Join Shelby Forums Today

68 Paint Color

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by Seaweed, Jul 20, 2010.

1. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

According to the Marti report , Sunlit Gold [ Y ] Ford Paint # 3073-A & the Mustang Detailing Guide of 1995, gives the # A E 60 3216 . I would assume their both Acrylic Enamel . ?? What is the correct # Sunlit Gold for this paint ? Thanks,---S.

2. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

All cars were originally painted acrylic enamel by Ford. Any good paint supplier should be able to cross reference the color codes to today's numbers. You will probably end up with a base / clear.

These are the numbers I have:

http://www.thecoralsnake.com/PAINT.HTML

If you find something wrong, please let me know and I will change it. I plan to paint a Sunlit Gold car within a few months, so it's good to have a guinea pig.

:lmao:

3. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

My numbers should be correct. The number you have is Ford code and you can't buy FORD paint (I don't think you can). So you you can use my numbers to find the paint you need.

:guns:

4. Seaweed

Seaweed Well-Known Member

The P.O. gave me a can of Dupont Code #4874 , when I got the car from him some 12 years ago, but some how, his paint & the paint on the car, are realy not the same. Do appreciate ,---S

5. whiteykr

whiteykr Member

Hello,all cars were not painted acrylic enamel as some were painted plain enamel.on some of the 65-66 mustangs i have seen over the last 30 yearsthe door tag will have a black background or a grey background. One is acrylic enamel and the other is enamelhope this helps.

6. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

We're talking about 68 procedures here, I second the statement that all were acrylic

7. patty.dilabio

patty.dilabio Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    Just to add to this thread.
    The Acrylic enamel/Alykid enamel would only apply to a few early 60's Fords and not just Mustangs.By 1968 Acrylic Enamel was used by all plants,and the color Sunlight Gold was quite common.Chances of you now being able to use/find this type of paint are extremely slim,and you would most likely be disappointed with the results.The best advice is to talk to a pro restoration shop and let them show you a sample of work.New paints are better and accepted/expected in todays world.
    I would not use Dupont paint.Personal experience and preference are with
    PPG products.Hope this helps out.
    P.D. :thumbup: