Join Shelby Forums Today

Upcoming book alert, SHELBY Authorized biography

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by bitzman, Mar 13, 2011.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Found this while cruising the net. A new book announcement:

Title: Carroll Shelby: The Authorized Biography
    Author: Rinsey Mills
    Format: Hardcover
    Publish Date: January 2012*
    ISBN-10: 0760340560
    ISBN-13: 9780760340561
    List Price: $35.00

*other press releases say April 15, 2012 so maybe it's different dates
    for different coubtries.

It must be a hefty tome, 464 pages would be at least two inches thick. No info yet on the number of color pictures vs. black and white. Rinsey Mills is based in England, and wrote previous books on Cobras. It is my impression that in his past books, he disputed how much of the Cobra was engineered by Shelby and how much by A.C. so we'll see if, in this "authorized" tome, he takes a new tack.

Below is the publisher's press release copy quoted in its entirety. Like to hear anyone's opinion of the book...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About This Book:

Title: Carroll Shelby: The Authorized Biography

Check for Kindle Format

Details
    Language: English
    Pages: 464
    Publisher: Motorbooks Intl

Publisher Notes

When Ford wanted to add some spice to it’s newly introduced Mustang, it turned to former racer Texan Carroll Shelby. The resulting cars proved to be the definitive performance Mustangs of the muscle-car era.

The choice made sense. Shelby had proven himself a force to be reckoned with on the racetrack, in the tuning shop, and in the auto industry. By the time Ford hired Shelby to create a high-performance version of its Mustang, the man was already an automotive legend.
    Early in his career, Shelby’s accomplishments as a race car driver included breaking land speed records at Bonneville in 1954 for Austin-Healey and winning Le Mans in 1959 alongside teammate Roy Salvadori. As a team manager, Carroll was a part of the FIA World Grand Touring Championship as well as the Ford GT victories at Le Mans.
    When his health forced him to give up racing in 1960, Carroll turned his attention to design. He had a vision of creating a race car mating a lightweight European chassis with American V-8 power. The result was what is considered perhaps the greatest sports car and one of the fastest road cars ever constructed—the Shelby Cobra. The Shelby Mustangs he built for Ford in concert with his own Cobras made Carroll Shelby a household name in the 1960s. Throughout the decades, Shelby has remained at the leading edge of automotive performance.
    After undergoing successful heart transplant surgery, a grateful Carroll decided to use his reputable name for a good cause. In October 1991, he created the Carroll Shelby Children’s Foundation, dedicated to providing assistance for acute coronary and kidney care for children in need. In 1992, Carroll Shelby was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame.Shelby continues to impact the world of racing and automobile design. He is likely the only person to have worked at a visible level with all three American automobile manufacturers. His charisma, vision, and ability to know the best person for the job have made him a master organizer and team leader able to produce consistently impressive results. Even today, Ford’s premier Mustang carries the Shelby name and iconic snake logo.
    This book is the complete, authorized biography of Carroll Shelby, the story every enthusiast has always wanted to read.
    Shelby website: www.shelbyautos.com

2. bitzman

Update:, SHELBY Authorized biography by rinsey mills

Same author
    Probably same length.
    But no published-by-U.S. publisher version
    If we have to buy them individually from the UK, I don't reckon it will be $35 any more....

3. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Given the subject I am sure that this tome will be entirely truthful....:):):)Trent

4. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

when you want to read about a perfect life, there's a very short list of possible subjects.

What are your life accomplishments that apparently have given you such a lofty perch, from which you choose belittle those who lived life large, and without apology?

Z.

5. 557

557 Well-Known Member

wanna buy a bicycle ,some olive oil,or something ,anything signed...well itll cost yah???!!!!Oh yeah I just found some original Cobra chassis in my warehouse and.....My point is he should be very proud of what he did back in the ford/competition years.Some of his accomplishments/lawsuits etc. in his later years not so much....If you cant acknowledge that you should join the other ostriches at the zoo...I was once a "true believer" but some of his later "accomplishments ":eek::eek:have been pretty damn painful to watch...thanks for the personal attack though!!!!my 2 cents.Trent

6. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

what value does the free market place on YOUR signature ? If you don't think the CS brand or endorsement is worth anything then don't buy it.

Do I agree with every thing he has done, or will do ? Of course not, he's not perfect, and never claimed to be. But I can show some respect that's been well earned, something you have apparently never learned the value of doing.

no problem on the personal attack, I love to toss a rock or two at the righteous smart-asses who live in glass houses.

Z.

7. mrmustang

mrmustang Well-Known Member

Not to get into a pissing match, but just how many of your windows do you replace each day :laf: :laf: :laf:

Bill S.

8. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

after recession of '07 have moved into pup tent. looking forward to day I have windows again.

Z.

rshelby likes this.
  9. 557

557 Well-Known Member

"righteous smart ass"eh???Gee at least I grew up (if you want to get into personal attacks)...I am more of a just the facts type....If you cant handle the truth I am guessing that you (like most 7th graders )know what you can do ..And no I have never purchased the mans signature(have a free one however from back when he was still doing that)....Human he certainly is and if you want to put him on some sort of pedestal you are likely to get dissapointed or burned (as apparently many people have been)...I own one of the original cars love it and will never sell it....I think the original cars are amazing but to me it seems to be more all about Cash now and he seems to have very little to do with his (many)current products other than to sign off and recieve checks...I may be wrong but I have been around a LONG time and dont think so....If you disagree fine but why not agree to disagree(ie dont get your panties in a bunch) ,ace the personal attacks and quite frankly grow up......you will be a better person if you do trust me.....Trent(my real name by the way not some B.S. moniker)HAVE A NICE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!:D;):D;):D;)

10. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

not evident from your snide remarks "...Given the subject I am sure that this tome will be entirely truthful..."

neither have I. But if someone else wants to, it's their business. Sounds small, and like sour grapes to criticize the mans right to market his own name as he sees fit.

giving respect where due is not putting someone on a pedestal. It's actually considered good manners.

it was always about the money. CS was and is a businessman. Businessman is not a dirty word. Again, if you don't want the product or service he's endorsed, don't buy it.

I do trust you, I trust you to be petty, small minded, and resentful of the accomplishments and accolades being bestowed on others. Other than that, no I don't trust you.

Z Ray's (my real name)

wouldn't the 4th of July without some fireworks. Happy 4th y'all.

Z.

11. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Gee whiz "z ray"your car(if you actually own one) is "all original"huh????Then you MUST be the original owner right(or how would you know that to be absolutely true?)?//When in 66 did you buy it??Where??My car (1967 gt500 #557)is far from completely original and I am at least the 3rd owner-and I am man enough to admit it....Why not toss up your production # so we can check out this AMAZING survivor in the new registry????That "original"paint looks incredible(ie not believable)in your picture !!!!Why not post a few more????Where exactly do you park it in your "tent"...BTW lil boy respect isnt given its earned.....Let the truth prevail.......Happy 4th:cigar::cigar::cigar:Trent BTW you are a SAAC member right????If not youre an idiot ...If so you have a short memory span (less than a gnats)

12. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

a search of some of my posts would easily reveal my cars number. 6s1117.

Not 100% original. just the major drivetrain components, sheet-metal, interior, & paint. All Shelby equipment has survived.

under the hood the radiator, battery, water pump, and fuel pumps not original. Still have original distributor & coil but currently using msd components. Brake discs/pads & shoes not original. Gas tank & most hoses not original.

not highlighted in photos are the dirt and numerous dings & resulting mismatched touch-up attempts that have been added over the years.

note on hood photo where paint in thin enough for primer/gel coat to show thru. Overall paint is still functional in keeping rust out, but not pretty by any definition. I do have the dry climate of El Paso to thank for the lack of rust, for which I'm grateful

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s139/zrayr/SFM6s1117 for email/

Z.

13. 557

557 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a nice car...for sure nicer than mine from an originality standpoint....Previous owner "hotrodded"minewith aftermarket exhaust etc.However no cutting or anything that couldnt fairly easily put back to stock...plus most original components were in the trunk when I bought it in 82(thank god as I would hate to chase down parts at todays prices!!!!)Happy4th..Trent

14. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Im happy to see that you guys have settled on the fact that you both love the cars..great cars, on with the fun now...that is what this forum is all about.

Best regards,
    Vern

15. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

every family has it's squabbles, and the family of Shelby car nuts is no different. Doesn't mean we don't have strong ties that bind.

I'm 60, pushing 90, with enough nonstop arthritis to keep me permanently cranky, and am old enough to give my opinion freely and not be concerned with the fallout. Eventually I'll probably be locked in the attic by my kids.

my apologies to anyone that takes offense at being called a Shelby car nut.

Z.

16. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Could be worse, we could be CORVETTE NUTZ :doh:...or Ferrari NUTZ :noway:

17. 557

557 Well-Known Member

So true Vern!!!!And dont get me started on the various asian permutations(light doesnt necesariy mean good):wacko::evo::evo::evo:Cheers!!!Trent

18. bitzman

I'll report on it when I get the SHELBY Authorized biography

But I guess I can't get it from MBI, who announced it. I expect the $35 book will cost $100 by the time I get it airmailed from the UK. I'll do a mini book review on it for anybody who's interested.

I think it's irresponsibile of Amazon to keep advertising it if they are not
    going to have it at that price or even have it at all.

Amazon.com: Carroll Shelby: The Authorized Biography (9780760340561): Rinsey Mills: Books

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2011
  19. bitzman

Update on the book, not the petty repartee

Got one on order. It will be distributed by MBI after all. It will not have a different cover in the UK as some car books printed in the UK do.
    Here's some other stuff off Amazon.com, where it's at $23.20 today (not counting mailing)
    Title: CARROLL SHELBY The Authorized Biography
    Hardcover: 464 pages
    Publisher: Motorbooks; First edition (April 21, 2012)
    Language: English
    ISBN-10: 0760340560
    ISBN-13: 978-0760340561
    Shipping Information: View shipping rates and policies
    Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #149,028 in Books

Comment: Sales are not bad since no one has seen it yet, but it will have to put the pedal to the metal to catch Colin Comer's book which the same day Amazon listed at #31,814 in popularity.

20. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member