Join Shelby Forums Today

The last real GT40s to be assembled--are these the ones that came from Ford?

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by bitzman, Mar 7, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I thought I read a few years ago that Ford found three unfinished GT40 chassis and sent them to Brian Wingfield in the UK to finish them out. But when I tried to look up these cars, I found a site for Willment cars (who used to run GT40s in competition)

http://www.willmentcars.com/1991_97/gt_40.html

and they say in 1994, the Willment family, who had raced GT40s “back in the day” took some unassembled tubs of GT40s left over from the end of period production in 1969 and decided to send them over to Brian Wingfield to finish them out as complete G40s with engines by Stuart Mathieson at Mathwall Engineering. Ford later displayed them and one, P-1089, was even issued a Historic Technical Passport (No. 20392) by the FIA. I had thought the unfinished cars had come from FoMoCo, but anyway, my question is: Are these the same cars that were in the announcement a few years ago, and, if so, why has only one been issued that all important passport (or maybe that's one planned to be raced)
    The chassis numbers mentioned on the site are P1086, P1087, P1088 and P1089 though the article I read years ago only mentioned three cars.

2. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Wally,
    Please, please, borrow some money and buy a Registry! If you can't raise the money, at least ask someone you know with one to look at theirs before posting your interpretation of history. :noway:

Ford did not find any unfinished GT40 chassis. All original GT40 chassis were produced by Abbey Panels. Three unused serials numbers P/1087,88,89 reserved for John Willment were finally built in the mid/late 90's by Wingfield using NEW TENNENT PANEL CHASSIS. These are not considered original GT40's

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

so you're saying if the FIA gave it a license to race
    in vintage racing
    that they are allowing wholly built replicas?
    I am afraid of a deal like when I went to a vintage race at Road America and every Ferrari prototype in the race was a fake!

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Wally, didn't you get thrown out of the Ferrari Club for posting garbage like this? :thumbdown Honestly, you need to grow up, either that or see a shrink and get on some better medication than what you are currently taking. Next thing you'll be posting is that it was you who invented the Mangusta/Pantera all those years ago.