Join Shelby Forums Today

New Cobra Book: "Shelby Cobra: 50 Years"

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by rshelby, Aug 27, 2011.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Shelby Cobra Fifty Years

Shelby Cobra Fifty Years

Here is a link to the new book by Colin Comer.

Product Description
    In the early 1960s Carroll Shelby, a Texas chicken farmer turned champion race driver, had the audacity to think he could start his own car manufacturing company. To further emphasize the gargantuan proportions of his vision, Shelby decided his company would manufacture nothing but ultra-high-performance sports cars, beginning with the landmark Cobra, introduced in 1962. To the amazement of everyone except Ol’ Shel’ himself, Shelby Automobiles succeeded beyond anyone’s wildest expectations, building cars that would provide the benchmarks for performance (benchmarks that stand to this day) and winning world championships in the process. Shelby Cobra Fifty Years is a complete history of Shelby’s Cobra sports cars. Beginning with a prologue about the events that led up to Shelby’s decision to build a high-performance sports car, the main portion of the book tells the history of the production Cobra street cars and race cars, ending with an epilogue about the continuation cars.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Re: Shelby Cobra Fifty Years

I was checking Amazon yesterday to see if the Shelby Cobra Fifty Years book has been released yet and it has not but I also noticed that Colin Comer has released a new 2012 Shelby Calendar. They do not have any pictures of the inside, just the cover, but it is only $11.89 so it may be worth checking out.

RS

3. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Howdy guys,

I dont often recommend books but I wanted to write this little post about a book I received today. I usually am pretty cynical about new books on the cars we so love but Shelby Cobra: 50 Years by Colin Comer turned out to be quite a nice book. I have been reading this book all day and the quality of pictures in this thing is absolutely amazing. Although, unavoidably, many of the vintage pictures have been seen before, i was actually quite happy to see some vintage shots which i had yet to see. Further, the modern pictures are nothing short of mouthwatering. The book features many hi-res shots of original cobras and undoubtedly has pictures of more original Cobras in it then any book outside the registry..and they are in hi-res color to boot. The book also contains quite a few nice interviews with SA staff and a few sections on people whose importance to the Cobra legend tends to get lost behind the other bigger names that we tend to hear so much about.

[​IMG]

Of course, it is only fair to say that i did contribute to the book within the Collectibles section, but i am making this post purely because the book really is worth having. It even has, as mentioned in the preceding sentence, a whole section on cobra collectibles, which is great to see considering that collectibles have never really gotten their rightful place in the spotlight with the cars themselves.

Most new books written on Cobras and Shelbys outside the SAAC Registry do tend to disappoint, but not this one. Bottom line, at $26.40 on Amazon with Free Shipping, this book is an absolute steal. I would have paid $100 for this book all day long.

I consider you all my friends here on the forum, so I wouldnt steer you guys wrong, this book is worth your money..hell, the pictures in darned thing are with more then the whole book is selling for.

Best regards,
    Vern

4. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

+1 Vern. Mine arrived today also. Spent the last 2 1/2 hour with it. The quality of the photos and the paper is tops! You're right about the value, the book should be selling for a lot more.

5. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

I would be willing to Bet that more Books have been Writen about the COBRA then any other Vehicle.

6. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The book is a must have for anyone with interest in these cars.... period.
    Very nice work by everyone involved ! GO FOR IT !!
    P.D.

7. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Book has been released, got one last week. Good value for the Amazon.com
    price. Only found a couple of mistakes. High quality paper. Jeff Burgy's shots of the Ford experimental body Cobras are superb. Good historical shots, many not seen before. Full review on Sportscardigest.com