Join Shelby Forums Today

Defective Stripes? Advice and warning - Shelby GT

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by glassman92324, Feb 16, 2010.

1. glassman92324

glassman92324 New Member

Hi All
    I own a 2008 Shelby GT Convertible. The silver stripes discolored before the first year was up. I took it back to the dealer and it took 3 weeks for them to get them changed because they had hardened and came off in chips. Less than a year later they are discoloring again. I took it back to the dealer again just before the warranty was up and they took some pictures again and said they would let me know when I could bring it back in and have the problem fixed again. 3 weeks later they called me and said they were not going to fix them. When I contacted Ford customer service and proceeded through their channels they put me back in touch with the same dealer who told me they had lost the pictures and for me to take some more and they would handle it. I complied and 3 week later they tell me that the warranty is up and they will not repair the defective stripes. I have tried reasoning with them but since they are crooks and liars it is to be expected too be of no avail. I have now contacted attorney's and I am investagating a class action Lawsuit. I know that I bought my Shelby as an investment and expected it to be of the highest quality. Advice=DO NOT LET THE DEALER OFF THE HOOK JUST BECAUSE THEY SAY THEY WON'T FIX THESE. Stay with it and contact your dealership's owner & Ford Customers Relations @ Toll free: 1-800-392-3673
    MAKE SOME NOISE!!!. Am I pissed? Yes but more than that we have let these guy's tell us no for too long. This will be my last Ford product. I did not sign up to purchase crap.

2. sgt#644

sgt#644 New Member

Re: Defective Stripes? Advice and warning

I'm an owner of a 2007 Shelby GT. I took my car into my dealership on 10/19/09 to have the stripes replaced and a wrapped hood scope. The dealership took pics and sent them to Shelby Warranty. They said they required more pics so I sent them 10 high resolution pics of my own. the dealership and Shelby have given me dates of when the parts would be in 3 different times. I called Shelby today,2/16/10, and was told that new material was being used and that shipment would go out in 3 weeks. Shelby also told me that there are around 80 warrenty cases still pending. Glassman I can tell you are pissed but this will not be my last Ford!

3. 08SGT-C

08SGT-C New Member

Hey glassman, try contacting the Ford Motor Company Dispute Settlement Board. It's a group of Ford Employees that meet monthly to review disputes regarding warranty repairs. Their contact information and process can be found in the back of your owners manual. They really do listen and often favor the owner if you have all your ducks lined up.

You'll need all correspondance between you and the dealer as well as any previous work orders/service invoices, emails, pictures, etc. Have you tried talking to a regional manager yet? It's usually the next step up from the dealership. Often times they can resolve disputes before it gets to the settlement board.

Ford Motor Co. made a dealer buy back my '99 F350 dually when they refused to replace leaking fuel injectors. They should have spent the $4,500 for injectors, instead they paid me $33,000 for the whole truck. Sometimes you just get bad dealerships and have to get their attention by calling the regional folks or the parent company to get their attention. Good luck!

4. Gshep

Gshep New Member

I also own a 07 Shelby GT, with bad stripes, I just bought the car it has 13,000 Miles on it. Is it true that it is only repaid if it has 12k miles or less. If so is there any way to get ford to still fix it.

5. mal1965

mal1965 New Member

I just got the same news as what I'm reading on this board. They are trying to tell me that the stripes on my 07 Shelby is due to "Environmental Fallout" even though the car has never seen a rain drop. I assume they're talking about acid rain. Plus, the side stripes and the stripe on the spoiler, which is after market, are fine. It's just the hood, roof and trunk lid.

After I got this news, I started doing some research and found this blog. The last entry I found was in Feb. 2010 and I would like to know if anyone has received a resolution to this problem.

6. scdemar

scdemar New Member

Silver Stripes rusting - Shelby GT

I have a 08 shelbyGT-C, orange w/silver stripes. Stripes turning rusty, shelby won't replace. Anybody out the:guitar:re have similar issues?

7. 2thehilt

2thehilt New Member

I am having the exact same problem with my 2007 GT 350. I purchased it new in May of 2008, by Oct 2008 I had the stripes on the roof replaced and noticed that the stripes on the hood, trunk and both bumpers were also going bad and needing replacement. I contacted my dealer may times to make an appointment to get them replace, they to lost the pictures, kept giving me the run around and finally told me that Shelby won't warranty the stripes because they are only covered for the first 12 months and that the reason for the stripes going bad was environmental fallout. Which is a load of BS. The only environment my Shelby has seen is a sunny day in Michigan and the inside of my heated garage. I am not going to give up trying to get the stripes replaced and having either the dealership, Ford or Shelby pay for the repair. I believe Shelby knows that the stripes were bad and they should have a recall to replace them all, but it's hard for one person to make a big enough stink to make them do what is right.

I will let you know how it goes.

Phil

8. springer

springer Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a 2007 Shelby GT 350 before. I've seen the 2011 Shelby GT 350, but didn't know they were made in 2007, unless you mean Shelby GT.

9. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

We bought or '07 Shelby Hertz convertible about 2 years ago. The gold stripes had darker spots all over them. We took the car to our local dealer who took pictures and after a few weeks told that they would not cover them. We called Shelby in Las Vegas but they never really seemed to care. About 3 months ago we just gave in and ordered the stripes from Shelby and had them put on. As much as we want to keep it original, next time we're going to look at painting them on.

10. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

I'm taking mine into the dealer tomorrow. I have 16K on my car and the stripes on my 07' Shelby GT are all spotted. We will see what kind of crap they tell me.

11. Dlancer

Dlancer Active Member

Well. I took the car in Monday and they fixed a bad control arm which was making noise. However the service Mgr. looked at the stripes and checked with Ford. I was told that they would not cover the stripes because the damage was from the outside in and not inside out. I told him that the car is garage kept and there is nothing that would cause the damage except crap parts. I then went home and sent an email to the Ford customer service dept. I recieved an email from them today basicly saying sorry about your luck Ford won't fix them but we recommend you have the work done at your Ford dealer. Ha Ha. what a joke. I have had so many problems with dealers and Ford and GM not wanting to honor there warranties that I just don't get to wound up about it anymore. I'm looking into other options to fix the stripes. I am fortunate in that my son runs a parts and accessories business and I can get a good deal on either having the stripes painted on or new high quality vinyl stripes put on the car. It's kind of funny. The last Ford I bought was a 1976 Mustang Cobra II. I had so many problems with that car including the stripes cracking and fadeing in the first year. I swore I would never buy another Ford and I had not until I bought the Shelby. It's almost like it's 1976 all over again. I really thought they could at least make better vinyl stripes in the last 34 years.

12. kellywb8

kellywb8 New Member

Re: Silver Stripes rusting

Our 2007 Shelby is black with silver stripes. The silver stripes are dull and have lighter spots all over them. We finally got Shelby to send new stripes to the dealer and they put them on.

13. nick927

nick927 New Member

Just bought a 2007 Shelby GT with 2500 miles on it. Deal said I only had 12 months or 12 miles, to get them replaced. Im out of luck.

14. red09qsk

red09qsk New Member

I had the same problem....I bought my 2008 Shelby GT350 last May....by October, the hood, roof, and trunk stripes looked disgusting. I took it in to the dealer and after much haggling, they finally got permission to repair it and it took about 3 weeks for it to be done. I had it repaired in April/May 2010. By Aug. 2010, they looked horrible again. Some idiot hit the front of my car in a parking lot in August and scratched the top stripe and bumber stripe, so they were repaired again. But the roof and trunk still look bad. Ford's response to me has been it must be a bad batch of stripes....but, they're not doing anything to rectify it. I've already been told that to have them painted on would cost $3,000.00! I'm definitely not happy with it...this is my 3rd Mustang (1st Shelby) and it'll probably be my last. I don't have the time, money, or the energy to devote to babying this car like this.:(

15. robertvelazquez

robertvelazquez New Member

i also have the same problem i have a 2008 shelby gt and the stripes are also rusting how did you guys replace them because evryone gives me the reach around:grrr:

16. kellywb8

kellywb8 New Member

We contacted our dealer and they went directly to Shelby and forwarded our pictures of the horrible stripes. Shelby is sending all new stripes and hood scoop with stripes as well as money to the dealer to install. It took awhile, but finally paid off

17. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

Go to the Shelby GT Tech and Modification area of the Team Shelby web site to download the warranty info and process.

If you have had your car less then 12 months or 12,000 they will replace the stripes no questions asked. If longer you might luck out but the stripes are easily matched with a much higher quality material for not much money if that route doesn't work.

Remember: 9" width and 1" spacing ALL around the car!

18. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

First there was no 2008 GT350 you have a Shelby GT.

There are issues with ANY stripes when left to environmental hazards. Not saying it's right or wrong just a fact. You can't own a car with these stripes that is left to dry after a rain storm or allowed to sit night after night with chemical laden dew through the night.

In the case of the SGT they had material that's warranted by the manufacturer, ORCAL, for 5 years I believe. But even ORCAL has released a note about what is called "fallout" and how that will eat into the material and not covered.

The best you can do is find a PROFESSIONAL auto-grahics house that will use a 6-8 year material, best I've found so far, and take a great level of care with the stripes going forward.

It's not fun but unfortunately the nature of things right or wrong!

19. red09qsk

red09qsk New Member

20. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

Seriously? You really think you have a GT350 because someone slapped some thing on the side and lied to you? :doh:

READ MY LIPS: THERE WAS NO SHELBY GT350 in 2008! :thumbdown

Here:

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2008gt.asp

The Shelby GT350 was only recently released by Shelby American as a 2011+ model.

http://www.shelbyamerican.com/2011gt350.asp

Believe me what you have, I hope anyway, is a Grabber Orange or Vista Blue, 2008 Shelby GT, or you have no Shelby at all and your car is a complete fake.

If you bought your car as a GT350, if the seller told you it was a GT530, you were lied to and taken. FACT!

As for the stripes, well your knowledge is no better there than on the car you own, so we'll leave it at that I guess.