Join Shelby Forums Today

Please Help Me Find My 289 AC Cobra

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greetings' started by Richard Earl Pierson Jr., Apr 19, 2011.

1. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Richard Earl Pierson Jr. Member

September 1964 I purchased a 1964 Black AC Cobra from Vern Hagestad Motors in Lakewood Colorado. The car had been driven by Ak Miller on the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. I sold it in 1965 to a dealer in Boulder Colorado. Unfortunately I have only great memories, and stories of this fantastic Cobra. Any information on this car would be appreciated.

Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

2. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Richard, I knew Ak drove a "Devin bodied Cobra" at Pikes Peak, but was not aware he also drove a "regular" Cobra. Do you have a chassis number by any chance?

Jay

3. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Jay, Thanks for the speedy reply. I do not have any numbers or paperwork on the Cobra. The car may or may not have been driven by AK. Chuck Frederick also drove a Cobra in that race. The car was all black, with flared fenders, and special gum rubber dirt tires. I wish I had pictures and numbers. Any info would be great.
    Thanks,
    Richard

4. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  5. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

No, I don't think so. When I bought the Cobra it had original winshield, top, and flared fenders. I can't remember a roll bar. This car driven by Chuck Frederick doesn't seem to have the flared fenders. Please keep trying.
    Thanks,
    Richard

6. Ranger Jerry

Ranger Jerry Well-Known Member

Richard, you might try the Shelby American Collection in Boulder CO. They may know something about the Cobra. Who knows it might be in their collection. I looked in a 1965 magazine I have a called The Rocky Mountain Wheel for any Pikes Peak Hill Climb results. No luck but I did find a add for Vern Hagestad Motor Co. on West Colfax They sold Volkswagen and Porsche. Good luck on your long lost Cobra. Ranger Jerry

7. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Thanks Jerry for the lead. I actually traded in a 1963 C Porsche, and a 1956 Porsche Speedster plus some cash for the Cobra! Yes; Vern Hagestad was the dealer. Keep on trying; your help is greatly appreciated.
    Richard

8. 56ace

56ace Well-Known Member

Richard,
    Without any more info ( a picture would be ideal, but interior color, and special mod info would help) I have run out of ideas for the search. I did confirm Ak was running the Devin car with a 427 during 1964 Pike's Peak, but have found no other Cobras entered.

Jay

9. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

The Car was Black, wire wheels, and with a black interior. It was a 289 with one four barrel carb. I was never sure that it was raced on Pikes Peak. It did have the special soft rubber tires used on hill climbs. During the time that I had it I sent to Shelby for a new left front spindle which replaced the inferior AC spindle. Both older AC spindles eventually broke off! It was sold to a dealer in Boulder Colorado in 1965. His name might have been Barker. Thanks for trying to help.
    Richard

10. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Hey Jay, You might look for Cobras in the 1963 Pikes Peak Race.
    Richard

11. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Contact Ned Scudder the Cobra registrar at SAAC

cobraregistrar@saac.com

Bill S.

12. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

I still haven't found my ole Cobra. If you have found any info please contact me @ repierson@hotmail.com

Thanks,
    Richard

13. A-Snake

A-Snake Well-Known Member

Richard,
    The information you have provided makes it very difficult to ID the car. If you had been the original owner, or knew the original owner, it would have helped. Can you remember additional details about the car?
    Answers to the following questions would help narrow down the CSX number range. However, it may still not be enough information to nail it down to one CSX #.

1. Was it a rack and pinion car or a worm & sector? (Steering wheel design will give that away)
    2. Did it have side vents?
    3. Did it have SW gauges or Smiths gauges?
    4. What design Cobra emblems?
    5. How sure are you that it was originally a black car?

14. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I bought the car from Vern Hagestad Motors in Lakewood Colorado in 1964. Original owner; I was probably the 2nd. The car was the original black. I think the gauges were Smith. Steering wheel; I do not remember. There were no side vents. I think the emblem said AC Cobra. Wheels were knock off. Flared fenders had been added for Pikes Peak. Keep on trying. I thank you very much.
    Richard

15. A-Snake

Richard,

"Thinks" don't help ;)

No side vents brings it down to around 159 cars.

Which of the below emblems did it have?

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]

Was the turn signal switch on the 'center-top' of the steering wheel or was it a stalk on the side of the steering column?
    The one with the 'center-top' switch would also have an adjustable column.

Which of the two wheels below did it have?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Your turn...:dance:

16. rr64

rr64 Well-Known Member

Quite a few of the cars below CSX2108 were originally black. Very early cars, one in the first couple of shipments to NY, ones that never went to California, could have had these emblems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. A-Snake

Richard,
    Vern Hagestad Motors was not a Cobra dealer in Colorado and records do not show a Vern Hagestad as an individual owning a Cobra. The car must have been 'passing' through a used car dealer when you purchased it.

Dan,
    Thanks, forgot about the first few cars retaining the AC emblem.

18. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

Good Morning, The emblem was the Blue Cobra. I really do not remember the turn signals. I think the steering wheel had the Cobra emblem in it, but this AC wheel looks familiar. Correct; Vern Hagestad was a VW/Porsche Dealer. I sold this car to a small shop in Boulder Colorado. Are there any records of my purchase of the newer/improved left front spindle? Thanks for your interest in helping find this Cobra.
    Richard

19. Richard Earl Pierson Jr.

At least I am still thinking! Most of the ones who knew this Cobra are dead.
    :cigar:

20. A-Snake

You mean this one right?
    [​IMG]

Steering wheel would not have a Cobra emblem (that's a coil spring car) but the AC looks correct to you, right?
    [​IMG]

No vents, R&P steering, late Cobra emblems puts the car somewhere between 2130 and 2159, I think :unsure:

Dan, Am I on the right track?

Richard, As far as I know, parts order info is not available.