Join Shelby Forums Today

'67 GT 500 from Long Beach Ca.

Discussion in 'Lost, Found & Looking' started by snakeoilbrian, Sep 14, 2007.

1. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

California owner needs help with DMV Records

Does anyone know how to find out the first owner of my car sold here in California? Thanks, Brian

2. isaak-gt500kr

isaak-gt500kr Well-Known Member

Re: California owner needs help with DMV Records

If it's a Shelby it could be in the registry. I could check for you if I have the year & Shelby serial number.

Update - I saw your info in another post. Not much in the registry regarding your car.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  3. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi Brian ! I think you would begin with D.M.V. in Sacramento.Some/most states keep old records for several years.Often times writing to them via snail mail works best,Does your car still have original black-yellow plates?Maybe someone on this forum has tried this recently,and can let us know what has happened.Good luck,and keep us posted with results.
    P.D.

4. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

If anyone has had any luck dealing with the beuracracy of their State's DMV, I would love to hear how they did it.

The older these cars get, the harder it is to document their history.

robin

5. JohnW

JohnW Member

Brian,

If you go to the CA DMV website there's a form you can print off to get your Vehicle Registration Information (you must be the current registered owner). I just received mine today in the mail. But the bad news is that they only keep data back to the mid 80's. The reports only cost $5, but in my case money wasted since I bought the car in 1982 from the second owner. I know the names of both the first owner and the second owner, but nothing shows up about them on the report I got. And I think you can just walk in to the nearest DMV office and do this in person if you don't mind waiting in line. It took 2-3 weeks for me to get my report through the mail.

John

6. snakeoilbrian

I'm still looking for the original owner of my '67 GT 500 that was purchased from Pacific Ford in Long Beach California in mid to late '67. Lime Gold with an automatic. If you meet someone who said they used to have one, let me know!!

7. JohnW

JohnW Member

Thanks. I bought the original invoice from Marty. It shows that the car was originally sold to Shelby Automotive in Southfield, MI. About 15 months later, the car was sold by a dealer in CA to the "first" owner. I have a couple of registration slips with her name and address that I got with the car. I don't think the "second" owner ever got around to registering the car; he only had it about 11 months. When I contacted SAAC, they had information about the first Shelby I bought new from Pacific Ford in 1969, but not much on the one I now own. I've tried to track down the "first" owner, but haven't had any luck. Sent her an email, but never got a response. I even tried contacting the dealership in CA, but they've moved the business to Hawaii and didn't keep any old records.

8. snakeoilbrian

I bought my car in February of '76 and still see the guy I bought it from and also speak with the guy (the second owner) that he bought it from. The second owner bought it in 1970. I've all but given up finding the first owner. :wacko:

9. tigerBryan

tigerBryan Member

Hey Dude- when are you going to re-paint that car- been a long time--Bryan--give a call-

10. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

I guess You have tried the obvious answer of conta ting SAACs registar?..

11. snakeoilbrian

Yes. I obtained all the info that they had on the car. Since I'm looking for an owner from 1967 to 1970, they had nothing.

12. Coralsnake

The Shelby club has warranty service on many cars. This information includes the names of the original owners. Apparently, your car is one of the few that is missing....

13. snakeoilbrian

Thanks to all who have made suggestions. To date, here is what I've done....
    I contacted the original selling dealership. No go.
    Filled out forms with the DMV. They said their records don't go back that far.
    Spoke with a California highway patrol officer who made the news about a stolen '57 Thunderbird that was sold on eBay. Car was stolen (I think) about 40 years ago. He was tracking down the original owners.
    I joined SAAC about a year or so after the club formed. They had nothing about the original owner. The car was traded in by the original owner to a local dealership circa 1969. Checked with them back in '88. Nothing. I've thought about contacting a private detective or lawyer near the DMV in Sacramento who may have connections at the DMV. Or, I could just give up!! :wacko:

14. Coralsnake

So, the Last time you contacted SAAC was 1988? This is not a static organization.....they find new information all the time. I would guess they have a lot more than they had in 1988.
    :cigar:

15. snakeoilbrian

No, The last time I checked was about 2 years ago.

16. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

Brian,
    The name of first owner of my CA, 67 GT500, 67402F7A01317 was given by the registrar
    and specified in the registry. How he got it I don't know but probably some service or recall.
    I have owned the car for 35 years now.
    Texas Swede

17. tigerBryan

tigerBryan Member

[snakeoil) I know your car- It was first used as a dealer loaner car for the employees to test drive-speedo disconnect of course)- then the managers younger son had it for a while using it for burnouts and drag racing behind BOBs big boy. plus a lot of making out in the back seat. later I saw it on the end of a tow truck .someone had smash the lower running gear on one of those parking lot cement stops. took alot of bondo th make that one right. I think its last days at the dealer was around 73' when they traded it to another dealer for a new pinto? I wonder who got the better trade.