Join Shelby Forums Today

vintage Shelby Heuer chronograoh watch

Discussion in 'Shelby Collectibles: Books, Model Cars, Posters & ' started by Eyal, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Eyal

Eyal New Member

Good day all,

I am the owner of a very unique vintage Shelby Cobra watch commissioned by Mr Shelby circa 1966. I am trying to get in touch with anyone who might know a little about it, how many were made, and who they were made for.

It was suggested to me by a friend who met Mr Shelby that it was commissioned to commemorate the season finale win at Riverside for the 1966SCCA Trans-Am title. Mr Shelby couldnt recall the exact details however (long time ago)

The watch in question is was made by Heuer (pre TAG-Heuer) and is known as a “Carrera 45 Dato”, and was in this model format for only one year….1966

Is there anyone that could tell me more?

Regards

Eyal

Attached Files:

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

3. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  4. cougar

cougar Well-Known Member

5. Eyal

Eyal New Member

Yeah I am already ingrained in the Heuer community and it has most of us stumped over there....There have been versions of this watch with MG, Volvo and even and Indy 500 logo version (being actioned in UK at the end of the year for about 10k

We are going to approach Jack Heuer about the watch in March next year at the Baselworld watch convention, however i would like the Cobra side of the history rather than production figures etc.

This is the same watch that was posted in 2005 (i swapped a 1133b Monaco like Steve McQueen had for this watch) I need an absolute guru to help, but it is hard to find as I am an Aussie and know next to nothing about who would be the "go to guy"

Cheers Fellas

Eyal

6. steele138

steele138 Well-Known Member

looks like a cool piece!
    Scott

7. dgreen70

dgreen70 New Member

Eyal! i have lots of info on this watch! In 1970 Heuer was asked to make about 25 of these watches for Shelby. They were handed out at the New York Auto Show to VIP s. My grandfather, a shelby executive, was in charge of picking these watches up and handing them out to the VIP s. They are very very rare! My grandfather also received a watch. Recently, we sold it to the Heuer museum. here is a link to the page about it!

http://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.php?234079-Heuer-Carrera-with-Shelby-Cobra-Logo