Join Shelby Forums Today

1967 GT350 - Shelby~gt350#3000 - 05/2010

Discussion in 'Shelby of the Month' started by 67GT500#2100, Apr 30, 2010.

1. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Shelby Forums - Shelby of the Month - May 2010
    5/2010 Shelby~gt350#3000​

Shelby Forums username::Shelby~gt350#3000
    Year: 1967
    Make: Ford
    Model: Mustang Shelby GT350
    Shelby Number: #3000
    Engine: 289 hipo
    Trans: 4 speed
    Exterior color: Lime Gold Paint
    Interior color: Black
    Selling Dealer: LARSEN FORD, NY

Click here to see restoration from beginning to end.
    The official #3000 restoration thread!

Stats on #3000
    Documented 37,000 original miles.

A few words from #3000's owner.
    The motor was built with power and reliability in mind. I installed a 351 custom ground solid lift cam with a 536 ex. Lift, 512 int. Lift. Firing order modified to: 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 The motor was balanced and blueprinted from the damper to the flywheel. Forged rods and +.030" flat top pistons. Stroked 331 crank, ported and polished heads, 1.6" stainless ex. Valves, 1.94 stainless int. Valves, hardened seats, dual roller timing set, roller rockers and 1.6 performance valve springs with all ARP fasteners. The cam was degreed and advanced 2.5 degrees for good bottom end.

The motor idles great. Nice lump to it. The throttle response is amazing. Its right there off idle when romping the gas pedal. Performance is amazing from that little 289!

Equipment
     67 289 HIPO C5AE-E MOTOR
     S2MS, LIST 3259-1 CARB
     TRANS 4 SPEED TOPLOADER
     REAR 4:11 GEAR
     TRUE DUAL FLOWMASTER EXHAUST
     BFGOODRICH RADIAL T/A TIRES
     OUTBOARDS
     "Z" BEFORE SERIAL NUMBER
     DELIVERED TO LARSEN FORD, NY
     BUILT 6/7/67
     10 SPOKE
     P/S, P/B
     DSO BUILD SHEET FOUND UNDER CARPET BY PREVIOUS OWNER

Now, the rest of the story!
    Our journey to buy a Shelby began in the winter of 2006. At that time Shelbys were getting BigBIG Money so we knew it wasn't going to be easy to find an affordable Shelby. We knew we would have to find a Project Shelby. With that in mind my wife and I did what we had to do to come up with the funds, sell off the other toys. That meant the 67 Shelby clone convertible that was in my wife's family for many years had to go, the 68 Firebird had to go, the 62 Corvair Spyder had to go and the 86 Buick Grand National had to go. Ouch! The 67 Mustang convertible was dear to my wife's heart and was given to us by her parents but, she knew I really really had a passion and desire to own a genuine Shelby. With her Love and support the journey began! The first Shelby I found online was a 67 4 speed Shelby painted in primer in need of a total restoration. I contacted the seller, and made an offer. My offer was counter offered with more money needed to buy. Try as I could I wasn't able to fund the extra needed cash so that 67 got away from us. The next Shelby we took interest in was a 68 Shelby. Red 4 speed black interior. It too needed a full make over.By this time now I was really getting eager for a Shelby. Project Shelbys don't come along everyday and I had no idea how many projects were out there and they surely weren't falling at my feet. Do I buy the 68 or keep looking? I preferred a 67. I contacted the 68 registrant at the time to get info on the 68. The 68 registrant wasn't available that day to talk with so I called the 67 Registrant Dave Matthews. He gave us some helpful guidance on the car and suggested we get the car inspected before dropping the hammer. So, we took his advice and did just that. Turns out the car was a rusted out total pile of junk. The cost to repair the car would have truly exceeded its value. Great news for us, bad news for my Hunger to own.
    Dave knew of a 67 Shelby project that was a totally gutted rolling chassis with lots of boxes containing all the needed goodies to get her back to life. All of the Shelby stuff was there she just needed to be completely restored. The Shelby he was referring to was #3000. Picture after picture was emailed to us. The first picture I saw was a bare shell and 4 tires. Wow what a gorgeous site! I fell in love right away. After many email's and pictures back and forth a deal was made to get #3000 in our garage! My great friend Gary and his wife were kind enough to travel to Connecticut to pick her up! She finally arrived in an open trailer behind my friends Chevy Suburban. I think I shed a tear that day. Our new member of the family arrived and she was gorgeous!

Now the process of inventorying all the parts has begun. If you have ever restored a car that was taken apart before you got it, you know it can be a monumental task. This restoration was going to be just that-MONUMNETAL. Non the less it was time to bring #3000 back to her glory days. I began work on the car immediately. Day after day, night after night. Hundreds upon hundreds of hours went into her. #3000 was very solid however she still needed some metal work. My friend Gary lent me his metal working knowledge and educated me in the fine arts of patience and precision when it comes to metal repairs. A tremendous amount of helpful knowledge of the "do's and don'ts" of restoring the car properly came from Bob Gaines , Jeff Speegle and many other forum members whom I'm grateful to! My buddy Gary did a super fine job of laying down the 4 layers of primer and Dupont Lime Gold Paint. Every nut, bolt and screw was replaced or restored. All of the electrical, brake lines, fuel lines and glass was taken to a level of perfection. Hour upon hour of blocking and wet sanding was personally done to achieve that flat panel of perfection. No short cuts were taken. The total restoration took 3 years to complete. My wife, kids and immediate family played a key role into seeing her completiton. #3000 was finally revealed to the entire family on December 25, 2009. She drives incredibly well and performs even better. This car is truly a pleasure to drive. The attention it gets on the road is unmeasurable. Life is short. Enjoy it and persue your dreams!

Here it is when found!
    [​IMG]

During restoration.
    [​IMG]

#3000 Post restoration!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 1967GT350

1967GT350 Member

Hi Jim

Congrats on "car of the month"! The car looks fantastic and you deserve all the accolades which you and the car receive. Very inspiring!

...Mark

3. ELJ1st500

ELJ1st500 Well-Known Member

Hello Jim,

Congratulations on "Car Of The Month". Your car sure turned out great! Drive it and enjoy it!!!

Eric

4. Shelby~gt350#3000

Shelby~gt350#3000 Well-Known Member

Thank you Mark and Eric! Love everyday of owning this Shelby!
    Jim

5. zrayr

zrayr Well-Known Member

that's a great car ! but no longer a "little 289"

Z.

6. Shelby~gt350#3000

hahaha, true true! She screams power. It sure is something else how many little horses you can squeeze out of a little 289!
    Jim

7. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Jim, great car. It has been a joy following your progress and I am glad all the hours of work turned out such a fantastic Shelby. Larry

PS What's up with the inboards in the first picture? Did the previous owner change it?

8. Shelby~gt350#3000

Thanks Larry! #3000 is an original outboard car. The owner at that time installed inboards. Lucky for me the outboard equiptment was still with the car.

Jim

9. annhall5

annhall5 New Member

The restoration job is impeccable - it has transformed the shelby into a great looking one!

10. Shelby~gt350#3000

thank you very much!
    jim

11. mike62202

mike62202 Member

i was wondering what the color of my 67 looks like,i have an i paint code,but its painted blue now,i did fine a small scratch on the shelby tail light houseing and that is the color,if the blue did not look so good i would go back to the lime gold.nice ride.

Attached Files:

12. Shelby~gt350#3000

thank you! Lime Gold is truly a color that can grow on anyone.

jIM

13. tcapps2461

tcapps2461 New Member

my garage doesn't look like that all the time ,at the time of that photo my mother in law just died and she had a lot of stuff we had to store plus I thing the photo was a little staged. The car looks great!

14. racin' randy

racin' randy Member

Got to be proud. Great job.
    Racin' Randy

15. Shelby~gt350#3000

Thanks Randy!

Very Very Proud indeed!!

jim

16. bstonmike

bstonmike Member

I'm in love ------- What a beautiful job. If I had known the 350 was available now I would have bought it, but i fell in love with my black so head over heels I didn't even think to ask ......... MORE POWER TO YA MY FRIEND !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013