Join Shelby Forums Today

Listers imported from UK by Shelby

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Mar 2, 2012.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I found a ref. in an old Competition Press that said
    Shelby had put in an order for ten Lister cars
    from the UK and was putting Chevy V8s in them.
    then I saw an ad that advertised three of them from
    the dealership called Hall-Shelby Motors, the "Hall" being
    Dick Hall, brother of Jim Hall, the Chaparral guy.
    I was wondering how the Listers did, if Shelby indeed took delivery
    of then of them. I guess they are more famous in the UK for running with Jaguar engines. I don't know if they are street drivable, I wouldn't recognize one from a picture but I have seen some pretty strange things on the street, like a McLaren race car.

2. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Wally, You're trying to skew history again. Jim Hall & Carroll Shelby were the first US importers of Listers and they installed Chevy V8's in seven cars.

3. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

SOP when he does not agree with the facts. I believe this is one reason why he is SOL with the Ferrari group these days and why he now trolls the Shelby related forums with false innuendos. Shame too because if he devoted as much time to the document-able facts, he'd have a new book on the market already. :whistle:

4. bitzman

gee, so touchy!

Sorry if a mere historical question offends somebody who only wants one "authorized" version of history. Here's what prompted my question: I am in the process of reading thousands of pages in an archive. I read in a 52-year old newspaper a couple of days ago that Shelby and Hall imported ten Listers, and, having never read about Listers before,
    I was merely asking if they followed through on bringing in all ten. Now you say seven (without citing any source, mine was Competition Press) If it can be substantiated that seven was the number brought in, I would say that it's 3/4 of the way to the target so I would venture to say they were largely successful. The interesting thing when you read through a lot of old papers in chronological order is that you see a first inkling of some thing happening --maybe one line--and then, as you move forwards in time, you see it either become a bigger deal or fade away. For instance, I found out Eric Broadley was already visiting the US arranging to sell Lolas in 1959, so now I have to plow through another few hundred papes to find out what happened--if he was already planning on endurance racing.

5. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Wally,
    There are many articles on the Listers including the Chevy powered ones. I'm not going to do your homework, just trying to correct some of your 'created' history. :doh:
    Maybe you can give Rob Walton a call and ask him about the history of the 1959 Costin Lister-Chevrolet he owns and races. :whistle:

6. bitzman

Billionaires probably don't give out their phone numbers...

..but I'll send him a postcard inquiry. Thanks for the tip. As I got along further in reading the Competition Press issues, I found Lister already went out of business in '59.
    Maybe that was because they were still building front engined cars in what was becoming a mid-engined age.