Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 - 2009 Shelby GT500 Clutch TSB UPDATED!!!

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DS1516pb, Sep 3, 2010.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

TSB
    10-3-8 SHELBY GT500 - CLUTCH DRAG

Publication Date: February 12, 2010

FORD: 2007-2009 Mustang

This article supersedes TSB 09-19-11 to remove the production fix date, update the Service Procedure and Part List.

ISSUE:
    Some 2007-2009 Mustang Shelby GT500 vehicles may exhibit the following clutch/transmission symptoms: hard to disengage or engage 1st and reverse, hard to shift all gears, vehicle creeps with transmission in gear and clutch pedal fully depressed without brake pedal application. These symptoms may be caused by the clutch not disengaging fully when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. This may be due to flywheel distortion caused by excessive heat build-up during unique traffic conditions (example: severe stop/go urban driving, excessive clutch slipping). The clutch system is designed for performance driving conditions.

ACTION:
    Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Located at the end of the procedure are Figures 1, 2 and 3 which show the typical appearance of a flywheel and clutch that has been damaged due to overheating of the clutch. Figures 4, 5 and 6 show the typical appearance of a good flywheel and clutch.

This procedure does not apply to or correct the normal characteristics of the twin-disc cera-metallic clutch used in the Shelby GT500 vehicle or normal wear. The twin disc cera-metallic clutch incorporates racing technology to combine a low inertia assembly with a very durable friction material with high torque capability. Depending on your driving technique, the smoothness of how the clutch reacts to clutch engagements may be different from other vehicles that use a single disc clutch system. Also refer to pages 8 and 9 of the GT500 Owner Guide Supplement for additional information.

Normal Operating Characteristics Of The Twin Disc Cera-metallic Clutch

Clutch chatter/shudder when engaging the clutch.
    Narrow or abrupt engagement point.
    Hiss upon clutch engagement or disengagement.
    Transmission gear rollover noise at idle.
    Gear rattle noise at very low speeds when in 1st or 2nd gear.
    Normal wear.
    Diagnosis And Service Procedure Update

Based on engineering analysis of all of the returned transmission components replaced when performing the prior TSBs, it has been determined that the synchronizer assemblies and transmission input shafts do not exhibit any abnormal wear that would require transmission component replacements.

A diagnostic procedure has been developed to confirm that the transmission synchronizers are operating properly and prevent any unnecessary transmission repairs.

Transmission Synchronizer Diagnosis Procedure

The following procedure is to be used to determine if the synchronizer assemblies in the transmission may have been damaged by attempting to operate the vehicle with a dragging clutch.

Set parking brake.
    Transmission in neutral.
    Start engine and allow it to idle.
    Clutch engaged - pedal fully released.
    Attempt to shift transmission into first gear by firmly pushing shift lever approximately 5-10 lb-ft (22-45 N-m) force for 2-3 seconds.
    If the synchronizers are okay, the transmission will not make any clash or grinding noise. You will not be able to move the gearshift lever into the selected gear (the synchronizer will block out gear engagement) and the engine RPM will decrease slightly.
    Repeat the synchronizer test (Step 5 and 6) on all of the other forward gears.
    If the transmission passes the synchronizer test, the transmission will not require additional service; proceed with clutch/flywheel replacement only. Refer to Clutch Replacement procedure.
    If clash/grinding noise is found when performing the synchronizer diagnostic, the transmission will need to be repaired along with the replacement of the clutch. Refer to Transmission Repair procedure.

Clutch Replacement

Remove the transmission per 2010 Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 308-03C.
    Remove and replace flywheel per 2010 WSM, Section 303-01C. Discard old bolts and use new bolts.
    Install new pilot bearing per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
    Install new clutch disc and plate assembly per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01. Using new bolts.
    Apply a small amount of Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant to the clutch hub splines per 2010 WSM, Section 308-01.
    Install new clutch slave cylinder and hydraulic line per 2010 WSM, Section 308-02.
    Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
    Refer to Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Reprogramming.
    Transmission Repair

Remove, drain, disassemble and clean the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
    Remove and replace input shaft and all synchronizer assemblies per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
    Assemble the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
    Install the transmission per 2010 WSM, Section 308-03C.
    Refer to PCM Reprogramming.
    PCM Reprogramming

The PCM must be reprogrammed after the clutch is replaced. Reprogram the PCM to the latest calibration using IDS release 65.07 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.1 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
    AR3Z-6375-A Flywheel
    AR3Z-7B546-A Clutch
    7R3Z-7C391-B Transmission Kit
    XG-8 Motorcraft® PTFE Lubricant
    XT-5-QM Motorcraft® MERCON® V Automatic Transmission Fluid
    PM-1-C Motorcraft® High Performance DOT 3 Motor Vehicle Brake Fluid
    XG-1-C Motorcraft® Premium Long-Life Grease
    TA-30 Motorcraft® Silicone Gasket and Sealant
    TA-25 Motorcraft® Threadlock and Sealer
    F6ZZ-7600-A Pilot Bearing
    1R3Z-7052-AA Transmission Input Shaft Oil Seal
    AR3Z-7A508-A Clutch Slave Cylinder
    AR3Z-7A512-A Clutch Slave Tube
    N808969-S100 Clutch Bolt (6 required)
    F6ZZ-6379-AA Flywheel Bolt (8 required)

WARRANTY STATUS:
    Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
    IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
    100308A 2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 4.2 Hrs.
    100308B 2007-2009 Mustang GT500: Replace The Input Shaft; Synchronizer Assemblies, Clutch Disc And Plate Assembly; Pilot Bearing, Slave Cylinder And Flywheel. Includes Time To Remove And Install Transmission, Perform The Synchronizer Diagnosis, And Reprogram The PCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations)

2. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Will someone please contact the United Arab Emirates UAB or whoever is building my car and tell them to send me this revised clutch disk AR3Z-7B546-A as this is the only thing on the Shelby clutch TSB that is not covered by Ford or Ford's Premicare Warranty.

As Ford states that this clutch disk is a "normal wear item" EVEN THOUGH and I quote from a print out I have in my hand from Ford's Technical Hotline.

"The clutch disk was changed and updated parts included for the TSB. The clutch disk was redesigned to eliminate unwanted heat build up and distortion of the clutch components. The parts must ALL BE replaced during the repair to eliminate returning issues."

So I have to pay for Ford's mistake? And I have called several numbers:

Ford's Customer Care 1-800-392-3672 - Susan
    Ford Racing (SVT has been TOTALLY dissolved) 1-800-367-3788 - Jeff
    Ford Warranty Claims 1-800-521-4144 - Pascal
    Ford at United Arab Emirates (Disconnected or Out of Area) 1-877-916-5984

If anyone has anything to add or anything in this post is incorrect PLEASE feel free to correct me.

Regards

Dan

3. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

So after I spent most of the day at that dealer and all of the next day on the phone trying to figure out where Ford's consumer fraud and extortion comes into play I finally figured it out.

The old clutch disk out of the 2007-2009 Shelby GT500 has an individual part number and is an individual part. Costing approximately $750.00

Well since all of these older clutches and their clutch revisions are still defective and failing Ford decided on the new updated 2010 modular clutch assembly that comes in priced as one single piece and part number at around $2000.00. (Ford is sending the updates for part numbers and prices to dealer computers as I speak.)

And this 2010 unit can not be broken down into individual part numbers and prices because under the TSB to prevent the clutch from being defective and failing again "supposedly" this entire 2010 modular unit must be replaced ALL at one time under the TSB or Ford's Premicare Warranty.

And since a clutch disk is a normal wear item for 12 months or 12000 miles Ford is using that individual price of that part and part number from the defective clutch disk that was already in the car priced at approximately $750.00 and assigning that value portion to the new updated 2010 modular clutch assembly to pass AT LEAST this much cost along to the consumer. (Prices and restrictions may apply due to your local or the speed at which Ford can get the new information updated into all their dealers computers.)

Even though Ford claims the old clutch disk is a normal wear item not covered under any TSB or Ford Premicare warranty (Outside of 12 months or 12000 miles) that is NOT why it is being replaced along with ALL the other clutch components.

It is being replaced along with the the other clutch components because they are ALL in fact defective and failing and NOT normal wear items.

But this is the only way Ford knows how to fraudulently extort funds from their loyal consumers as to not have them or the dealers absorb the entire cost of their mistake and failed clutch components to the tune of $750.00 out of the customers pocket to make the clutch "right" in the 2007 to 2009 Shelby GT500.

Even thought it appears that Ford is being nice considering the entire assembly is around $2000 plus labor. They are really simply just trying to get the consumer to absorb $750.00 of Ford's responsibility for producing and installing defective and faulty clutch disks.

Of course Ford can only update the information sent via computer to their dealers at like speed so you may find some slight or extreme variations to this situation or the dollar amounts discussed that YOU the consumer must pay for their mistake. In order to make your Shelby GT500 whole again.

Regards

Dan

4. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I've decided on trading my 2007 Shelby GT500 in on a Subaru. I have a $300 Subaru Legacy I bought that I absolutely love driving for an older car. It is very reliable and I feel safe in it and it gets decent gas mileage. And it NEVER seems to need repairs which is common in most cars.

I thought when I bought my Shelby product It would be a nice daily driver and very representative of Shelby Ford SVT in lieu of the many Ford products I have owned which this Shelby made a total of six mustangs I have owned. Ownership of my older mustangs seemed more consumer friendly.

I was wrong. I do not want to drive a basically new car that is unreliable unsafe and is not going to be backed 100 percent by the manufacturer whether it is FORD Shelby SVT or even UAB (United Arab Emirates) for it's defective failed and unsafe parts.

And at this point considering I don't go to the race track with my car but do need to drive it in daily traffic I believe the Subaru is the way to go.

Times have changed and I guess sometimes you have to let the past go and change with them.

Best of luck to all of you.

Regards

Dan

5. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well I'm not trading my Shelby in on a Subaru yet. But the thought is going through my mind if I can't bring this clutch/transmission nightmare to a satisfactory conclusion soon.

Regards

Dan

6. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well the dealer is ordering the parts to replace my unsafe defective clutch assembly that was put in originally during manufacture.

I am supposed to be responsible for the "clutch disk" part of this entire modular assembly to the tune of about $750.00. Because Ford and ESP Extended Service Plan claim the clutch disk itself is a 12/12000 warranty item only due to "normal wear" issues.

I understand when you have to pay for "normal wear" issues. And I respect that. But I totally disagree in this case due to the fact the entire clutch assembly including the "normal wear" clutch disk was unsafe and defective since the date of manufacture and should have been taken care of by Ford long ago.

The fact my car has 15000 miles on it and me being second owner with only about 2000 miles on it should have no bearing on this issue.

The more ethical and responsible thing for Ford to do is to replace the entire upgraded modular assembly which includes the updated higher quality clutch disk that is required to be replaced under the TSB as an entire unit to prevent complete clutch failure in the future including the "normal wear" clutch disk at no charge to me.

That is my belief on this and I have made my point known to all of Ford. The dealer is ordering parts as I speak and I will take my car in when the parts arrive and be there during the entire repair.

Me covering the $750.00 to replace their original unsafe defective clutch disk installed during manufacture due to their mistake and not my mistake or due to a normal 12/12000 wear issue remains to be seen.

Regards

Dan

7. Narno

Narno New Member

Hi Dan

I have read your thread and take from your writings that the 2010 single clutch assembly can be installed in the 2007 Shelby GT500 and should be in theory the answer to the clutch problems.

I have a few questions which I hope you or any other forum member can answer

1. Is my interpretation above correct that the 2010 assembly fits in 2007 car?
    2. Has anyone heard of the new 2010 assembly giving problems?
    3. Dan, have you had your clutch replaced with 2010 assembly and if so how is it performing now?

Regards
    Paul