Join Shelby Forums Today

2010 gt-500 ..... severe rear end issues

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by bstonmike, Oct 4, 2011.

1. bstonmike

bstonmike Member

Hi ..... proud owner of 2010 gt-500 Back and silver stripe, got major issue everytime I goose her a bit pulling out. Sounds like rear ende gonna fall out !!!! is shelby / ford looking into this? I cant be only 1 saying this !!!!!:guns::guns:

2. Firekiller

Firekiller Member

Sounds like your upper control arm is loose or bent. Had same problem after HP mods and replaced it with an adjustable UCA AND mounting bracket. No problems since. Stock parts are flimsy metal.

rshelby likes this.
  3. bstonmike

bstonmike Member

HEY ......... first I'd like to ty for responding ..... now since I have never been under there, I'm gonna guess the UCA is attached to rear end and is mounted somewhere to the body or chasis:eek:? Gonna look tommorrow (11/6) but if you see this gimme an idea of the positioning? Thanx a whole lot !!!!!!! Gimme my old '66 coup back anyday very VERY easy to work on

4. 2112

2112 Member

on a 08', it connects the top of the differential to the chassis. To remove the mount (I suggest you get a beefier mount too) pull your rear seat to access the forward thru bolt. You may have to drop the axle down to access everything from underneath.

Attached Files:

rshelby likes this.
  5. Firekiller

Firekiller Member

Your upper control arm is located on top of your differential (or pumpkin), it goes from on top of pumpkin to the body under back seat and bolts to chassis there. I had that clunking noise when I would accelerate or let of of gas without pushing the clutch in. When I looked at it I could not tell if it was bent or loose, but I crawled under the car with it turned off ans in gear and no E-brake and rocked the car (put wheels chocks in for safety) and I could see it moving and hear it clunking.

If you think that is the problem, get a new UCA and bracket and have them replaced together, it will save you another service bill later. Hope this helps and let me know the outcome.

6. bstonmike

bstonmike Member

Hi I realize it has been very long time since this post....... but wondered if I could get a little more help.
    Do you suggest dealership do work? where can I find a reasonable priced part, I am driveway mechanic, doesn't sound too complicated. Thanx very much for help. Oh 1 more thing. I find the stock tires to be too soft, and burn off too quick. Is there a recomended replacement you know of?

7. Firekiller

Firekiller Member

Hi sorry it has been so long in replying. Yes yo can do the UCA yourself, but you may need help from an extra person. You need to get the car p on jackstands to get enough clearance and you may have to loosen the front of the gas tank to get arm out/in. I have heard of many others need to but I have heard many others not needing to, I think it depends on yor car and experience. Again sorry to take so long to reply, but have been doing a lot of traveling lately.