Join Shelby Forums Today

14x6 chrome magnum wheels original

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by rita shipley, Apr 5, 2012.

1. rita shipley

rita shipley New Member

I have a set of chrome magnum wheels, with 50795C, 14x6 UNISTYLE printed in the rim. I was told they came off a 1966 Shelby GT350. I am trying to verify that. I am not very familar with wheels. How do you tell if they are not beaded?

2. SHELB66

SHELB66 Member

You might want to first measure the backspacing using a straight edge and ruler. That will provide valuable information regarding the wheel's application.

Craig R.

3. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

It would be best to post a picture of the front side the wheel from about a foot away showing the area where the chrome rim meets the center. The rim profile on a Hertz wheel or painted Shelby wheel (same as Hertz only painted rim) is very tricky to identify. There are wheels with the same backspacing but the correct Rim profile is hard to find.

rshelby likes this.
  4. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Bob, Isn't the number etched into the wheels 50795C a giveaway that they are in fact the wheels
    used by Shelby in 66?
    Texas Swede

5. Bob Gaines

That may be so but many times you can't find any identification on the rim because of corrosion and what not. I rely on the look of the profile of the rim on the front side. That is the part the world typically sees anyway and is most important. It is distincly different in appearance then the many times used magnum substitute.

6. SHELB66

SHELB66 Member

As Bob stated it's the profile of the rim, which is very unique, along with the proper backspacing which helps identify the correct Hertz wheel. Correct wheels can have marked on the side 50795C OR just 795C (without the 50). But be cautious as some the 795C wheels are actually Mopar rims which look very similar but have a different offset.

Craig R.

7. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,
    Never too old to learn something new.
    Texas Swede

8. Bob Gaines

Just to clarify when I am referring to profile of the rim I am also referring to where the center is welded to the rim (backspacing) . As Shelby 66 mentioned there is a Mopar rim that has the same bolt pattern and same rim but the profile of the rim which includes where the center is welded to the rim is different . The Mopar rim will fit on the back but not clear the front brake calipers typically but have found a few that will. It is very close . I have seen enough and searched enough that I can visually tell the the small difference where the center is welded to the rim between the Mopar rim and Hertz rim without measuring. FYI when restoring these rims the center has to be cut away from the rim so that the polishing and chroming process is even. This is the way it was done when new. If you rechrome the wheels without separating you will have a 1/4 to 1/2 a inch area around the perimeter of the rim where it meets the center that is a different finish then the rest of the chrome and that looks cheesy IMHO. You can't use the Mopar rim even though it is the same and you have to separate and re attach . This is because the area on the Mopar rim when cut away from the center and then reattach with the Hertz backspacing will expose the uneven area that was welded and cut away on the mopar rim. It is next to impossible to smooth out the area on the mopar rim good enough for a unnoticeable smooth finish if used to make a Hertz wheel out of. So the Mopar rim even thought it is the same rim (and easier to find) is not usable to make a Hertz rim out of. WHEEL VINTIQUES has a excellent Hertz wheel reproduction available now for 279.00 each. Although they are slightly different to be DOT compliant you couldn't come close to restoring a Hertz wheel for that price let alone the cost of core to use. if everything else on the car is exact then i would be concerned about the wheels being exact too but if that isn't the case then the repro wheels are a excellent substitute . Thank goodness they are available.

9. rita shipley

rita shipley New Member

I posted 2 pic of the 14x6 chrome magnum wheels. Thanks for any information.

10. Bob Gaines

I don't find any pictures?

11. 6s524

6s524 Well-Known Member

12. SHELB66

SHELB66 Member

The wheels do appear to be correct Hertz wheels from your 2 pictures. The profile is right on! Measure the backspacing as it should be right around 3-1/2". From looking at your first pic and also seeing that the weld line for the center section is more towards the back of the wheel (as opposed to being in the center), I believe you have the real deal!

Craig R.

13. Bob Gaines

The pictures appear to be the correct Hertz wheels . The Mopar ones have the center welded closer to the edge of were the rim profile drops off.

14. rita shipley

rita shipley New Member

All four wheels have a backspace of 3.5 inches. Thanks for your help, I am excited to know that they are originals.