Join Shelby Forums Today

Ken Miles, in UK,on getting his Cobra refused race entry

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Mar 16, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I don't have Trevor Legate's book right now to see the picture but I heard there's a picture of Ken Miles at Goodwood 1963 with a Cobra being scrutineered. Unfortunately it failed because of eligibilty of steering and suspension parts not being correct and he was not allowed to enter. In another description of him going to Goodwood there was something about the wheels and/or tires being too large. If it was suspension, I read that his car had Heim jointed suspension where the other Cobras didn't --wouldn't that have forced him to run in modified class in the U.S.? I think he eventually got into Goodwood in another car.

On a site called
    I found this entry where it says
    Did Not Start.
    Shelby Cobra #CSX2131 or CSX2142 - Ford V8 2v OHV 4727 cc N/A GT+3.0
    John Willment Autos -
    Front-engined
    Driven by: Jack Sears (GB)/Ken Miles (GB) Result: did not start
    Grid: (1:31.000)
    Sponsors: unknown Colours: unknown
    Tyres: Goodyear

I know he was proud of being British and being a member of the BRDC (had his own decal on the Cobra he usually ran) and would have liked to show off his Cobra affiliation to fellow Brits, but not sure if he achieved that ambition.
    (And sorry, don't have the Register which would no doubt answer that). He later on went to Lakeside track in Australia with a 427 Cobra and was going to put on a good show there but the car broke