Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 Ford Shelby G.T.500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by rshelby, May 4, 2005.

Are you planning to purchase a 2007 Shelby Mustang G.T.500?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. I need to see/drive the car before I decide.

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. TruBlu01

TruBlu01 Member

The Facts: 5.4L, 4V, S/C, Live Axle. Anything else you "hear" is BS! I don't care if your sister's, friend's daughter's brother-in-law's, Dad works for Ford or SVT for that matter, the dealers know as much as about we do!

2. R. La Barre

R. La Barre Well-Known Member

Fact or fantasy? Things change. Has anyone else read the article in this month's "Car & Driver" regarding the recall problems w/ the GT? One of the issues is an improper finish on the crank, causing oil leaks. I'm sure Ford will do what ever it takes to minimize/illiminate after production costs for fixes. If that means using a different engine, so be it. I'd rather wait for a product that is flaw free than get something that will be recalled. :rolleyes:

3. TruBlu01

TruBlu01 Member

Then your better off waiting for 2008 if they produce them for a few years! A V10 in Stang from the factory is a dream somebody had and thought they'd pass it on. And very rarley the stats of a car change so drastic. The fact are on SVT website and don't believe anything else you hear.

4. R. La Barre

I've been a Ford & Mustang guy for over forty years and have a high level of confidance in their products. And besides, it's great fun discussing whatever is in the rumor mill. I only believe what I see. The car described on svt.ford, & seen at the NYC show, is the 'show car'; nothing I've heard or read says it is the production offering. We're just having fun speculating. :D

5. BLU SHLB

BLU SHLB Active Member

Yeah, my guess is they will stick with the S/C V8. Now the real question is....When will they be delivered!? :confused:

6. ellhef

ellhef Member

Ummmmmm...... :blink:

7. ColdwaterHotRod

ColdwaterHotRod Well-Known Member

I seen the 2007 Shelby Mustang GT 500 on the cover of Car & Driver magazine & had to buy it. I read the article, studied the photos & just fell in love with it. I then started researching SVT Dealers & found one 60 miles away in another state. When I got their and enquired about the 2007 Shelby, they told me they would have to take my name and number.

He then said he would call me when they got more information on it & then take a deposit over the phone by credit card. I asked about my Ford Discount & he said that Ford was not discounting the car for employees or associates with A,X,& Z plans! They said Ford sets the rules as to when they (the Dealer) can accept the discounts & that includeds the new 2005 Mustang GT this year (something to do with crediting the dealer at a later time after the sale) and that they expect the same thing on the Cobra when it comes out. He mentioned that if he can only get (5) five cars, the 1st (5) people on the list have 1st crack at them... I was #6. He wouldn't let me put a deposit down either until he had more information on it. Does anyone know when they are going to come out with the final numbers or do we have to keep searching the web for more information as to when or how soon we can get in line?

8. R. La Barre

I'd recomend you read all of the messages on all of the related threads. There is a lot of information regarding what people have been told and are experiencing w/ their Ford/SVT dealers. At least the dealer with whom you spoke seems to be ethical; that's a very good thing these days. Good luck!

9. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

Keep your name on that list, #6 is not a bad spot in line at this point in the game.

10. Hraesvelg

Hraesvelg Member

Where can you find the location of an SVT dealer?

-Jeffrey (Is new to Mustangs)

11. 2007GT500

Here you go - Ford SVT Dealer Locator

Use the pull down menu and select SVT product.

12. Hraesvelg

Hraesvelg Member

Thanks!

Anyone heard anything on final pricing? One dealer I talked to said they were going to sell one of theirs on E-BAY and the other one off the lot.

13. R. La Barre

Nothing final that I've heard on pricing; but the Ford rep. I spoke to at the NYC Show told me their goal is to keep the base car (before options) under $40K. I'd also suggest you try to find a dealer who is expecting more than two cars, and try to talk to a saleman most familiar w/ SVTs; admittedly not easy to do. It will increase your odds of getting one if you're REALLY interested. Even if you need to go to another State, this car should be worth it! You mention that you're new to Mustangs. Welcome to the world of Ponydom. Is the GT500 the only Mustang in which you're interested? Or is the redesign for '05 what piqued your new interest? Rusty

14. Hraesvelg

Hraesvelg Member

The redesign really interested me. However, I'm not too crazy about the solid rear axel as I do like to turn AND go fast, but from what I've read it's not bad at all. I am concerned about a first year production car, as I've experienced problems with my Nissan 350Z and Infiniti G35 coupe that were later corrected. But I seem to remember reading there will be a limited production of these GT500's, so I'm kinda torn between waiting a year for the first year problems to be ironed out and getting one for fear of availibility or price gouging, I refuse to pay over sticker.

Kind of off topic but I also looked at the Saleen Mustangs, they seem to be using the same 4.6 L engine that comes stock with the Mustang GT, the Extreme version has 500HP but at a cost of $65k. I think the Cobra is a better deal and the engine less stressed considering the Fe Block and larger displacement. I don't mean to step on any toes but it seems the Saleen is overpriced.

15. TruBlu01

TruBlu01 Member

Saleens are WAY overpriced. You get looks and comfort. S281 are like 45K :eek: You get interior, ground effects, wheels, some exhaust, suspension and not much more HP.

16. R. La Barre

I agree w/ your assesment of Saleen pricing. My dealer has an '05 Stage I w/ a sticker of almost $37K!?! That's a Stage I, sans drive train upgrades. A Saleen was never on my wish list, even before I heard about the GT500.

The Ford rep. I spoke w/ at the NYC show said two very interesting things as a result of the questions I asked. One, the redesign of the '05 was done w/ the GT500 in mind; take a moment to realize how important that is. The entire suspension package, strong but compliant rear and relocated true MacPherson Strut front, was designed to accept larger engine options. Second, they plan to produce between 7200 and 7500 units to cover development costs. That would mean a multi-year availability. As I recall, they made about 7000 from '67 to '70. Also, w/ their separate Cobra assembly line introduced for '03, first year teething problems were greatly reduced. I just don't want to wait another year for the car I've been waiting for the past 10 years.

17. Hraesvelg

Hraesvelg Member

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but I feel the same way about the Roush (sp?) mustangs. Just too much money for what you get! Ideally I'd like to get a second year production Cobra, I just hope they keep making them.

18. BLU SHLB

BLU SHLB Active Member

Re: 2007 Ford Shelby G.T.500 (UPDATE)

So, here is the latest news that I've come across on the upcoming GT 500. :huh:
    The Design
    In it's current NY Auto Show look, is about 85% to what will be produced and sold to the public.
    So what will change?

So far the guys at SVT are working on the front scoop/vent to make it more cooling effient. That may mean making the grille a little taller than what we've seen so far. This will enable more air to move throgh the engine compartment, out the top vents. The vent may need to be made larger too.

They are talking about pulling the splitter in more, in order to make it more curb/driveway/tow-truck flatbed friendly.

Finally, I heard that the rear spoiler will stay, but the "S H E L B Y" lettering across that lid, will be moved to one side. Reason for that change is because it would be too expensinve to "rework" the read deck in order to accomodate the third breake light in the spoiler vs. keeping it in the same location as it is now on the GT. Plus the fact that if it were mounted on the spoler, it would be "down firing' so to speak, and the D.O.T would not approve it.

-FYI still no plans to add side coops as the original G.T. 500, as it would be non-functional. And no definite color combos as of yet. (Though I am praying for Blue w/ white stripes! :rolleyes: )

Engine
    No to much new news on it, but I was told the minimum H.P. would be 450. They won't really say what they're shooting for, until they get approval, but it sounds as if they're shooting for the maxium they can get, with approval.

I persaonlly am a little disapointed that the read spoiler and lettering won't be what we've seen so far. I thought it was beautiful the way it was. Interesting tidbit: Ever notice there's no valve stem on the show car's rims? That's because it doesn't have to meet the same D.O.T standards as the production car will. The valves are actually on the inside of the rim. :doh:
    So, there you have it. Still want one? ;)

19. ellhef

ellhef Member

Re: 2007 Ford Shelby G.T.500 (UPDATE)

:thumbsup: Yes. :thumbup:

20. 2007GT500

Yeah I still want one. Out of curiosity, where does your information come from?