Join Shelby Forums Today

2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 Clutch Issue(s). PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by hsd, Sep 12, 2011.

1. hsd

hsd New Member

Hi everyone,

My 2011 GT500 (original manufacture date of 04/2010, 15,000 miles) recently experienced "clutch-slipping" problems.

AR3Z-7A508-A CYLINDER ASY-CLUTCH SLAVE
    AR3Z-6375-A FLYWHEEL ASY
    BR3Z-7B546-C CLUTCH ASY
    W7022600-S439 BOLT
    PM-1-C FLUID-BRAKE

TOTAL COST WITH LABOR: $ 2414.04

I know there are multiple TSBs out for clutch related issues for 2007-2009 Mustangs [TSB 09-19-11, 10-3-8]. The top two parts listed above here (Cylinder Asy and Clutch Asy) are part of the TSB 09-19-11 for 2007-2009 Mustangs. I tried to point this out to the dealership, as well as ford customer service, to no help! They said that it is due to "normal wear-tear"??? I am solo owner of the car, basically only drive the car to and from work, embarrassingly have never raced...???

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Could I use the TSB for model years 2007-2009 to explain/justify the issues for my 2011 mustang? Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. bstonmike

bstonmike Member

WATCH OUT MY FRIEND ..... had same issue at 8,000 miles on my gt-500 cruise was even kicking out not enuff grab . They blamed all on me cost me almost 4,000 less than 1 yr. after purchase. Shelby engineers say no way I could burn Double racing clutch. Ford inspector was inclined to dump all on me:mad::mad::mad::mad:

3. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

The answer to this is no. The reason: The clutch concern TSB only applies to 2007-2009 cars.

My advice is to try a different dealer if the current one won't repair it under warranty.

4. johngt500

johngt500 Member

I had the same problem with my 2009 GT500 at 9,300 miles. Warranty did not cover wearable parts such as clutches. However, my dealer - Crossroads Ford of Cary, NC - replaced clutch and flywheel at no charge.

I spoke with an engineer at Ford SVT in Detroit (1-800-367-3788) today, Thu Oct. 6, 2011. He said the problem was caused by hard surfaced pads in the Shelby's racing clutch. Problem - pads could not take the heat build up of stop and go traffic - they would slip/fail, overheat and warp the flywheel. He told me that the replacement clutch I was receiving was the same racing twin ceramic-metallic disc model that was in my Shelby originally, but with newly designed pads which can take the heat build-up of stop and go traffic.

By the way, I have seen comments on here about the synchros being part of the problem. The engineer at SVT said "no, tranny not a cause ...." My dealer checked my synchros anyway and they were fine.

Try other dealers - Shelby dealers in particular. Good luck.

5. joan.henderson@netapp.co

joan.henderson@netapp.co New Member

In similar situation -- 2008 with 11,500 miles clutch is burned out. At Ford dealer being repaired. Expect to be told not covered, but not giving up without a fight.

6. johngt500

johngt500 Member

That's right, do not give up. Work on your dealer, try other dealers, or go to an official Shelby dealer. Tho most dealers have a Shelby or two on hand, most are not Shelby dealers. There is of course no guarantee a Shelby dealer will help you, but it is much more likely since they work on more Shelbys, and know more about the issues out there. My dealer is not my area's Shelby dealer - I bought my Shelby from them used.

Call Ford Customer Service System 1-800-392-3673 and seek help. The people are polite, knowledgeable (as to where to direct your call, at the very least), and there is a minimal of talking to a computer, or waiting to speak to a person.

Call Ford SVT in Detroit (1-800-367-3788), who built the standard 2007-2009 Shelby GT-500s. You'll get right thru. Share any helpful info with your dealer.

Ask your dealer to let you speak to a factory rep. They can be grumpy, but are usually fair in the end. It may take time to see a rep, since they travel.

Note that I never had any problem with Crossroads - they told me about the TSB themselves after they called Ford, Shelby, & SVT. I called Ford and then Ford SVT to get all the info I could about the new clutch being installed - not because I was having any problem with my dealer.

The dealer which repairs your car will be paid, either by Ford or you. Convince them that Ford will pay for your clutch.

7. 2011SHELBYGT500CONV

2011SHELBYGT500CONV New Member

The major probelm seems from shifting from 1-2, I have a slight syncro almost feels like it is going to grind when shifting from 1-2 and 2-3. Do you have that problem too? Clutch is is fine, grabs fine, you think they will say same thing about the syncros or are they totally covered by warranty?

8. johngt500

johngt500 Member

Synchros are covered under the standard warranty. I've had no problem with my Shelby's synchros, but I did have problems with my 2008 Bullitt Mustang's synchros (also a Tremec tranny, but not the 6060 in the Shelby). I could accelerate and downshift quite well, but I could feel a slight glitch going from 1st to 2nd, and again when I downshifted from 4th to 3rd. My dealer repaired my tranny at no charge. I strongly urge to take your car in and have the synchros checked asap. Good luck.

9. cw1300

cw1300 New Member

hello I am new to this site I have an 08 GT500 wich has had numerous clutch issues
    recently my ford dealer who has done all the work on my car told me my new clutch
    that they installed was damaged by me riding the clutch and it is not covered under warranty
    even thou it only had 8000 miles on it. they said it was burned up.

i own an automotive repair shop we build engines,transmissions,rearends for these cars
    as well as a lot of others i took my car home in pieces from the dealer only to find the clutch was
    burned up but what caused the burned up clutch was not the driver.
    we took measurements of the distance of travel on the slave cylinder and found out that
    there is not enough room for the fingers on the pressure plate to rise, once the clutch material starts
    to wear, the slave cylinder runs out of travel and holds pressure on the pressure plate burning up your clutch.

I called my ford dealer to get an engineer but havent had any luck and the dealer didnt want to hear about it
    then called svt which they said i had to contact ford so i did but still no luck

10. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

11. cw1300

cw1300 New Member

yes asked for a engineer from my ford dealer but with no help
    called svt and also ford numeros times but no help trying to get
    other people to check there clutch setup to see if they are all the same problem
    we should not pay the amount we do for these cars and have this much trouble
    without getting help from ford

12. >~~~/`

>~~~/` New Member

hey y'all,

Got 2011 GT500 with just over 4,000 miles on it and I love it - they call it a panty bajo down in Panama, meaning it gets the girls g-strings off slicker than grease lighting. Anyways, my clutch croaked too!

I brought to dealer for clutch repair, after inspection by their 1 and only Ford Master Technician, Eduardo, the part was ordered without asking for any money upfront (this would not happen in Panama under any other circumstance, they all ways ask for money up front for order stuff, but since they considered no-brainer warrantee work) and appointment was scheduled. On July 16 I took the car in, after 2 days they decide to say not a guaranteed service and I was given a bill for $1,700 stating the part is only covered 1 year after sale date. I am shocked but helpless. I later call original selling dealer and they state I should be covered 3 years 36k for the parts. What do I do? Not getting any help from local dealer where car was serviced.

This was the email from the warrantee people in USA supposedly.
    De: Deschaw, Lawrence (L.M.)
    Enviado el: martes, 17 de julio de 2012 12:20 p.m.
    Para: Nobel Ortiz
    Asunto: RE: E&G Warranty Inquiry - Distribuidora David Ford S.A.

The vehicle was purchased in the US and the WSD is Jan 11, 2011 so the vehicle is beyond 12 months base coverage for clutch repairs. At this time the clutch repair is customer responsibility.

My original sale dealer stated the following:
    PART NUMBER: 7B546 (DISC ASY-CLUTCH)
    REPAIR DATE: 07/24/2012
    REPAIR DISTANCE 4000 Miles
    STATE: OH
    IS COVERED UNDER - BUMPER TO BUMPER WARRANTY

The local dealer in Panama charged me as follows:
    (1) CR37-7B546 CLUTCH ASSY (A) $1,132.77
    (1) DR3Z-7A508 CYLINDER CLUTCH (A) $590.38
    I was also charged labor of $357.50 and some other small items like brake cleaner and fluid-br

Total damages: $1,669.21

I do not believe in Ford being built "Ford Tough" I do however believe I am being should "Ford Tough-love" if they don't come clean.

Couple questions before I retied from this rant
    1) Do Master Ford Technicians need to do the work on Shelby's or can any old mechanic at a Ford dealer do this?
    2) Has anyone talked to legal counsel about this?

Thanks in advance for your help