Join Shelby Forums Today

Original Shelby GT350's - Who's got one?

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by shelbyguy, Oct 8, 2004.

1. 68gt350

68gt350 Member

Re: Original GT350's - what ya got?

68 GT 350 #2794 4 speed.

2. Jerry_Moss

Jerry_Moss Well-Known Member

You guys are really creazy! :)
    By the way can anyone tell me where i can get detailed
    65 R model pictures????
    Thank you very much :thumbsup:

Greetz Jerry

3. wctouring7

wctouring7 Member

6S262
    67 gt350 #0005
    71 Boss 351
    The first 2 are in the re-assembly stage, the Boss is a runner.
    :D

4. mark350

mark350 New Member

67 350 # 2239 Dark Blue Lemans stripes

5. Ejs488

Ejs488 New Member

68 GT 350 H 1137
    I havent restored it yet but I drive it the way it is occasionally.
    Was repainted late 70s early 80s
    havent figured out how to post a picture.

6. Humberto.V

Humberto.V New Member

65 gt 350 #267 just finished restoring :thumbsup:

7. Maddog

Maddog Member

Hey Humberto,

Didn't see you at the SAAC 30. Were you there? Took 5S195 out there and won 1st Place in the popular vote on Saturday and Sunday. Had a great time.

Congrats on finishing your car. Let me know where you will be showing it next and I'll try to hook up with you. :thumbsup:

8. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

Jim, Just how do you gauge an "original"? original paint? originally a GT350? 6S296 hasn't really been touched since 1979 after a repaint which I now largely have saved in a box since the wrong primer was used... I'll add more Lay'ta...

9. eljimb0

eljimb0 Well-Known Member

I have the clone that is parked next to 003

:guitar:
    jimbo

003andme.JPG

silverton_ford likes this.
  10. 66shelbynz

66shelbynz Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    6S349 in New Zealand

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  11. laboss

laboss Member

Follow up to my ford family.Finally got a Pantera to keep the Shelby company.Here's a pic. :cool:

Attached Files:

12. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

That looks great! Glad you found the Pantera. :thumbsup:
    Randall

13. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Don't got a GT350, but a friend sent this picture of one in someones driveway in Conn. Of course it is not for sale.

Attached Files:

14. kc350

kc350 Member

I found mine under a tree. Im still getting the leaves out of it! #1344 :)

15. Early67

Early67 Well-Known Member

Here's a recent photo of mine [# 0029]. In 1983, my cousin and I flew to Boston and rented an AMC Concord to Jaffrey NH to pick up my 'new' Shelby. We drove it back to Texas....had a great time. She's never let me down.

[​IMG]

16. TJinSA

TJinSA Well-Known Member

THEY USED TO SHUN THOSE WITH LEPROSY... and I've gotten the same reaction as I've taken this car out, complete with it's peeling to bare-metal paint.

My car was the personal company car for Shelby American's (S-A) General Manager, James McLean. Word has it from the second owner, third if you count S-A, the LR quarter was damaged while at S-A and the original owner of the car being an employee got it for a song. He fixed the car and raced the car in SCCA events. He moved to Las Vegas with S-A in '69 where his wife REFUSED to drive the car in THAT heat without air and power steering. He traded it in for a 6-banger Maverick with... air and power steering. The second owner worked parttime at the Ford dealer as his tour in the Air Force was ending and bought the car. It showed near 30k miles and evidently not pampered. The fenderwells were opened up, a rollbar prevented anyone from using the rear package tray and the paint repair on the rear quarter and spoilered deck lid was long in the tooth. He took it with him back to Texas. Within a year, the car was solely used to race the length of Alamo Dragway in the Stock class. After a brief stint with another drag racer in the late 70s, a buddy of mine bought the car to put it back onto the street. The odo had climbed up to 33k.

The time on the drag strip added it's own touches. The underside of the all-steel hood had been cut away to save weight; the tranny tunnel was made removable, and tow tabs pooked out through the front valance. The car was repainted with more than a dozen coats of laquer, but changed to the universally-pictured Wimbleton white. I got the car in '87 with 33.8k on the clock... err speedometer. The paint looked like you could reach into the paint and get your hand wet. I'd soon learn of the liabilities of lacquer.

On a chilly afternoon in the spring of '88 I was using a hose to rinse off the dust when I saw what I thought was a line of black road tar was growing! The paint was shrinking and cracking off the car down to bare metal before my very eyes. In college at the time and tired of trying to Krylon patches, I was so disgusted I parked the car and drove it only a handfull of times until finally parked for good in '92. I started it for the first time again in '02. Today, nearly half the car sits as bare metal, but my son has already laid claim to the car I affectionately refer to as leporous

The car is shod in OLDDDDD, NOS Goodyear Polyglas tires, G-70s up front and H-70s in the rear. They were found still wrapped in paper at a couple old gas stations-- lost in the racks from the days of the dawning of the age of aquarius. These tires were HUGE for their day but the opened fenders easily clear. Compare their contact patch compared to a (slightly smaller than) OEM stock set of 4.95x14s-- The big tires not only look beter (IMHO), but tame the 3.89s in the rear diff (limited slip, not a locker).

The engine is still the SAME engine that was raced! The second drag racer changed the heads to a set of '69 351Ws though; otherwise it's the original bottom end. The upper end has a Shelby Trans-Am dual Holley intake. The original road racer left behind signs of an oil cooler and more under the hood. In the interior, only the kick panels have been replaced and the the steering wheel swapped to the optional real-wood steering wheel. The rollbar is an original Shelby American R-Model rollbar. It stradles an original rear package tray. Less than a hundred of the '66 cars had a package tray. I've had an under-frame migged into the all-steel hood. Looking around the chassis, even the original Koni shocks are still on the car, next to the original over-ride traction bars. I have started replacing the odd aftermarket pieces with the correct Shelby American period part, something I started over 20 years ago.

When I took the car out for the first time in '03 some guy came up, "so where'd you find it?!?!?!" ... "I've had it..."... truefully, he backed away without a word, his mouth limp as if I was the one with leprosy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I put this info and other pics up on CarDomain.com...

17. Kickstand

Kickstand Well-Known Member

Just got a 68 350 #0938 :thumbsup:

18. youngshelbyman

youngshelbyman New Member

my uncle owns this. its #469. he bought it about 3 years ago from a man that lives in new york. he got a great price on it [not going into detail]. he was offered 190K in September and he turned it down. it is a 16K original mile car!

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2009
  19. J.Bailey

J.Bailey Well-Known Member

I have a 1968 Shelby G.T.350 convertible #432 which...

is highland green and a silver 1999 Dodge Viper RT/10. Just happy to be here.

20. rcgt350

rcgt350 Well-Known Member

I've got a 67 Gt350 #0031 Owned since 1999. One of two white cars delivered to Canada.