Join Shelby Forums Today

Anybody know big game hunters Central African republic around 1970-'80?

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by bitzman, Sep 20, 2010.

1. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

reason I ask is that I have never read any magazine account of Shelby's game preserve /safari expedition company but then I do not know any big game hunters and do not even know if I am naming the right country. Big game hunters are kind of wary of inquiries from non-hunters, figuring anybody asking is anti-hunting but my Austro-Hungarian grandfather hand made hunting rifles so I go back aways in that subject. I talked to Pete Petersen (Petersen Publishing ) before he died, he was a big hunter but even though he was in Africa never made it to Shelby's African rancho.

2. DeLa1Rob

DeLa1Rob Well-Known Member

I don't know anyone personally, but I wonder if the American Sportsman television series ever covered the Shelby reserve.

robin

3. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

Maybe if I looked through hunting magazines from '70-'80

I would find a story of visiting the preserve. I am also interested in how he got interested in Africa. I know in the early '50s a popular circus act was Clyde Beatty, and there were movies about Africa. Maybe if you were a hunter back then, big game hunting was the ultimate hunting just as Grand Prix was considered the highest rung of the racing ladder. I don't think big game hunting is nearly so popular today but that's just my perception.