Join Shelby Forums Today

89 dakota mods, Shelby Dak at JY

Discussion in 'Shelby Dodge' started by bill55az, Oct 22, 2010.

1. bill55az

bill55az New Member

New guy here....

First, the Chandler, AZ Pick N Pull has a Red Shelby Dakota, they want $750. One wheel missing, driveshaft missing, Rack and Pinion mounting bolts missing, looks that is extent of missing parts.

I was checking it out last week, saw how they mounted the v8, by using an extra front crossmember. It looks a lot like the ones used to mount engines in a ramcharger 4x4. Am I on the right track?

I have an 89 short bed dakota with blown 4 banger and 5 speed. I want to install a 92 5.9L Magnum engine, using a carburetor. I have it all stripped, down to the frame, ready to mount the engine, but really want to avoid the Schumacher method of adapting motor mounts. I would rather use the extra crossmember, it is a much cleaner installation, not to mention cheaper. I can get the crossmember for $50 at a junkyard.

Already have a 92 8.25 3.55 suregrip axle installed, with 5 lug axle shafts installed. That gives me bigger rear brakes, front discs are already the "big" ones. But I will be looking at later version Dakotas to see if I can get even bigger front discs.

Are the front coils for a 4 banger too light? I will be using aluminum intake, and removing the AC and power R&P in favor of a manual version, so I have made the front a bit lighter already.
    Thanks in advance for any advice....

2. Golden-Arm

Golden-Arm New Member

yeah, definitely too light. you can get a 4 banger, with no a/c and manual rack, so you still have the weight of the iron block and heads, and 4 extra cylinders, etc. napa or rock auto has the right springs, and they're pretty easy on the wallet. i'm building up my second shelby now ( #347, after i did the Panther Pink #923 a few years ago) and the springs are indeed different. :whistle: