Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 - 2011 Shelby GT500 Spare Tire

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DS1516pb, Jul 9, 2010.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I know the chances of a flat are slim and even so with the run flat tires which by they way are quite expensive.

Has anyone considered carrying a spare? What will fit in that spare well that will not tear up the live axle in the 2007 Shelby GT500? Or is it just gonna have to sit in the trunk? The tire would have to at least be the size of the rear as far as 40 and 18 correct? And width wouldnt really matter for a spare and you should be able to use that up front as well without tearing anything up.

For example. A spare could be a full in the trunk not in the wheel well that is the same size or a little more narrow than the rear tire and that will work correct?

Height profile in the front doesn't matter as much as the back. Right?

Any thoughts.

Dan

2. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

I have a 2010 Shelby GT500 and a full size spare. Got it from American Muscle. Spoke closely matches factory and the used their recommended tire size which is a 245/40 x 19. I have to deflate the tire to fit in the well so I carry a jack and a air compressor. Pretty cool and now I have a full size spare.
    Racin' Randy

3. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Vulcanized Plug Kit is allot cheaper, lighter, with a small compressor and works great. Always use the factory inflation kit as a last resort as it's to expensive to replace.

4. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

I have an 09 shelby with 18 inch tires. I am looking into getting a 17 inch wheel with a full sidewall spare that will fit in the trunk well, aired up. If I have a flat I won't go fast but I will roll to the next place to get it fixed.

5. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

Well, I have a full size 19" wheel in the wheel well and it almost fits with the tire deflated. It will go in down to about a 3-4" to the bottom. This gives me a place to put tools (under the spare) and raises the bed of the trunk which now gives me on the sides a depression for putting my cleaning stuff, air compressor, low profile jack, handles and they don't roll around. I only loose about 3" of height in the bed but gain these locked in areas.

So I think a 18" wheel would fit nicely. or a 17". Don't know if a 17" will clear the front brakes though. My 19" does.
    Racin' Randy

6. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing up that brake clearance question. When I get my new tires in August I will check that out.:thumbup:

7. Omicron

Omicron Member

Anyone ever solve this? The wheel well is plenty big to hold a full size spare I'd think not deflated if we didn't match the 18" OEM wheels. Will 17's clear the brakes? How about a steel wheel? How about a spacesaver spare?

8. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

Already checked,,,17's will not clear the brakes. Now checking into an 18 with 20 lbs of air, just enough to hold the rim bead in place and fit down in the well. When you change the tire you would have to finish airing it up before you let the jack down. It will have to be a compact hydraulic jack to fit under the front wheels. Got a DC electric impact that plugs into the power socket.