Join Shelby Forums Today

2007 - 2009 Shelby GT500 Technical Service Bulletins TSB's

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by DS1516pb, Apr 3, 2010.

1. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

2007 Ford Mustang V8-5.4L SC VIN S
    Vehicle Level Technical Service Bulletins All Technical Service Bulletins
    All Technical Service Bulletins
    Information
    Number Date Title
    08-21-6 10/27/2008 Drivetrain - Excessive Rear Axle Whine
    08-21-7 10/27/2008 Body - Power Window 'Bounce-Back' Diagnostics
    08-17-3 09/01/2008 Body - Convertible Top Quarter Glass Separation
    08-16-4 08/18/2008 M/T - Hard Shifting/Grinding On Shifts/Clutch Drag
    08-9-2 05/12/2008 Lighting - Uncommanded Perimeter Lighting
    08-7-6 04/14/2008 Ignition System, Spark Plug Removal Instructions
    08-4-2 03/03/2008 Engine - Cold Start Drive Belt Whistle/Hoot Noise
    08C02 02/22/2008 Recall - Occupant Crash Protection Non-Compliance
    NHTSA08V082000 02/21/2008 Recall 08V082000: Crash Protection Non-Compliance
    08-3-4 02/18/2008 Exhaust System - Rattle/Buzz From Floor Console Areas
    08-2-4 02/04/2008 M/T - Shifter Boot Ticking Noises
    07-21-12 10/29/2007 Fuel System - Difficult Fuel Fill/Nozzle Shuts OFF
    07-20-3 10/15/2007 Convertible Top - Tension Cable Tick/Pop/Rattle
    07-19-1 10/01/2007 Body - Premature Convertible Top Wear
    07-17-6 09/03/2007 Audio System - Buzz/Rattle From Door Speaker/Door Panel
    07-17-8 09/03/2007 Body - Various Convertible Top Concerns
    07-16-7 08/20/2007 Body - Exterior Door Handle Not Flush/Loose/Rattles
    07-14-6 07/23/2007 Body - Water Leaks Onto Front Floor Area
    07-12-3 06/25/2007 Restraints - Control Module DTCs & Associated Fault PIDs
    07-10-3 05/28/2007 Air Bag System - Warning Lamp ON/DTC 2295/Code 22
    07-5-8 03/19/2007 Battery - Battery Eye Function/Charging/Service
    07-5-13 03/19/2007 Battery - Discharges After Vehicle Storage
    07-4-3 03/05/2007 Interior - Leather Wrapping On Steering Wheel Is Loose
    07-1-7 01/22/2007 Steering - Mercon V(R) Fluid Usage
    06-26-2 01/08/2007 Interior - Carpet Removal/Replacement Procedure
    06-26-1 01/08/2007 M/T - Mercon(R) V ATF Usage Information
    06-25-15 12/11/2006 Body - Aluminum Body Panels - Corrosion
    06-25-3 11/30/2006 Audio System - Pioneer Navigation Radio - Seek Inop
    06-21-19 10/30/2006 A/C - Heater Core Electrolysis/Leakage
    06-17-8 09/04/2006 Electrical - Wiring Harness Replacement Guidelines

2008 Ford Mustang V8-5.4L SC
    Information
    Number Date Title
    08-20-2 10/13/2008 Audio System - Door Sub-Woofer Pop/Crackle/Distortion
    08-12-9 06/23/2008 Keyless Entry - Transmitter May Not Operate
    08-9-2 05/12/2008 Lighting - Uncommanded Perimeter Lighting
    08-7-6 04/14/2008 Ignition System, Spark Plug Removal Instructions
    08-5-1 03/17/2008 Audio System - Radio Won't Seek Sirius(R) Radio Channels
    08-4-2 03/03/2008 Engine - Cold Start Drive Belt Whistle/Hoot Noise
    08C02 02/22/2008 Recall - Occupant Crash Protection Non-Compliance
    NHTSA08V082000 02/21/2008 Recall 08V082000: Crash Protection Non-Compliance
    08-3-4 02/18/2008 Exhaust System - Rattle/Buzz From Floor Console Areas
    08-2-4 02/04/2008 M/T - Shifter Boot Ticking Noises
    07-17-6 09/03/2007 Audio System - Buzz/Rattle From Door Speaker/Door Panel
    07-17-8 09/03/2007 Body - Various Convertible Top Concerns
    07-16-7 08/20/2007 Body - Exterior Door Handle Not Flush/Loose/Rattles
    07-14-6 07/23/2007 Body - Water Leaks Onto Front Floor Area
    07-5-13 03/19/2007 Battery - Discharges After Vehicle Storage

2009 Ford Mustang V8-5.4L SC
    Information
    Number Date Title
    08-21-2 10/27/2008 Computers/Controls - Sync Software Programming
    08-20-6 10/13/2008 SYNC(R) System - Various User Issues
    08-20-2 10/13/2008 Audio System - Door Sub-Woofer Pop/Crackle/Distortion

rshelby likes this.
  2. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I am having the flywheel/clutch TSB done on my 2007 Shelby GT500 next week under warranty. Is there anything else that I need to get done that is or is not on this service bulletin?

Also, it is my understanding from reading through the forum that when you have the flywheel/clutch TSB done now Ford is in fact using the 2010 Shelby GT500 flywheel/clutch setup for the TSB replacement.

Thanks Dan.

3. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well I dropped my car off Tuesday evening and Nick at the dealer called just now and said him and the transmission guy couldn't replicate any shift problem out of the normal and said there was a little drive train chatter but no clutch slippage either. And I told him maybe it was me but I clearly seen after 10 or 20 mins of continuous clutch usage that it did in fact have to be forced into 1st and 2nd gear on shifts. He said they couldn't replicate it so they couldn't fix it but I had plenty of warranty left in case it started doing something. I told him I wasn't worried about the warranty more about tearing up my car or the transmission. I told him I would come down there and show him what it was doing and if it didn't do it then that was fine. And I told him we didn't even need to go for a drive to get the clutch to mess up that I could show him sitting right there at the garage. And then he told me I couldn't come today to come tomorrow at 9 or 10 when the transmission guy was there and I told him fine. Maybe it was just me but I know for a fact that after 10 or 20 minutes of clutch usage you had to hard shift or force it into 1st and 2nd or stop double pump the clutch and then try to shift it again to get it and out of gear.

Well see.

Thanks, Dan.

4. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

I haven't been to the dealer yet today to talk to them about my car. Do you guys have any advice what I should do. I know I can show them that it is very hard shift just sitting the the parking lot. But I don't want to fight with them as they will turn it in on warranty work as "nothing wrong".

So do you think I should argue with about it, just leave my car until they fix it, drive it until it breaks, pay to fix it myself even though I have an extended warranty and a TSB, file a complaint, take it to a larger dealership that can handle the repair, or trade it in on an EVO? lol

Thanks for you input.

Dan.

5. Mustangmike

Mustangmike Member

OK

I've been hearing all kinds of things about this clutch/transmission issue.

Bottom line is, I noticed issues as soon as I purchased my used Shelby 2008 with 1873 miles, two months ago.

Shaking when I let the clutch out in first, not much control with the clutch as far as being able to control the car with it, there was very little control here.

I had taken the care in about a month ago, they pretty much gave me the performance story, that it was normal, etc.

So I said OK, plus I was hearing the same stuff here. So I'm thinking maybe I'm being a little too critical with this issue..

So last weekend I started getting the car shaking when I let out the clutch, that was it for me, a car that costs almost 50K should be able to shift gears without a bunch of crap going on in the process.

I took it back in on Monday, this week, told the guy my story, and said if you tell me this is normal, your gonna get me two Shelbys to test drive, and if they do it, we're calling Ford to tell them they screwed up this time. All the Shelbys have a tranny problem.

Guess what? I got a call about 3:00 pm and they told me that the car has a problem, and they have ordered the parts etc. I told them great.

The parts got in on Wed, I just picked up the car 1 hour ago, thats 6:00 pm 8 Apr 2010.

All I can say is YA BABY!!!!!!!!

The clutch is smooth, its not hard to push in, I have total control when letting the clutch out, I can actually control the action between the engine and the drive train!!

And guess what, no shaking!!

If you think your car has a problem, take it in, and have them look at it, if they give you the party line, take it in again, but get it fixed, you won't believe the difference.

Good luck to all you folks with the same problem, believe me you want this problem fixed if your have the problem, you won't believe the difference.

Bottom line is you're the one that owns the car, and you're the one who drives it, don't make a decision by committee, go with your gut on this one, I did, and am I glad I did.

Oh, one more point, the only reason I took in back to the dealer was I was scheduled for a CAI and tune on Wednesday, and I was afraid that this would cloud the issue, so I made the sacrafice, and took it back to the dealer. I hate having anything done to my car, for obvious reasons, but in this case, I had no choice.

One more thing, they are installing 2010 parts to fix the issue.

6. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well I finally made it down today to pick up my car and worked the clutch in and out of gear in the parking lot, in gear, with the E brake on. For about 10 or 20 minutes and I couldn't get it to act up. But yea the drive train vibration I noticed several times the other day with the hard shifts. But the dealer claims they couldn't replicate it and it didn't do anything on me while I was there picking up my car. But they told me if anything went wrong they would cover it including the transmission and for me not to worry. They also said only certain people were even allowed in my car because it is rare for them to get the car in the shop at that dealer. The are the licensed SVT Ford dealer for the area and do sell and service cobra. However, I don't believe the see nor service hardly any Shelby's.

So I brought it home after out driving a bit. It seemed to do OK. Only once or twice did I have problems getting it in and out of first gear and only 3 or 4 times did I feel the clutch drive train vibration. You could hear and feel a lot of drive train chatter and the dealer said that was normal. It does do that ALL the time.

So I told them I would drive them a bit and if it got worse bring it back in. I think also maybe they are afraid to drive/work on my particular car. We'll see.

Mustangmike who is your dealer if you don't mind me asking? lol

Thanks, Dan.

7. Mustangmike

Mustangmike Member

Hey Dan

Sorry your having such a hard time with your Shelby. My car was would always feel strange grabbing 1st gear, but the shaking was a new thing. I did have to make two trips to the dealer, and the second time after I told them we're going to test drive another Shelby to compare, is when things started happening. But I think your car needs to show one of the signs of the issue. I love my car, but the transmission thing was getting me to the point I was starting not really enjoy driving it, I felt like I was going to do damage to the car.

You may need to find a bigger dealer, i.e. one that has worked on this issue before, who wants to have a lesson with your car? The tech that worked on my Shelby had already done 8 this year, so I felt pretty good about him working on my car.

Where are you located? small town large town?

Also these issues are visable to the naked eye once the transmission has been taken out. Maybe you could talk them into a visual inspection of the clutch/flywheel?

Just a suggestion...

Be sure to update the forum dude

Good luck

Mike

8. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Well the I am from West Virginia and the dealer is Midway Ford in Hurricane the licensed Cobra/SVT dealer in my area. I bought the car at Fort Wayne Indiana's Regional Ford Headquarters at Dimension Ford. It was the only place I could find a Shelby I had to drive 8 hours each way to get it.

I had a 1997 Cobra new and this dealer did a clutch on it under warranty about 8 or 9 years ago. So they say their transmission guy is the best in the area. But I can't believe they didn't notice how miserable first gear is. And yes just the same I'm getting were I hate driving the car. I left it at the dealer two more whole days then I was supposed to.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. They act like unless the transmission which they call "bulletproof" goes out in it then its not a fixable problem.

But if your dealer done 8 and didn't want to do yours without a fight I'm sure I will have to go back a few times. As I know in reality "the squeeky wheel always gets the grease" and I'm an excellent squeeker!

Thanks, Dan.

9. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Just a quick update. I went out driving all day today and rode the clutch pretty good. And it seems to be very hard going in 1st gear about 30 percent of the time. I haven't got rear ended yet setting at a stoplight in neutral...but it worries me being able to get the car back in 1st gear fast enough...sometimes I have to try twice because I can't force it. And the shaking when letting it out in first gear I try to control it but not having a lot of luck with it and it is also doing it to about 30 percent of the time.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do at this point. I may write Ford/SVT a letter and see what they say. Maybe see if their is another dealer that can look at it for me. I hate to force anyone to work on my car because if you have to do that...do you really want them working on it?

I'm not going to beat anyone up over this car yet but I will say I am so glad I DID NOT give sticker or anything over it new for this car in 2007.

The quest continues. I am not very happy right now but I will keep driving it until something gives.

Thanks Dan.

10. DS1516pb

DS1516pb Banned

Car is still running. However clutch sounds/feels like total garbage. We'll see.

Thanks, Dan.

11. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Mustang Mike, is right they are using 2010 parts to fix the clutch problem.

Well, my 08 GT500 clutch finally bit the dust at 16000. I was traveling down I-25 to Albuquerque for an appointment, went to pass a truck and it revved to 5000 rpm and wouldn't accelerate. Knew then it had bit the dust. Wife looked at me with a very sick look. Turned around and nursed it back to the dealer which was very lucky. Wife called them in route and let them know they might have to tow it. Topped the hill to turn into the dealer and I did want to take it out of 2 gear and loose my momentum.

Went into the Service Garage and parked it right in front of the Service Rep Podium. Service Rep was to busy talking to a friend on the phone so I walked away with the keys and went to the waiting room and set down. They finally paged and asked if the owner would come to the service desk after about a half an hour. By this time I was a little pissed but I kept my cool! Service Rep tried to explain to me how the Shelby was a race car and I had to expect clutch linings wearing quickly. I chuckled and let him give his pre-recorded speech about the GT500. He went on and on about how they were made to race and not for daily use. He told my wife the clutches were made to dump not feather on take off.

After listening to him spew for about 15 minutes he said it would cost $2800 to repair. My wife explained to him that we had an extended warranty and preferred care until late in 2012. He told us the clutch linings weren't warranted after 12,000/1 year. I really began to laugh! I told the Service Rep "so, what I should have done was burn the clutch up between 5000 and 11,500 miles and got a new clutch, then repeated every 11,500. Instead I'm being penalized to the tune of $2800 for taking care of it for the 16000 miles and then having it burn up! Not to get any more frustrated over the situation, I told them to get it tore down and call me. Funny thing is, I walked out of the dealer and just threw my hands in the air and said "God when am I going to get a break?'

We got home and both of us made a several phone calls to the Service and Dealership managers, Ford SVT, Ford Complaints and even made an appointment with the Dealership Owner. His secretary kept asking about the issue I wished to discuss with him throughout our conversation. I told her it was regarding a clutch problem on my 08 GT500. I explained to her and the other staff members, I was aware of the two service bulletins Ford had released regarding the clutch problems. I explained, with Ford being aware of the problems I didn't want the same garbage or anything similar installed again. This isn't the first time I've road this horse!

I'd already made a phone call to C.J. at Shelby requesting his recommendations on a clutch that would preclude any future problems. I already knew the answer but wanted to confirm my thoughts. He stated quickly and with out failure "SPEC 2+, with their Aluminum Fly Wheel." Thanks C.J.

Well as God would have it, we got a phone call later that day from both the Service Manager and the Service Rep, they would be replacing the clutch and pressure plate at no charge to us. We thanked them promptly!

I suppose what aggravates me the most is, Ford and their Dealer Network reluctance to fix the problem under recall. They aware of the problems but they want to play on the good nature of most GT500 Owners, thinking if they don't know then we will charge them the $2800.00 and if they bring up the service bulletins and complain then we won't. This is just outright dishonesty! Believe me service managers and reps have been made aware of this issue, are well briefed and have the dialog to go along with it. What's even sadder is they are more determined to take advantage, then step up and deal with the issue honestly. Ford should deal with the problem outright instead of hiding it in service bulletins for there Technicians. They should recall them and actually fix the problem instead of ignoring it until an owner complains about it directly.

I'm very fortunate not to have been charged and I consider it divine providence but this still doesn't excuse the tactics Ford is using to deal with this issue. I still have to laugh being told "the GT500 being a Race Car and you have to be aware it's not really a daily driver!" I say to Ford and it's Dealers, "Oh, then I guess the 4800 already in production for 2011 should just sit in the garage awaiting a GT500 racing series not to mention the 2007, 08, 09 & 10's that were sold. Then Ford can jerk the warranties for tracking the vehicles." Sarcastic, yes but Ford needs to understand all the GT500's produced are daily drivers and should have been produced with this in mind! If Ford thinks for one moment I spent 50K to let it sit in a garage and only drive it on the third weekend of the month, so the clutch won't wear out abnormally then Ford is as stupid as they appear. I kick myself for giving them an opportunity and selling my 911 Carrera. Won't make that mistake again.

The funny thing is I've had numerous vehicles which produced high horsepower and were actually considered track vehicles. None of them ever needed a clutch replacement after 16000 miles of hard or normal use! Most after being hammered on the track, didn't require a replacement till well after the warranty period or sometimes never. I believe it comes down to substandard materials Ford is using in the GT500's drive train. Obviously Ford is aware of the substandard materials is using aren't able to handle the normal wear and tear of everyday use and that's BS. They need to man up and "Git'er Done!!!

Moral to the story, "Don't give up, pester the heck out of them about the problem! Call everyone that has anything to do with getting it fixed. Take it in and demand they replace it on Fords dime, as it is a Ford screw up which they're most certainly aware of." If you give up with out a fight your going to pay the piper to the tune of $2800. If you have to do it yourself, go see your reputable performance shop or Shelby in NV and have them put in a SPEC 2+ with their Aluminum Fly wheel for around 1800.00. It will solve the short and long term problems.

By the way if your in Albuquerque, stay far away from Rich Ford, their after sale service sucks! If you have to take your vehicle to another Ford dealer for service they'll treat you like crap! They will lie to you and generally screw you over! Honestly they're like a three ring circus! You've been warned!

Mine is at Don Chalmers Ford and I'd like to give them the credit for stepping up and doing the right thing but...............after all the phone calls and stress I don't know if they're worth of praise. They have the GT500 and are replacing the clutch for nothing and I'm still very leery about their upgraded replacement. I'll let you know how things go and if they are worthy of praise.

Still pissed about having to spend $200 for a rental car for the week though! No loaners but they got a lot full of salesman demo's!!Sorry about the book! Just wanted to let you know how things are going!

Cheers

Jeffafa

12. Blackcobra2007

Blackcobra2007 Member

How is your new 2010 clutch working now. Are you doing any stop and go driving. The 2010 clutch don't like it. I replace my after 9,000 miles. Went back to a Spec 2 stage + unit. Have my pedal pressure now.

13. Blackcobra2007

Blackcobra2007 Member

Sorry, they didn't fix the problem. The 2010 Ford Sachs is also a piece of garbage also. It has the same problem with it. The 2 dual disc don't like stop and go driving. My lasted 9,000 miles and it was 3 weeks over the tears Warranty. Ford would not replace. I bought a Spec stage 2+ unit with a Aluminum flywheel. I have my pedal pressure back. Good luck on yours.

14. pdeanbailey

pdeanbailey New Member

Looks like I am the victim of a systemic powertrain issue with these clutches, and Ford is ignoring the problem.

Took my 2008 Shelby GT500 to Ford in April of 2011 (26793 miles) when the original clutch (AR3Z-7B546-AD) began slipping badly. The clutch was replaced under warranty, and I thought my troubles were over.

The vehicle came out of the warranty service/replacement with a pronounced vibration in the powertrain, which could be felt through about 10mph in first or second gear. I took the car back to Ford within the week, and I was told that the vibration I felt was part of the "break in" of the new clutch. I was none the wiser, since I'd never owned one of these before, and I let it go, even though my gut told me otherwise. The problem never got better or worse, but it never went away either.

Now at 43719 miles (16926 miles on the new clutch), I took it into service insisting that Ford locate the source of this chronic vibration in the powertrain, and try and fix it. First suspect was the driveshaft, which was replaced but did not correct the issue. The original driveshaft was replaced and then the service technician began looking at the clutch again, and "suspects" that the clutch has failed internally.

I insisted on seeing the clutch, and began asking about correct part numbers and such, because the vehicle had since gone past the original warranty for this issue, and there is just no way a clutch should be bad with just 16926 miles on it, given my very non-abusive driving habits and proper care of the car. As I examined it (just some very minor hot spots, but nothing glaring... certainly nothing to indicate that the clutch should be replaced again, so I suspect it was bad from the get go), the technician also explained how Ford has had chronic safety and manufacturing issues with that particular clutch, and that they no longer use them! They are now replacing them with the ones from the 2010 to 2014 model years (7R3Z-7L596-A).. But guess what... Ford is having issues with those clutches too, according to the same Ford Service Technician who is now working on my vehicle!

I'm told I will get a 2yr/unlimited miles warranty on this new clutch assembly, but Ford also expects me to pay $5100+ for this! Somehow, I see a deep disparity there, and it certainly doesn't instill any confidence toward the Ford Product and name with me right now.

Though I have thoroughly enjoyed driving this car, I can't afford forking out over $5000 toward maintenance every 17,000 miles or so, if their so-called "warranty" has expired when the issue happens again.

At this point, I have lodged a complaint with Ford Motor Company itself, and am hoping for some proper customer care and recourse from the corporate level.

Additionally, I began some research into this issue on my own (in fact, it's how I found this site). I find that this is a systemic issue that Ford has never dealt with properly. Once I found that out, I also lodged a safety complaint with the federal NHTSA website (Safercar.gov, ODI #10559445). Their website is https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml and I recommend that everyone who has encountered an issue like this with these clutches take time to lodge an official safety complaint there, since Ford seems insistent to ignore the issue, and pass these systemic high costs along to their customers.

This is just not right!

15. pdeanbailey

pdeanbailey New Member

ADDITIONALLY: Be sure to also raise your issue with Ford Corporate, at 1-800-392-3673. I've received no recourse of action from Ford thus far, but Ford Corporate is also required to forward our concerns to the NHTSB. The only way a recall will be issued is if enough people start complaining about it.