Join Shelby Forums Today

07' Shelby GT Grill Question

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Dlancer, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

I'm thinking of putting a stock Mustang GT Grill with fog lights on my Shelby GT. My question is. Do the Shelby GT's already have the wiring for fog lights behind the Billet grill or will I have to buy that also. I know my headlight switch has the setting for fog lights on it.

2. dbm350

dbm350 Member

The wiring and plugs for the fog lights should be behind the grill. All you should need is the fog lights.

3. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

OK. Took my car to my son's shop yesterday. It took him all of a half an hour to pull the Shelby grill out and install the GT grill. All the wiring was there. He did have to put a new fuse in because they took that out at the factory.What I have now is A Shelby GT with a GT grill w/fogs. I then put a Billet grill over the GT grill to keep the original look. I also added a Cobra emblem where the pony enblem had been on the original. One of the other guys who work with my son asked if I wanted to sell the original grill. I told him no I wanted to keep all the Shelby items in case I decide to sell the car at some point. I will post some pics when I get time.

4. g350t

g350t Active Member

This post is interesting because I took the billet grill out to replace the silver stripes on the front bumper and found that Shelby Automotive had used some kind of saw to "cut" out my fog lights and Mustang emblem. It appears that the original grill interfered with the billet grill, so the saw was used. The original black plastic Mustang GT grill is ruined, and the cuts that were made are crude, but they are mostly hidden by the billet grill. My car is SGT5437, so maybe they were getting the conversion done as quickly as possible on the late cars....who knows?

5. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Sounds cool! How about a couple pictures of your new grille. Maybe one with the fog lights turned on behind the grille and one with them off.

6. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

Thanks guys. I'm working on some pics. G350T. My original grill looks just like you said. They pretty much ruined the original grill except the tabs are still there to hold it in place. It's kind of funny because my son runs a custom car shop here in Cincinnati. He told me the way Shelby cut up the grill was kind of a half ass job. They could have done the same job without cutting the hell out of the original grill. The fog lights are not behind the billet grill. What I did was buy a used GT grill w/fogs off Ebay then I bought a billet grill without the cutout for the pony emblem also off Ebay. I added a Cobra emblem to the billet grill. The whole project cost right around $200.00.

7. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the way they cut the rear panel on my '67 for the tail lights. Real ugly. Guess things haven't changed that much.

8. Smileyg3

Smileyg3 New Member

What fuse needed to be replaced? I am doing the same thing. Is it the relay under the hood?

9. socalwrench

socalwrench Member

In regards to the cut stock grille: many of the 2007 Shelby GT cars used a stock grille as a housing to mount the billet grille. Some time during that, SAI started producing a separate grille housing. To my knowledge, all the 2008 Shelby GT cars used that housing. Also, that housing is sold at the Shelby Store.

10. tommy54177

tommy54177 Member

On my 2008 Shelby GT, I purchased the lower billet grill and the PIAA Fog Light Kit. Had my local Ford dealer do the install. This completed the car's front end.