Join Shelby Forums Today

Original finish on 1966 Shelby/Mustang Parts

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Garry L. Mohr, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Garry L. Mohr

Garry L. Mohr New Member

I was curious about the original finish on the following parts for a 1966 Shelby/Mustang. Throttle Bell Crank Assembly, License Plate Lamp Assembly, Trunk Latch, Trunk Lid Striker Plate, Wire Type Filler Neck Hose Clamps, Seat Belt Bolts/Eyes, Glove Compartment Door Catch, Trap Door Catch, Hinge Prop to Trunk Access Door, and Fuel Filler Neck. Regarding the Fuel Filler Neck, mine (original to the car) almost appears to have a lead coating on it, is that correct? Is there a book I can purchase which would help me with the correct finishes for the car, and how they can be applied?

Thanks Again For Any Info,
    Garry

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Start here

http://www.mustang.org/content.php/185-Mustang-Judging-Rules

3. Snakepit

Snakepit Well-Known Member

The MCA Judging Rules as mentioned above is a good basic start for some of the finishes. Unfortunately no current set of rules have enough room in that sort of format to list every little detail. For that see the comment below

Yes originally they were coated with lead (I'm using tin for the same purpose)

No book has been printed (IMHO stay away from the ones that have been ;) with all the finishes and details your likely looking for. If there was it would be out of date almost the minute it was printed.

To get the most recent/current understanding of what was done (we're learning all the time) seek out the benefits of one of the good forums and always mention when and where the car was built so that you will get the best and most correct response. These details are important as we've found that details differ between plants and even time periods within a production year

You can use this site, the SAAC forum or ConcoursMustang.com - all are monitored by pretty much the same group of experienced owners and judges more than willing to provide input.

Hope we can help