Join Shelby Forums Today

Offraod X-pipe??

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Sa-When, Jan 31, 2011.

1. Sa-When

Sa-When Active Member

who is running an offroad X or H pipe on there car?? just wondering if there are any ill effects from doing this? Thanks

2. scdemar

scdemar New Member

I have a 2008 Shelby GT-C, it came with shelby/ford racing exhaust w/x-pipe. I bought a set of track pipes from Jack Roush they attach directly to downstream side of x-pipe, and run out the rear bumper stock locations. p.s. track pipes are straight thru, no mufflers. i used this setup on closed circuit racing @ Willow Springs Raceway, Rosamond, California. avg track speed 140mph. I gained 36hp w/roush track pipes. car performed flawlessly. u can use on the street, but never be on the throttle (loud) around the law. P.s. the roush track pipes are for sale, like new, used twice, fit 2005 thru 2008 gt's & shelby gt's. make offer also have new premium quality custom fitted car cover, fits above cars.

3. meterman

meterman Member

Only the emission testing IMO. I've got a collectors plate and I'm exempt from emission testing.

I have an o/r X pipe and love it. I now have the KR500 mufflers and it's really loud. everyone complements me at the track on how awesome it sounds. I have to be careful between 2200-2600 RPM and WOT. the WOT is obvious, but the 2200-2600 is where the noise is loud also. the stock mufflers sounded great with the o/r X.

I might add some resonators to quiet it just a bit but not convinced I want to yet.

4. Sh3lby

Sh3lby Member

We have a 2011 GT500. We have Lethal Performance x pipes and Corsa mufflers. I wasn't crazy about the sound. I thought it was a bit "tinny". My husband had resonators added and now it sounds great!. It is loud, but not brash loud, just really, really sexy loud.
    I don't know about emissions as we don't have to have it tested.

5. TaraFirma

TaraFirma Active Member

Here is a clip of the Lethal OR X-pipe with stock exhaust. I get lots of kudos for the sound. I Love It.
    http://youtu.be/93Zmjrp-aOs

6. Sh3lby

Sh3lby Member

I think exhaust sound is really subjective. Before the resonators were added we went to the drag strip. One young guy ran up and was asking about the exhaust because it sounded so "gnarly". Being a "mature" woman I prefer a slightly more contained sound. I like to be able to hear the radio when I am driving.

7. Convoy

Convoy New Member

I just got my 08 GT500 in February and want to get an O/R X-Pipe(no cats) and was wondering if I will have to do anything special with the Oxygen Sensors. Will I need to buy simulators?

8. meterman

meterman Member

You will need a tune for the x pipe. I just installed the factory oxygen sensors and have had no problems. I believe there was something done with the tune to accomodate the sensors also.

9. Earl J

Earl J Member

On the 65 I run Hooker Super comps (instead of the restrictive Tri-y’s) 1-5/8” x 30” primaries with 10”x3.00” long collectors into a custom 2.50” X pipe into 30” long glasspacks with 2.50” ID core then exit through 2.25” out the sides. A bit loud and tolerable on the street, but droning on the highway with the 3:89 gears. So I have an ash tray full of ear plugs for longer trips. Again I’m smog exempt here in California.
    Cheers,
    ~Earl J

I just realized the topic is for new gen cars. moderator can remove my post.

DSCN6019.jpg