Join Shelby Forums Today

OBD Compact Reader Scan Tool Question

Discussion in 'Open Community Forum' started by sinbad2050, Mar 25, 2011.

1. sinbad2050

sinbad2050 New Member

Hello

I am considering purchasing an OBD Code Reader. Does anyone have a recommendation for an inexpensive Code Reader? My check engine light is not on now but with 102,000 miles I thought this would be a good thing to have. I found this one and it looks like a good price, is there a disadvantage for getting this one over the more expensive ones?

Thanks in advance!

2. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

One of the more important features is the compatibility with CAN network equipped vehicles. These vehicles started to appear around 2003. It appears the scanner you are interested in has this capability.

The scanner you buy might not provide a definition of codes, in which case you would want it to come with a manual that had code definitions. A cheap scanner might provide definitions, but they are poor, and don't provide enough detail.

The more expensive scanners have the ability to read live sensor data, and some will even take recordings of the data so you can track down an intermittent fault on a test drive.

Just a few things for you to ponder. You know that old saying - you get what you pay for.