Join Shelby Forums Today

barn find 427 cobra at Santa Monica pier show

Discussion in 'Shelby Cobra' started by bitzman, Sep 19, 2011.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I went to the Pier show at the Santa Monica pier Saturday and
    was amazed to see a very cosmetically trashed 427 Cobra SC
    displayed by Anthony Boosalis of the LaCanda flintridge area. It was part blue and part gold, I guess gold first and blue second with the blue falling off in shards. It had side pipes
    and the wider rear wheels, big quik-fill cap, aircraft battery, etc.
    I neglected to write down the serial number but Anthony said it
    was part of the run of S/C cars made when the cars failed to sell as race cars.
    I neglected to find out if it has a racing history. I also didn't ask
    (it's soooo protetarian to ask about money, right? ) the cost but I heard someone walking by say something North of one million. I would say this is a "barn find" only in that it was neglected unrestored for decades but not a barn find in the strict sense if one had to pay probably the highest price yet for an unrestored Cobra. When i was looking for barn finds 30 years ago (not Cobras) the defination was understood to apply to cars where the owner/seller was unaware of current market trends and you
    could "steal" it from him. Anybody else know any details of who had the car; why it was unrestored for so long, etc. I'd post a picture but don't know
    how--maybe I can paint a picture if my film turns out good (yeh, still shooting film...)

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

[​IMG]

E-mail me the pics and I'll post them.:thumbup:

3. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

That is the well known car, CSX3047. Wally, borrow a Registry...:wacko:

4. steveshelbymustang

steveshelbymustang Well-Known Member

3047 Pictured on the Pier... http://http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/all-cobra-talk/112589-lasaac-show-santa-monica-pier-9-17-11-a.html

5. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

6. computerworks

computerworks Well-Known Member

Wally, seriously...you have to keep up on this stuff.

3047 is one of two S/Cs that were painted Hertz Gold at the factory. The other one has been "refreshed."

This one had the original gold under its prior blue paint. (as well as some nifty vintage bondo).

A choice was made to preserve the undercoat of gold. You may decide if it was a good idea. ;)

7. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

8. Morgansandphillips

Morgansandphillips Member

We have a lot more photos from the show at On our facebook page, but here are some more.

Attached Files:

9. Cobra Ned

Cobra Ned Member

The growing interest in "barn find" cars is great. It shows an appreciation for a car that has, theoretically, been untouched for some time and is presumably unrestored, since few people go through the trouble and expense of restoring a vehicle only to then let it sit and collect dirt, dust, cobwebs, and who knows what else.

I recall this Cobra from back in the early 70's when a friend, Carter Gette of Millbrook, NY owned it. It was still wearing its factory Hertz Gold paint at that time, but it was tired. There were some dents in the car; there were small areas of minor body damage, and the car essentially needed a some repair and a repaint. This it received, with a fresh coat of blue metallic offset with white stripes, applied around 1973.

Fast forward to 2010. The blue paint is starting to show its age, and the interest in "unrestored" vehicles has grown exponentially. From which a "what if?" session began, along the lines of, "since the blue paint appears to have been casually applied almost 30 years ago, and can be scraped off with a fingernail in spots, what if we were to remove it the rest of it and return the car back to its original gold finish?"

A fine idea, spoiled only by the fact that the gold was pretty well worn when the repaint occurred, and was scuffed further in preparation for paint. Plus, the bondo around the nose had no gold paint on it, and some of the blue paint didn't want to let go of its grip, and had to remain. Which meant that the car took on the appearance of a somewhat neglected barn find even if it really wasn't.

Whether a nicely restored car is preferable to a tatty "Barn find" is up to the car's owner. But as for me, I think that when it's time to repaint a car for the third time, stripping off paint job #2 to get back to the original one, after many years, is probably not the direction I will take.

10. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

:laf: Ha, ha, I'm surprised the blue actually scraped off as well as it did.

11. mrmustang

Let's just say that it's last curator "Steve" spent a lot of time to make that happen.

Bill S.

12. Cobra Ned

Cobra Ned Member

Yes, but I suspect Steve will never buy another Swiss Army knife, ever.

13. mrmustang

Or tweezers for that matter :doh:

14. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

When this car was advertised in Autoweek in 1971, what was the price?

Of course then it was just a used car. I recall a restored one in early '70s going for $10,000 so this must have been less. Does anyone have the old ad? Thanx