Join Shelby Forums Today

Cobra Warehouse?

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by carelm, May 16, 2012.

1. carelm

carelm Member

Would like some confirmation or denial from the experts on this.

In the late 60's (1968 or 1969 my best guess) a guy in a 289 Cobra was in the gas station I was working in Torrance CA and said there was still a warehouse containing Cobra rolling chassis available for $3,000. However, you had to supply the engine. Supposedly some of these formed the basis of the 1989 Continuation Cobras. I had no reason to doubt his story, but since I didn't have the $3,000 it was a moot point for me.

Thanks in advance.

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

UUUUUhhhhmmmmmmmmmm,

NO :doh:

Enough said

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

That is probably the same story that was in one of the car magazines, Shelby claimed to have "discovered" some left over parts and chassis. It was complete fabrication then and it still is now.

If you want a real Cobra you are going to need a lot more an $3,000

4. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Actually Shelby was explaining to reporters that he had the unused chassis serial numbers to use to make more 427 Cobras and the concept of the chassis serial numbers on paper went right over reporters heads. They interpreted his statement to mean he had the unused tube chassis stashed in a warehouse someplace. He let them run with the story because it sounded better then his and it was their mistake and not his . Shelby related this story with a chuckle to myself special Ed and a few dozen others about 20 years ago on the first SAAC cruise.

5. carelm

carelm Member

Thanks Bob,

At the time it was only a year or so after production ended when the guy related the story to me. 427 Cobras were selling new for around $7K and 289 Cobras around $6K if I remember correctly so the price seemed believable. It might have been just the serial numbers and possibly some assorted leftover parts.