Join Shelby Forums Today

Defective Stripes? Advice and warning - Shelby GT

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by glassman92324, Feb 16, 2010.

1. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

Re: Defective Stripes? Advice and warning

And we have a winner!!!

:thumbup:

2. 66GT350PS

66GT350PS Well-Known Member

No kidding. JeffIsHereToo is correct. It is amazing how many dealers and car owners think that they have a GT350 when one was never manufactured, usually calling a Shelby GT or GTH a GT350 to differentiate it from Ford's Shelby GT500. There is no such thing as a factory Shelby GT350 for 2007 or any year after 1970 through 2010. Period. Yes, Ford did use the GT350 labeling on a 1984 special edition Mustang, but it was no Shelby Mustang. But Shelby American is making a GT350 2011. Stripes and other mislabeling do not make a car some assumed model of anything.

The stripe problem on the Shelby GT has been a continuing problem that has been mentioned on a number of Shelby related forums. Some cars have a major problem, others none. and some dealers are great at correcting the problem under warranty, others turn their backs. Seems like it would be a class action defect and under tech bulletin by now.

B)

3. red09qsk

red09qsk New Member

Jeff, you don't need to be a jerk about it....I'm just saying what's on the car. It doesn't make it worth less than what it is because it was still made by Shelby and in a limited number.

As far as my knowledge on cars, it's not bad for girl :D

4. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

After reading all of this, and hearing about other people having the same problems, I think next time we will have some stripes made and guaranteed by the manufacturer. As far as having them painted on, NO. If you need some body work done, you may need to remove all the paint and start over. What really bothers me is that my dad bought a new 1971 Ford F 250. It was Candy Apple Red. After a few years we found purple spots under the paint bleeding thru. What did the Ford Rep say? You guessed it, fall out. After 40 years and they still don't know how to stop this.

5. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

Hey, not trying to be a "jerk" but you told me I was wrong and well, I assure you, I'm not and thought it was you trying to be a "jerk". I know more about the Shelby GT than many and I was trying to help you and instead you focused on the GT350 issue and rebuked me.

Again, I never said anything about "value" other than maybe one day someone is going to want to replace the GT350 side stripe with the correct stripe perhaps.

But just to be sure you have what we "think" you have, can you tell us what your CSM number is which is on the dash plaque? Which by the way you will notice says "Shelby GT" not "GT350" BTW: Is your car Grabber orange or Vista Blue?

6. JeffIsHereToo

JeffIsHereToo Member

They will not guarantee against environmental damage this is universal. You can visit ORCAL's web site, 3M's web site, all will tell you they warrantee the strips anywhere from 3-8 years but that all bets are off if the damage is due to chemical damage due to the environment. We've been down this road so MANY times over the past three years I can't count um all.

Please see:

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/42158-sgt-stripe-care-warning/page__p__690115

7. springer

springer Well-Known Member

There are many "dealer created," fake 2006-2008 Shelby GT 350's out there. The two members here that posted they own "GT 350's" better have their GT 350's checked out somewhere since there is no such car as a Shelby GT 350 from Shelby American during 2006-2010! Here is photo below that I attached of a fake 2008 GT 350 hardtop, parked by my genuine, 2008 Shelby GT/SC.

The fake one in the photo even had GT 350 lettering in the bottom rocker stripe. Notice the overhead stripes and the hood scoop- striped like a Shelby GT. This GT 350 was totally created by some dealer or someone somewhere.

I'd check your car to see if it has the Shelby dash plate with the CSM number, and the Shelby plate riveted to the radiator support.

Attached Files:

8. 66GT350PS

Shelby Licensing owns the rights to the Shelby GT350 name and takes its misuse very seriously as I have found out in the past. This is one of the reason only a few vendors are authorized to sell the original style GT350 stripe kits for the classic models and must require that the purchaser have an original GT350. I have known dealers who put on the stripes on the newer Shelby GTs before this to have a legal notice sent to them about the misuse. Will all those who have played the Shelby knock-off GT350 stripe game be cited? I doubt it. But with the new 2011 GT350 release, I suspect that there will be alot more attention paid to mis-labelled Mustangs. The Shelby GT is a great enough car on its own merits and does not need renaming.

:cool:

9. pete

pete New Member

I am purchasing replacement stripes for my 2007 Shelby Mustang GT (black with silver stripes). As a separate issue I have been trying to get Ford to admit that they need to reimburse me for the stripes and labor since the car is within the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty. At first Ford indicated that the damage (faded blochy spots all over) to the stripes was caused by "environmental fallout" like acid rain for example, and therefore only subject to a 12,000 mile warranty. However, this is clearly not the case as the car only has 5,000 miles on it, it has never even been driven in the rain, and is stored with a car cover on it. Additionally, the dealership indicated it did not look like "environmental fallout" to them as the paint is fine and so is the black vinyl stripe on the air hood. It appears the silver stripes have degenerated due to heat (hood, roof, and trunk are primarily affected). I indicated to Ford I was aware that 2nd Generation stripes were issued due to some of these problems about 1-1/2 years ago. Ford is now trying to blame Shelby indicating the only stripes they authorize Shelby to put on their cars are for the GT 500. This is obviously incorrect as Ford contracted with Shelby in 2007 to make these modifications and the car was sold to me through a Ford dealership. I did not contract Shelby to make these modifications separately after purchasing the car.

I think the Shelby Vice President should be aware that Ford is trying to blame Shelby for something that Shelby is not responsible for. Basically, Ford is claiming the stripes belonged to Shelby and not Ford, therefore, Ford is not responsible.

I think these types of situations result in a lot of bad press for car companies when they dig their heels in. I just want Ford to fix my new car properly. I take this car to car shows. I may choose to leave it this way and when people ask me what is wrong with the stripes I will tell them they are defective and should consider this when buying a Ford product.

Best regards,

Pete Holman
    Ret. Advisory Nuclear Engineer

10. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

Like this one on eBay right now? I sincerely hope that uninformed buyers aren't paying premium prices based on misinformation by unscrupulous sellers, or buying these cars thinking that they're acquiring investment-quality vehicles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...7792842?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item3f05a7584a

I don't know if it's illegal, but it sure smells like it to me.

11. pete

pete New Member

Mine is an authentic Shelby, verified by Shelby. It has the serial number plate under the hood and on the dash. Mine is #5141, I think. Verified by Vin # also.

Ford has agreed to pay 1/2 the cost of stripes plus labor. Ford had to provide a number to Shelby authorizing Shelby to sell me the stripes (I had to be a legitamite Shelby owner). Shelby sent the stripes today and my car will be re-striped Dec 21, 2010.

Thanks,
    Pete H.

12. 66GT350PS

It sure is illegal. Send a note to John Luft at Shelby Licensing/SAI and both the dealer and seller will get a nasty note regarding legal issues. They do not take this kind of misrepresentation lightly especially if a commercial enterprise like a dealer is involved. :cool:

13. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

I emailed the seller yesterday and asked him about it - here's the reply I received:

"When the Mustang was bought at Jordan Ford, all the upgrades were done at time of Sale. They are a Shelby Dealer. This car is Not numbered, but the parts are Shelby. The Hood, Grill, bumper, spoiler, Wheels, seat markings, floor mats, and rear trunk cap. I have driven the car, which we just took in on trade, and it is very quick, so I think there has been performance upgrades, too. The shifter is a Hurst. It originally had racing stripes, but were removed because they did not hold up."

I don't generally care what other people do, and I've especially learned to overlook some of the awful stuff they do to cars, but when they are hanging a name on cars that I paid considerably more to have - legitimately - on my car, I do care a bit.

14. 66GT350PS

This is another case of dealer rip off. Shelby dealers sold the Shelby GT in 2007 period! And the Ford produced GT500. Just because they ordered Shelby factory parts does not make it a car that never existed, the 2007 Shelby GT350. Other dealers/sales staff have done and advertised similar modifictions with the similar "Shelby dealer" excuse and have had a note from SAI and Shelby licensing about the misrepresentation leading a buyer to believe that the vehicle is a factory vehicle of extra value. Things get nasty down the road when the car comes up for another individual resale and the owner finds that all they have is a Mustang with stripes, not a Shelby authorized car.

B)

15. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

The original 1965-1968 Shelby's never had Vinyl Lemans Stripes. I say, Paint the Stripes on. Just use 2007 Ford Mustang Satin Silver Metallic Paint.

16. Bushmaster

Bushmaster New Member

That's what I plan to do when the time comes. Do it one time, do it right, and be done with it.

I'll probably do something different with the hood and/or scoop at the same time. It would be nice if someone would mold a hood with the scoop as part of the hood, even with the fake rivets molded in. It would look exactly the same but the scoop would never come loose. I may end up getting a different hood altogether.

17. 2thehilt

2thehilt New Member

Sorry for starting the GT vs the GT350 battle on this thread, not what I was intending to do. It is true. My car is the Shelby GT I only put the 350 on there to indicate that it wasn't the GT 500.

Anyways, an update on the stripe situation. My dealer couldn't get anywhere with Shelby or Ford Racing or Ford, to get them replaced, but also knowing that it wasn't fair to have me pay the bill to have them replaced decided to get them painted on for me at no cost. I must say, I don't know why the factory just doesn't do this in the first place. The new painted stripes look fantastic, you can't tell that they are not the same as the stock vinyl ones, except that they won't fade or crack in the sun anymore.

I would suggest to anyone having the stripe issue to just have them painted on and not waist your time with the vinyl stripes anymore. Even though I didn't have to pay for mine to get done, the dealership told me that it was actually less expensive to have them painted on then to replace them with the vinyl, which is another good reason to go with painted stripes.

Good luck to the rest of you that are fighting with the same issue.

Phil

18. jhm8642

jhm8642 New Member

Faulty Racing Stripes on Shelbys

Hello, this is my 1st post, so please forgive me if I make any mistakes. I'm having major problems with the racing stripes on my 2008 Shelby GT, I purchased last June from a Chevy dealership in Charleston, SC. The car had only 4,171 original miles and a little less than 3 months left on it's basic warranty(3yr./36,000 miles). From the start, the Hurst short-throw shifter was noisy and spots were already starting to appear on my car's racing stripes. I promptly took my car into Mike Davidson Ford Dealership here in Jacksonville, FL to correct both problems. Shelby/Ford agreed to fix the shifter problem, but refused to take care of the racing stripes issue since according to them the warrany period had run out after 12 mos./12,000 miles for that type problem. They also said that they had not had many similar- type complaints about deteriorating racing stripes and felt like it had not happened to many other Shelby owners.
    Since that time, the racing stripes have almost completely deteriorated showing many many spots on all the stripes horizontal surfaces. I have also learned from other forums, owner blogs, local striping businesses, and employees(body shop mgr. & service rep) at Mike Davidson that this a wide-spread problem with a lot of Shelby owners. The striping businesses and the Mike Davidson folks also tell me the racing stripes used by Shelby/Ford are a German product which is a very inferior product which deteriorates rather quickly if the car is left outside much. They suggested that if I wish to have the stripes replaced, then I should have the installer use a 3M product which is far superior. Why hasn't Shelby/Ford handled this problem via a recall, if it is as wide-spread as I have been led to beleive? It appears they have just stuck their heads in the sand and refused to admit a very serious problem exists because of their potential financial exposure. However, it can't be good PR with there being as many Shelbys on the street as there are and especially with them costing their owners as much as they do.
    What makes me equally as mad is that Shelby/Ford, according to a Shelby customer service rep I talked with, continues to this day to place this same inferior German product on all their cars getting racing stripes. Now that is down-right fraudulent, negligent, and deceitful and could be the basis for a class-action law suit.
    Have any of you experienced the same problems I'm having and if so, how have you attempted to resolve them?

19. tommy54177

tommy54177 Member

I bought a 2008 Shelby GT new. Absolutely no stripe issues. The 2007's were inherently problomatic with stripes. But from what I read, most 2008's are trouble free. What is your Shelby production number? Mine is #574. Many 2007 owners just ended up getting stripes painted on. That is what I would do if/when mine go bad, but now and 17K miles later, they are perfect.

20. snakeoilbrian

snakeoilbrian Well-Known Member

I don't know about the 2008's being trouble free. I've met about a dozen 2008 owners who have had the same problem. Our car is 259. Some people think that our problem is due to the fact that the car sits outside 24/7 and we live about 1 mile from the Pacific Ocean, but I have also met several others that park their cars inside a garage and only drive them in perfect weather. They too have had the same problem. We chose to replace the stripes (and not paint) because that is original. We now have a machine at our shop that can reproduce the stripes. So that's what we'll do next time.