Join Shelby Forums Today

68 Shelby 302 4v heads identify

Discussion in '1965-1970 Shelby Mustang GT350 & GT500' started by 69shelbycoupe, Apr 27, 2010.

1. 69shelbycoupe

69shelbycoupe Member

I have a pair of 302 4v heads. Casting # C80E. Are these from a 68 shelby GT350? Also what is J-code. How do I identify these heads more so I know what I have? I want to sell them if anyone is interested. They have the rockers studs but no valves. I have pics if anyone wants them emailed to them. Email me if interested at backpacking1@verizon.net or just post here with more info.
    Thanks Rich

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

If they are 4v heads from a 68 302 they have to be a J code as that is what a 68 4v head is. They also can be for a 4 speed car (with thermactor ports) or auto (no ports) I'm not looking for any but depending on which head they are, the dates on them and price I might be interested
    tlea7@cox.net

3. 69shelbycoupe

69shelbycoupe Member

They are indeed 68 so they are J-code. They do not have emission ports on them so they came on an auto car. Thanks.

4. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

5. 69shelbycoupe

69shelbycoupe Member

6. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

OK, your not getting this. There is a month/year/day cast into the heads in the format of 7M8 or 8C21 or similar. That is what I am looking for.

7. 69shelbycoupe

69shelbycoupe Member

I know what you mean. They have 8F21 cast in them. I know about what they are worth but what do you think? They have the rocker studs in them but no valves or springs. Thanks

8. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update. Being dated that late for a 68 they would not be as valuable as earlier ones as you limit them to only July build cars if someone was date conscious. Having said that they are still correct for any 68 j code automatic. Thermactor heads are worth more than non thermactor just because they are harder to find. The valves/springs missing doesn't concern me as I would replace all that stuff anyway. I would think you could get 3-400 for the pair

9. 69shelbycoupe

69shelbycoupe Member

thanks. I am selling them. I have no use for them. I've had them for 10+ years just sitting on a shelf. I have a couple people interested in them but no real offers. Thanks again for clearing up the details for me.

10. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

All good advice, but the estimate of their value might be a wee bit high. Because if I needed 302 heads and wasn't date concious, there are a lot of other choices. The heads are pretty common and were used on a lot of cars other than Shelbys. As mentioned above the thermactor heads are way more desirable.

:guitar: