Join Shelby Forums Today

Ford Executive Hints at a Successor to the Ford GT Supercar

Discussion in 'GT40 & Ford GT' started by rshelby, Jan 14, 2011.

1. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Automobile Magazine is reporting a possible successor to the 2005-2006 Ford GT...

Automobile Magazine

2. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

I think they should do it, to blunt the Corvette

I suggest buying the name Detomaso which is probably available for under $2 million
    and adopting the body style of the one customized by Gary Hall which was a subtle update and a targa to boot.

Of course they would have to have an Italian connection at least for the bodywork for it to be considered an Italo-American car

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

Maybe they could do it as an updated GT 40 MK IV. I don't know how they will get past the new bumper regulations. That is what killed the '05/'06 Ford GT.

4. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Roddster,

For those of us who weren't keeping track, just what are those new bumper regulations? Thanks.

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

I'm not sure. If I am wrong, then it was the new crash worthy-ness regulations. I don't know exactly what about those either.

6. gsharapa

gsharapa Member

Don't forget about the very cool daytona type coupe they got sitting there either!

7. luxgt

luxgt Member

let them do a remake of the P68

georgeous car

8. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

It would be cool to see the GT90 come to life. Especially since the Viper is coming back.

9. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

bring back the GR-1 project, the updated version of the Daytona Coupe.

B)

10. bitzman

The GR1 had a polished body. Hard to do in a urethane nose.
    But now that they have a new paint that simultates chrome
    I think they should do the urethane nose and tail first and if the paint works then finish the body of the car to match. Of course not everyone will want it in simulated polished aluminum so maybe they only have to make a few in this finish. Also the grille mouth shape needs to be related more to the original Daytona. I think the car is still doable. the nose doesn't have to be crumple resistant, as long as there is energy absorbing design underneath. Now that the Viper is gone, the field is wide open in America for an American made 175 mph GT coupe (yeah, yeah, there's the Corvette but we're talking FORD)

11. bitzman

Road & Track has proposal for new Ford GT on the cover

Actually they have three different drawings inside, one by Camilo Pardo,
    who was in charge of the '05-06 design and did the GT90 before that. In the article he still seems to lament the GT90; though he does hint that it was too futuristic and that's why the public didn't want it produced. I think the article says V6 somewhere but
    I think we all expect a V8, remember when Jag promised a V12 in a
    mid engined supercar (220) and then substiuted a V6 and a lot of buyers cancelled their orders?
    Also this time like to see open (Targa) version as the open Ferraris seem to take a good proportion of sales and if you are going up against them in the showrooms, you need to match what they have
    I would also recommend a Shelby version modified at the Shelby plant, each one with
    his signature and driven on their own test track even if it was only 10% of the build in total, say 100 cars per year, maybe these could be called GT-R models.
    And I would like to see Ford support a racing team. Look at Robertson Racing,

http://www.robertsonrace.com/

here they are campaigning the '05-06 Ford GT, trying to get on the grid at Lemans and Ford can't seem to funnel them money, maybe because they are no longer making the 'o5-'06 car so this time around let's try to get the team spending their own money racing the car some support money while the car is still being made! Then in the oft season their race cars could tour Ford dealerships--like the ol' Cobra Caravan. I would say Robertson has proven they can develop a race car so you guys in Dearborn should call them first...

12. TransamEd

TransamEd Well-Known Member