Join Shelby Forums Today

2007-2009 Shelby GT500 Clutch TSB - Please List Your Dealer

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DS1516pb, May 21, 2010.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

If everyone would not mind listing their dealer whether they had success there or not getting the clutch TSB service done it would greatly be appreciated by everyone who owns this Shelby most notably me.

Thanks, Dan.

2. robwidner

robwidner Well-Known Member

Mine had clutch noise Dan and i took it to Wray Ford here in Bossier city. They said it was characteristic of the so called " racing clutch" in these cars and wouldn't do anything about it. Cheesy in my opinion, of Ford.

3. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

My dealer is Midway Ford in Hurricane West Virginia and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with my clutch and the drive train noise was "normal".

And since I had an extended warranty that it would cover in case something happened later. Even though the car is a difficult shift when the clutch heats up at times and the whole car shakes a lot when you let it in and out of of gear at times. Plus the hissing when letting the clutch IN and OUT.

I had the windows tinted Friday and the guy moving my car around the garage at Ziebart asked me "What is all that hissing noise when you let the clutch out?" and all I could say it was a substandard clutch and flywheel assembly that I was having trouble getting a dealer to do the TSB on it.

I didn't know what else to say to him.

AND JUST FOR THE RECORD WHY SOME DEALERS ARE ALREADY REPLACING THIS ASSEMBLY WITH THE 2010 WITHOUT A PROBLEM AND OTHER DEALERS ARE NOT THEY SHOULD ALL REPLACE THIS ASSEMBLY AND

IT IS A DESECRATION OF THE SPIRIT OF THE MUSTANG..ESPECIALLY THIS MUSTANG..NOT TOO!!!

Dan.

4. 67GT500

67GT500 New Member

My dealer is Park Cities Ford in Dallas. The car is in the shop now. They are performing the clutch TSB with no problem.:thumbsup:

5. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I am going to take a shot at this and say the chances are probably greater if the dealership is larger as opposed to a smaller one getting the TSB work done.

I mean it only makes sense. I think it is also partly the people you are dealing with for example at this dealership here I had NO PROBLEM getting a new clutch assembly put in my 1997 cobra when it had a different service manager and there was not a TSB on the car only noise when the clutch went in and out.

And it was replaced under warranty. I can't imagine my Shelby being a lesser car.

I think at this point and I am not saying this because I have a Shelby maybe more because I love Ford and Mustang, that they do a recall on this clutch/flywheel assembly for those years.

I mean it's the only right thing to do and it gets all the dealers on the same page instead of this inconsistent nonsense.

Dan.

6. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I was just going to bump this.

Dan.

7. bigbudd

bigbudd Member

i just called my dealer, nick nicholas ford in crystal river, fl. they are looking for the tsb. i will you all informed.

8. G8R CHOMP

G8R CHOMP Member

Galpin Ford (North Hills, CA) just north of LA on the 405.
    Vista Ford (Oxnard, CA) few miles northwest of LA on the 101.

My car is being done by the latter as I write. This better fix the issue...<_<

9. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well mine hasn't been done yet...and the question is if you have to "force" someone to work on your car...do you want them working on it?

Now I am a bit twisted as I plan a 5000 mile road trip with my Shelby and it had 12000 miles on it when I bought it (Now I know why they sold it) and I have only put 1000 miles on it now has 13000 miles.

I DO NOT TRUST THIS CLUTCH for a 5000 mile road trip.

So if you see a Shelby broke down on the interstate...IT'S ME!

I've owned this makes my 6th mustang and I tell you I know this clutch is not right.

Dan

10. tcons

tcons New Member

Bought my 07 GT 500 in May 2010 with 5700 miles. I took it in for service the week before Halloween and asked them to check the clutch. I hadn't really experienced anything to serious, but I did know about the problem with the clutch when I puchased the car and got the extended warrenty. They checked it out and said they would order the parts and change it before it became too much of a problem. The car know has 7780 miles on it. The work was done November 29 - 30. It seems like a totally differant vehicle now. I am very pleased so far. The dealer is Stamford Ford in Stamford CT.

Terry

11. robwidner

robwidner Well-Known Member

hey thanks for the info. i bought my car in clifton, texas and i live in bossier city louisiana. so it's a ways for me to go to my dealer where i bought it. but now that i have seen what you have had happen, it at least lets me know that some dealers aren't dicks.

12. mwy1205

mwy1205 New Member

Took my 2008 GT500 in for Oil Change and when returned the dealer - Maroone Ford of Ft. Lauderdale, FL - advised me that there was something wrong with the clutch!!?? Advised me that they had "emergency ordered" a new clutch and I should not drive the car. Seemed a little odd since I drove the car in just fine. Note there were some events of loud grinding noise when engaging the clutch in first gear - (not transmission gear grinding noise but clutch). It did not happen that often and had forgot to ask about it when I took the car in. can only guess that the service person experienced it (luckily).

Never mentioned at TSB which shows up on the Service order as TSB 100308.

Repaired under the warranty. Saw Warranty invoice of nearly $5000!!!

Clutch pedal has nearly no pressure to depress - not like the original clutch. I asked about this and the Service Manager explained that the original clutch instaled was designed for 800HP and hard race driving made for high heat use conditions, not normal highway/city driving. Explained that Ford has re-designed the clutch and this new one is the same one that is installed in the new 2011's.

Feel very lucky that this happened under the warranty, although I do have an extended warranty also but if I recall does not cover the clutch.

Concerned that this clutch will not perform when car driven hard - rarely for me but seems very "woossey" compared to the high pressure one that ware removed.

My car has 7600 Miles on it.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  13. dmctag

dmctag Member

14. mwjones56

mwjones56 Member

i bought my 2007 gt500 with 26000miles 12-27-10.i have not driven it much due to working.but i have not noticed anything with the clutch.i bought the car from joe cooper ford in okc.i would like to get the service records because now i am worried.i did purchase the extended warrenty also.

15. atashashane

atashashane New Member

Didn't you have a problem with yours and getting shelby to fix it? Just asking because if I ever end up having this problem I know what I am in for. We both have a lot of the same mods. and I can only wait to hear of all the reason they shouldn't fix it. Can you send me the details of the technical service bulletin?

16. JP20

JP20 Member

I had mine replaced at Machaik Ford in Houston, Tx. No problems at all! Great people to work with, and I will be taking my 08 there for everything.

Jp

17. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

I'm in for the second repair for this TSB. First time @ 9,700 miles and now again for 2010-2011, type clutch assembly @ 22,900 miles. Frank Wilson, the Service Mgr. @ STAR FORD in Glendale is great!! He knows the problems and gets the TSB's repaired!! Is any one else having problems with the paint bubbling and peeling off their Gt500 coil covers?? I asked Frank to warranty replace mine with the FORD GT type polished aluminum covers and I would cover the difference in cost, but was told they are no longer avail through Ford> I'm afraid the replacements will bubble and peel like the originals. Any one else on their second defective clutch, input shaft, flywheel, and pressure plate assemblies?? I think I should have got the Z06 instead, no better yet an M3 or IS-F, I understand they are more reliable...

18. mwjones56

mwjones56 Member

I bought my 07 gt500 from JOE COOPER FORD in O.K.C. Dec 27.It had 25678miles on it.I have 30000 on it now.I have'nt a problem with my clutch,but I have noticed a whine in the rear axle.And excessive road noise coming from the right rear,like a window down.My question is do I check Ford to see if the TSB work has been done to my car or what?

19. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

MWJones,
    Do a Google search for 2007- Shelby GT500 current TSB's, you'll be surprised what you'll find there. Some of your concerns are there also. Also a vehicle history report on your vehicel vin. # might determine if your Shelby has been in an accident.... Good luck!!

20. spyderbw

spyderbw Member

See Leonard the SVT expert at Galpin Ford (North Hills in the San Fernando Valley, CA). He takes care of the local Ford GT's , Shelby, Rousch, and Saleen cars here in SO CAL. If you want your clutch-flywheel problems solved.....No B.S. from these guys, they're an SVT dealer and know all the faults of these cars. I was on my second defective clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing, and related, they installed new style 2010-2011 clutch etc. with new style clutch hydrolics and all is well @ 25,000 mi.
    They also replaced my coil covers with their peeling paint problems (my these Found On Road Dead cars are sure well made, be sure to check all the TSB's related to your year GT500's). For such expensive cars, Ford sure doesn't support the owners of these HALO cars. Galpin Ford is GREAT!!!