrower ignition, a nine-quart oil pan, an oil cooler, and a Stewart-Warner auxiliary electric fuel pump. Four Weber 48IDM carburetors on a prototype intake manifold replaced the usual Holley 715 four-barrel.

After its first race it was modified with a full-width windscreen, bigger fender flares, front wheel spats, and 6.5 and 7.5 inch wide Halibrand magnesium wheels.

Most of this Cobra's wins came at the hands of Privateer Bob Johnson from Columbus, Ohio. In recognition of its ability to beat the Corvettes, Johnson's Cobra was nicknamed "The Hogeater" and he was dubbed "King Cobra".

In 1964 CSX 2026 was sold to Minnesotan Jerry Hansen who finished 6th in the Central Division. It was then sold to another Minnesota racer Jim Whelan who ran it in mainly regional SCCA events. Whelan's season ended after an accident in the summer of 1965. After being rebuilt CSX 2026 headed south for a few years before being discovered by a Michigan collector and restorer. It then passed to two more owners before being restored by Wisconsin Cobra expert Randy Bailey. Bailey restored CSX 2026 using advice from Bob Johnson and photographs of the car at Sebring and drawings by the artist Bill Millburn to authenticate its 1960s race configuration.

This historic Cobra has been invited to appear at the 2012 Monterrey Motorsports Reunion which will celebrate the Shelby Cobra marque.

---------------------------------------
    this page has all the juicy pictures http://paulrussell.com/classic-cars-for-sale/A020-G_62_Cobra_CSX-2026/index.php

2. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Re: Someone raised the price of small block Cobras when I wasn't looking...race car 4

Hey Wallly,

CSX2026 is a factory Team car, was the first 260 Cobra to win a race, and then get changed to a 289, and became the first 289 Cobra to win a well..it has a rich race history and is an extremely signficant car so the price is up there but a typical ask for a car of this signficance IMO..it was at Gooding Co 2 years ago I believe..

Best regrds,
    Vern

3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Re: Someone raised the price of small block Cobras when I wasn't looking...race car 4

+1 It did not sell at Gooding but it was at RM Auctions in 2006 and sold for $1.8M at that time.

4. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Gooding has a 427 Cobra coming up for Monterey, repainted white like when it was new

I guess the car used to be blue for awhile. Maybe this is another sign cars are returning to the colors & trims they had when
    they rolled out of Shelby's factory. Here's some facts from another forum's story: The sale is Aug. 18-19th
    1966 Shelby 427 Cobra - They are estimating it will go for $750,000 to $950,000. CSX 3216 has a genuine, date-coded 427 FE big block engine and has been restored to its original livery of Wimbledon White over an original black interior. The car is equipped with a complete file of documentation dating back to its first owner.