Join Shelby Forums Today

Series 1 Owners -- Interested in a removable hardtop?

Discussion in 'Shelby Limited Editions' started by SHELBYSERIES1, Feb 7, 2012.

1. SHELBYSERIES1

SHELBYSERIES1 New Member

Greetings all,

I own #241 and love it. What a great car these are both from a looks and performance perspective. Would love to strike up a forum here with other owners where we can ask questions, swap stories, find parts, etc. If you are an owner please add to this thread. Pictures of mine are located on my website:

http://www.viewmyrides.com/99_Shelby_Series_1_GAF4.php

I've been doing some research on these cars and came across one of the original designers Leonard Dodd. His shop helped build the first 2 prototypes of the car. He informed me that the original prototype included a removable hardtop. Gave it a bit of a Daytona Coupe look.

Would any of you guys be interested in purchasing a hardtop for your Series 1 if I can get Leonard to dust off his designs? He indicated that he could do it in bagged carbon (highest $) down to poly or epoxy glass (lowest). Given the low production numbers for the Series 1, I'm sure the cost to produce a few would be a little pricey but I think it would be worth it to have the only Series 1s with a removable hardtop some day. I will contact Leonard today and see if we can get a few drawings and I will post them. Let me know if you are interested in getting more information about a possible hardtop build.

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Leonard Dodd, was he the one who built cars for engineer Peter Bryant?

Peter Bryant, a famed race car designer, told me he commissioned two Series I prototypes that were smaller than the one that was produced. Are those the ones you are referring to? Do they look different? On the cover of Automobile magazine, there was a dark blue prototype that looked a lot different than the eventual production car, that prototype designed by Michael Mate, who was more of a car illustrator (and fine artist) than a car designer.Is Leonard Dodd a car designer, engineer or fabricator, or all three? If the car looked different can you post a picture of it? I believe that Mr. Bryant wanted a different engine but can't see how that could happen if the money was coming from Oldsmobile. Mr. Bryant wrote his own book, which I will see if I can find on ebay.

3. Radius

Radius Member

I would definitely be interested. Silver with Maroon Stripes car 194. On another subject, I would be interested in a adding a supercharger to my model.
    Are any of the original superchargers still around?

4. DSR31

DSR31 Member

I too would be interested in a Hardtop so long as it is water-tight! Ever drive a Series1 in the rain? A wet experience to say the least.
    Hope this gets some traction. :dance: