Join Shelby Forums Today

'67 Shelby Clone Value?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by rotorshawn, Jul 18, 2011.

1. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

I just got another '67 Convertible and I am really wanting to make it a Shelby Clone.. Although the production Shelby's were fastbacks in '67, I want to put the Shelby front end, hood, deck-lid and end caps on my new '67 convertible and it will be red with tan interior.. We've all seen them and they look amazing (in fact, my last '67 was this but never completed, sold and regretted)... I am speaking from an EXTERIOR appearance... I'm not sure which one of my '67s to use, but they are both in great shape, but I'm not going to invest in the engine or suspension anymore than it already has.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: At the end of the day, would this car be worth more as a stock restored 1967 convertible, or a Shelby '67 convertible clone (still keeping the original parts that get replaced)... There is a great possibility that I will sell this car after its all completed and I am looking for the biggest bang for my buck and the end of the day.. thanks..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

My opinion,it is worth more as a properly restored Mustang as a clone is subject to the whim of the marketplace and potential buyer.

Bill S.

3. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Agreed and either way your profit margin would be hugely dependent on the condition of the car when you start(ie rust /originality etc.)as either way it is way to easy to sink more into a car than it will ever be worth....Either way you go if is a relatively plain jane type 67 it will be tough to see much$$$ unless you got it for a steal as 67 vert values arent super high(especially now)my 2 cents and good luck!!!Trent

4. The Commissioner

The Commissioner Well-Known Member

There was 1 '67 GT350 ragtop, but I agree with the rest, restored is probably better. When I was a Superformance dealer, we did 65-68 GT350 replicas and we'd do them for the cost of the donor, parts/labor + 10%, and it's an awful lot of work and $$ to try and make them look correct. You might find someone interested in a "semi-clone" where you can make some $$, but probably not.

5. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Sorry to rain on the parade but there were "0" genuine 67 GT350 convertibles. There is 1 genuine 67 GT500 convertible but unlike the misinformation out there it was never built with 67 fiberglass. It was a engineering car that was specifically intended to be a 1968 prototype convertible. It always had 1968 fiberglass not 67. FYI It is under going restoration to it's former glory and will debut at the big Chicago in door muscle car show in November. Bob

6. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Correct No 67 GT350 verts.A VERY limited # of 66 GT 350 verts(none for public sale originally).The first true production Gt350 verts would be the 68s,,Production of Gt350 verts would continue into 69/70(with the 70s being leftover 69s slightly modified and given 1970 VINs).Hope this helps clarify things.Trent

7. Texas GT350

Texas GT350 Well-Known Member

I personally prefer the 1967 Shelby to the 1968, it looks cleaner without a lot of the fuss. I have thought about building a 1967 GT500 convertible, to me it comes down to what you want and the resell should be a secondary issue. If you are building the car just to resell then I agree that the stock Mustang would be easier to sell as the market is much larger. If you are building the Shelby because this is what you want then do so and if you later decide to sell it realize that the number of buyers will shrink to those that appreciate what you have done.

One thing I would not do is do it halfway, either go all the way or don't do it at all. I have look at (as I am sure many on this site have) at cars that are neither stock Mustangs or accurate clones of a Shelby. To me this is just wrong, but maybe it is just me.

Best of luck on which way you decide.

8. 557

557 Well-Known Member

I agree completely if you are going to do a clone go all the way at least on the exterior...To me it looks bizarre (and quite frankly cheap)when someone does the front end and not the back end(or viceversa)or a shorty hood or etc etc etc...My 2 cents.Trent

9. 1fordlord

1fordlord New Member

I totally agree. Mine is an exact clone. Dropped A-arms, roll bar with harness, 10-spokes, correct exhaust tips sticking out to factory spec, I even added the Shelby badge that covers the stock number on the fender. I even used matching character size when making mine. The characters are two different sizes. I am obsessed with details.

Here is a link to my youtube video of my tail lights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT-D26teCo0

10. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Well you are going to have to ether change your thinking on having exact details or obsees a little more;) 67 Shelby's didn't have dropped A-arms or sequential taillights.

11. 1fordlord

1fordlord New Member

Wow, I just noticed this post after so much time. OK, I guess I should clarify... I meant doing it right as in all Shelby glass and visible pieces. You are correct that the 67 didn't have the drop arms or the sequential lights, however I also believe improving when I can and not at the expense of the car. There is no comparison on the "effectively free" handling improvement dropping the arms. I also love the sequential taillights. Mine are even more custom so that when you brake both lights start from the center and go out. Looks awesome. So before you shoot down someone's comment look at the context.

12. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

If you build it for fun, enjoy, if you plan to build it for profit, again, your best bet is to restore it to stock condition. It will be worth MORE that way vs in a modified condition. That is the bottom line.

Bill S.