Join Shelby Forums Today

Rust Repair 68GT500KR

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Reduco, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Reduco

Reduco Member

Looking to do a lot of rust repair on my 68GT500KR and was wondering if anyone knew of an appraisal company on the gulf coast. I would like to have the car looked at before cutting any sheet metal. Thanks for any advice.

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

What is the appraisal for? Are you looking for someone to give you an idea of the value of the car? for insurance?

3. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

I know of a guy on the east coast who will fly to the gulf coast who knows KRs real well. :whistle:

4. Reduco

Reduco Member

Thank you for the response. I am looking to obtain a current value of the car as well as find out what could be detrimental to replace, i.e. the entire floor from firewall to rear frame rails to replace or just patch certain areas. Just really want to pick someones brain that knows these vehicles well. I would really like make as very few mistakes as possible when it comes to the rust repair. Thanks again.

5. Coralsnake

Well, you don't need an appraisal to do that. Most appraisals are not what they are cracked up to be.

The value of your car is going to be determined by it's condition, history and documentation.

The less sheet metal you can replace the better. Quality workmanship is essential. You simply have to balance the two and document the process of what ever you do with photographs.

You will be hard pressed to find two people that know 1968 Shelbys more that the respondents in this post.

Feel free to post or email us....

www.thecoralsnake.com

6. Reduco

Reduco Member

Aww... fantastic! The knowledge I have gained so far is due to countless hours on the internet and I am still left with more questions than answers. It's great to finally here from someone with a lot of knowledge about these cars. I have booked mark your site, thank you, and if you don't mind I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on. When you get a chance could you describe to me what the weld should look like where the roll bar meets the floor pan. It doesn't look like a factory job to me and I know parts of the floor were replaced at one time. Thanks again I really appreciate it.

7. Coralsnake

That sounds like a description of an original weld job. :blink:

But, I would have to see a picture to make sure. If you want to send me floor pictures, I can give you a pretty good idea of what needs to be replaced.

8. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Agreed

9. Coralsnake

10. Reduco

Reduco Member

Sounds great. The car is currently in my old mans shop so I will get some pics and send them along soon. Thanks again.