Join Shelby Forums Today

Shelby 10 Spoke wheels

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by rotorshawn, Jan 4, 2011.

1. rotorshawn

rotorshawn Member

Hello. On my 67 Convertible, i have the 10 spoke Shelby wheels on it.. I was wondering if i could get some clarification. I've heard that the originals were something like 1/4" deeper and then modified to suite the break calipers.. I've also hear that the first generation 10 spoke wheels had a cosmetic flaw that the spokes did not all line up perfectly from outside to inside.

Anyway.. Is there any documentation on this. Im curious. Thanks.

2. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

You don't have to worry when using the tenspokes on a 67 car . Whether it is a original 67 S7MS marked wheel or a later repro they will all fit a 67 Mustang with factory disc brakes. The 68 Mustang is where there is a problem. The original 67 Shelby tenspoke will not clear a 68 single piston disc brake caliper without the use of a 1/4 inch spacer. SAAC has factory paperwork for only 4 or 5 68 Shelby's out of the entire production that came with tenspokes. One can only imagine what had to be done and how much time and trouble it was to get those few to fit. So much so that no more were done :eek: .The factory paperwork shows the rest of production received factory hubcaps. The Ten spoke clearance problem was mainly solved by machining the thick rough casting of the inner rim of the wheel to gain clearance so the offset wouldn't change but the fix was too late for 68 production use. Bob