Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 Ford Shelby G.T.500

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by rshelby, May 4, 2005.

Are you planning to purchase a 2007 Shelby Mustang G.T.500?

1. Yes

60 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. I need to see/drive the car before I decide.

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. dcheriya

dcheriya New Member

does anyone know if the shelby gt 500 will be available in the 2008 model year as well as 2007?

the ford dealer told me that it is unlikely, and they have already filled up their list for the 07s.

2. R. La Barre

R. La Barre Well-Known Member

First, the 2007 model is expected to be available in the fall of 2006. Second, SVT dealers are getting a proportioned number of units based on their past volume. The dealer you spoke to may not be getting many; while other, larger volume, dealers may still have availability on the 2007. Third, dealers can only take names for now; get on a wait list.

I'd recommend that you research other SVT dealers to locate one w/ units still available. The other side of the coin is that your dealer may not be correct in stating a single year of production. That sounds more like sales hype. The Ford Rep. I spoke to at the NY Auto Show said they would be making them for a few years. Any Shelby/Ford product I can think of was produced for more than one year. Good luck

3. McQueen

McQueen Member

I had heard the same thing,that possible the GT500 would be out for a couple
    of years. I know they are coming out with a new Mach 1 followed by a new
    Boss in the next couple of years, all I can say is keep trying and find an honest dealer
    Mcqueen

4. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

I just put my name on the list at my local ford dealer. I think I am about number 40. Did not have to give any money to have my name on the list. When they know how many cars they will get then they will start calling from the list to place the orders. At this time a deposit of about $5,000 will be required. The salesman said that the list will get very small when it is time to place the order and the deposit is required.

5. R. La Barre

2kul4u, did your dealer give you any time frame for when the deposit might be necessary? Mine had no idea as of a few weeks ago. Rusty

6. Michael

Michael Well-Known Member

Rusty, the deposit will be required when the dealer places the actual order for the car with the color and options I specify and we agree on the final price which should be MSRP and nothing more. He thinks the dealers will be able to place the orders next spring or early summer but is not sure.

7. McQueen

McQueen Member

That list has to get down quite a bit. I was told that most dealers will be receiving somewhere between 8-11 cars depending on their past sales of SVT vechicals. I tkink Ford is only making 7-8,000 GT500's and they have to spread those out amongst all their dealers.
    McQueen

8. R. La Barre

2kul; thanks for that info. If it pans out that way, it'll fit my plans perfectly.

9. GLHSHELBY

GLHSHELBY Member

In the poll ford isn`t mentioned in front of the shelby name. This is a ford car so I don`t believe it will increase in value if it were a real shelby that would be different.

10. GLHSHELBY

GLHSHELBY Member

I see it in the forum listed as ford first so I see they corrected it.

11. ellhef

ellhef Member

I will be buying one as long as they are making a 2009 model or at least there are some 2008's available when I graduate college....I guess we shall see what happens with all that.

12. Big_Slick737

Big_Slick737 Active Member

I Wanted to share my experience with 2 local dealerships, as far as getting on the list for the GT500. The first did not know if they had a list going, and after further inquires, they wanted a 2K deposit for a list that didnt exist. The second dealership had a list going with no deposit required, but when they place their orders, the people on the list would not have any choices of colors or options. So its a take it or leave it senario. "Your choice is you either like what the dealer ordered or you can pass on it. " Direct quote from the dealership.
    Yes im planning on buying one, and im going to get on a list somewhere... but im continuing my search of dallas/ft worth area dealers, and hopefully find one that has their act together. Ill keep you informed if I get any new and good insite.
    I can't wait... is 2006 here yet !!!!

13. R. La Barre

Slick737; thanks for that info. I'm not sure I'll still be here in MD by the time the GT500 is available, so I checked out a dealer in NC. That guy was clueless! He asked me if I'd want the 5-speed!?! He was told they may be getting TWO & didn't know about a list, so he took my vital info. My local dealer has been in line w/ what I've been hearing, which confirms your info. regarding choices. He says when they know what they're getting you can choose and make a deposit or be dropped. Where you are on the list is key to having the greatest choices. I'm sure I'll be able to find some color combo acceptable of the six they are expecting! Rusty

14. Big_Slick737

Here is the latest and best information I have come across. Talked to a Dealership north of the dallas area. They were taking $500 Deposits for
    getting on the list. When the time comes for them to place their orders, they
    will contact the people on the list and draw up contracts. They will then get the individuals order preferences, ie color and other preferences.

After that the orders will be placed and with the contract in place they will
    have the MRSP price of the car, and will not add any Dealer markups to
    the MRSP price. I like the sound of that, hopefully everyone
    can find a dealership that will do the same for them.

JUST FYI: The head SVT guy at this dealership, said they had just gotten
    out of a meeting and SVT and Ford is considering a different Engine for the
    Shelby GT500 and are will be running some tests to see if a change is in order.
    Apparrently they are considering some sort of V-10 Engine. Anyone else hear this speculation???

15. ellhef

ellhef Member

I hope not, that would make it have even worse gas mileage than is predicted now and it will bump it into the realm of ridiculous, IMO. If they change it to a V10, they will lose a customer in 2009.

16. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

WHAT? :blink: A V10? :blink:

17. R. La Barre

We all are aware of how Ford mix & matches what they have into something new and they usually set expectation goals for performance & MSRP. If they have discovered overheating issues w/ the blown 5.4 (sourced from either the Lightning or GT), taking a look at their truck/RV V10 would be a plausable substitute. As I recall, the V10 has diesel-like torque #s and does not require high octane fuel. Being a modular, it should fit. My concern would not be fuel mileage (if that's an issue don't consider a GT500); my concern would be weight and the resulting balance of the car; I do not want another nose heavy Fox. If the V10 could be done in aluminium w/o sacrificing durability or performance, it could be a winner. Wasn't there a Mach IV, or some numeral, show car a while back that had a V10? And of course there is the GR-1 & Cobra; both w/ V10s. If whatever they come up with is a well balanced Corvette beater for under $40K and has CS's name on it, I'm in! :guns:

18. Big_Slick737

That is what he said... they are testing a V-10 to use instead of the 5.4 liter Supercharged V8. They are wanting to get a full 500hp + out of the engine and can't get there with the 5.4 liter V8, without stressing the engine too much.
    So they are running tests and are considering a change, depending on the results.

19. 2007GT500

2007GT500 Well-Known Member

Oh mamma, hang on. I could only imagine what a 500HP V10 under my right foot will feel like. Do we really have to wait another 14-16 months?

P.S. Yeah, I know it's still a rumor. I'm just daydreaming at work to keep myself busy. :whistle:

20. R. La Barre

For me, 18 months is not too long to wait for a 500HP Mustang w/ CSs name attached. I'm glad they are shooting for a HP rating to equal the GT500 nomenclature! That would surely shorten the waitlist to only those who could afford the insurance on top of the price of the car. This gives more incentive to keep a clean driving record from now 'till then. Isn't there an addage about the anticipation being as much fun as the final event? :dance: