Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby Cobra Original Painting, Road America ca. 1965

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by Classicwatch, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Classicwatch

Classicwatch New Member

Beautiful Cobra oil on canvas painting, by artist "Wise", depicting a paddock scene from what is probably Road America in ca. 1965. This work has a HUGE presence, measuring 48" x 38".

I purchased the painting at a non-automotive event in Carlisle, PA several years ago. One of the more-knowledgeable members of the Cobra community took a look and determined that this was Road America 1965, from the "Gerber Payne Racing Team" trailer, based out of their Ford Dealership in Ypsilanti, Michigan. The #33 car was Bob Johnson, and the #13, Tom Payne. The #10 car could have possible been driven by Dan Gerber. The expert also noted the "Road America" tech sticker on the nose of the Johnson car.

Stylistically, this work appears to have been painted contemporarily to the event. The frame also appears to be period mid-1960's. I have been unable to gather any information on the artist "Wise", but it appears that he was quite passionate regarding his work.

There is a small damaged area in the canvas, toward the rear of the #33 car. This could stand to be professionally repaired, but the work displays well as-is. I have had this on the wall of my office for 6 years or so- it's time for a change. I can ship the work as it is, but it might be safer and less expensive to remove it from the frame, and ship it knocked down. Reassembly of the frame would be quite simple, and the painting could stand to be slightly re-stretched when mounting.

E-mail with questions, or for additional views of the painting.

$3250/offers

Attached Files:

2. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

very nice artwork - who was your 'expert' and did he value the work ?
    cheers.

3. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

I would assume this is by Wallace Wyss who goes under the name "Bitzman" elsewhere on the forum.....;)

Vern

4. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Vern,

Have you checked the OP IP with WW's? :whistle:

5. Classicwatch

Classicwatch New Member

Thanks for the advice on this. This is signed "Wise", and I believe this was painted in the 60's. I don't know if Wallace Wyss was painting back then- I thought he got into painting later in his career.

Ed

6. vernonestes

Editing my post. My suspicions have been answered about the piece have been answered.

Best regards,
    Vern

7. Classicwatch

Classicwatch New Member

I am the owner of the painting, and it is still for sale. Your comment leads me to believe that you think that this post is some sort of scam...I can assure you that this work exists, and is for sale.If you have an issue with the post, please advise.

Ed

8. vernonestes

edited my post, my suspicions were incorrect (thankfully), good luck with the sale of your painting

9. Classicwatch

Classicwatch New Member

Vern,

Everything that I previously said in the listing is true, including where and when it was acquired. I am aware of Wallace Wyss as he was writing Shelby history likely before you were born. If I were Wallace Wyss, I would be quite upset with you (huge understatement), but I can assure you that I am not Wallace Wyss.

I have been buying/selling/collecting automobilia, including art, for over 30 years. I have placed dozens of items in collections and museums worldwide, including there in Las Vegas.

I was alerted to your post immediately as I "subscribed" to the post when I originally posted it. I received a post from the forum alerting me that you had posted a response. Imagine my surprise when I read that you "hope that no one has fallen for this".

While I am not obligated to prove anything to you, if you will send your phone number via private e-mail, I'd be pleased to give you a call to discuss this further.

The internet makes information available to enthusiasts that could not have been imagined 20 years ago. But you seem to not understand that being a FANBOY does not make you an expert!

So, how about sending your phone number, I'll give you a call, and then be man enough to post that you made a stupid assumption. I do not need an apology, but Mr. Wyss deserves one.

Ed

10. vernonestes

Ed,

Thanks so much for your call this evening. I was very relieved to find out that the suspicion I had about this painting is, in fact, false.

As I said in my previously comments, I was hoping that my suspicion of this whole deal was false and thankfully it was. I have apologized to Wally over personal message and would also like to take this post to apologize to him publicly. I had an honest suspicion and didn't want to see someone on this forum get anything that didn't bargain for on this painting. From what i can see at this point, the painting looks legitimate and all is well. As a former moderator of the forum and someone who is well versed in Shelby related literature and collectibles, I felt it my responsibility to make sure things were A-OK.

Ed, I understand that you are upset, but I feel it would be appropriate for you to delete the threatening and inappropriate language in your above post. There is never an excuse for name calling on a public forum. As for your jabs at my knowledge of this stuff..I dont like it when people call themselves "experts" in anything, as we are all hopefully always learning more. However, If you know anything about me whatsoever, you would know that I hold my own when it comes to vintage Shelby/Cobra related literature and memorabilia. I dont know it all, or probably even close compared to the vast amount of information out there, but Im certainly no fan boy.

Once again, I very much appreciate your call and for clearing up the suspicions I had. I am thankful that I was wrong.

Best regards,
    Vern

11. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Not me.I likethe style of it, which I call "flat color" like Tim Layzell

but I didn't make my first paintinguntil 2007 when I made a portrait of Shelby to
    take to a concours where I was debuting a book

What I sell are prints on paper, usually 11" s 17" and prints on canvas which are called giclees (pronounced GHEE CLAY) and then more paint is added--these look like oil paintings but are prints. They can't be numbered though because each time you paint one it comes out different. I have one for sale in the Mecum auction in Anaheim as we speak. I'm guessing--bundled with other books & memorabilia--it'll go for $300 but since its No Reserve, someone could get lucky.

Thanks to those who spotted the name spelling difference.