Join Shelby Forums Today

shelby stripes problem with stains

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by caligirl, Jan 25, 2010.

1. caligirl

caligirl New Member

hi. Iam new to this site but iam looking for anyone who has problems with stains on their stripes..I have a 2008 shelby gt..blue with silver stripes..if you are having a similar problem please contact me.

2. firetruck

firetruck Well-Known Member

yes i have the same problem with my 2010. it's black on black. i'm pissed because they will have to stripe the whole car, cheap shit, imo. this repair has to be a one time thing, not going through this again.

3. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Hi Caligirl:

This has been an ongoing discussion thread. Just scroll down in this forum and you will find several threads about stripe problems, mostly with the Shelby GT's (SGT's) but some with the GT500's, too. The thread, "07 Shelby GT Stripes" has 36 replies (some of mine among them). I also have an 08 Shelby GT (08SGT1050), Vista Blue with Silver stripes. Mine have been replaced once, as has the hood scoop. I still love the car and if the stripes go south agian (rust colored spots), I'll bite the bullet and have them painted and clear coated to end the problem forever.

Another thread is, "This is Ridiculous! My stripe & scoop update" has 9 replies.

Good luck and enjoy your SGT.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB
    &
    57AGIN

4. striperacer

striperacer Member

My SGT is white with silver stripes. I have also posted on other stripe bitch forums....Several body shops tell me it is expensive and time consuming to remove the original stripes in order to paint them on. Question, why not just tape off the stripes and paint over the originals with base coat, clearcoat? Looks like if you remove the hood scoop, it is a fairly easy task. What color is on the scoop, it matches the stripes perfectly? I have some replacement stripes to experiment on before I commit the car. :angry:

5. jhm8642

jhm8642 New Member

Caligirl,
    I too have a 2008 Shelby GT which I bought used last June. The car had a little less than 4,200 miles and about 3 months left on the 36 month warranty. My car is also the Vista Blue Metallic color with the silver racing stripes. When I purchased the car In June 2011, the stripes were starting to deteriorate and get spots. I quickly took my car into a local Ford dealership here in Jacksonville to get my noisy Hurst shifter fixed which Shelby authorized, but they refused to take care of the stripes. The Ford dealership people said they have had a lot of trouble with racing stripes on Shelbys and that Shelby wasn't very cooperative. I also put a rear spoiler on my Shelby and had a local striping company put the same silver vinyl on the spoiler. They told me they had a lot of customers with Shelbys getting their racing stripes replaced. They said the vinyl stripes that Shelby was putting on their cars is a cheap inferior German product. They highly recommended to me that if I have the stripes replaced to use the 3M product which is much superior. When I talked to a Shelby Customer Service rep, he said Shelby would only take care of a striping problem during the 1st 12 months of warranty. He also said that Shelby/Ford was still using the German striping product on even their newest cars. Since then, I have heard Shelby owners say they were told that the striping problem would be covered by warranty if it occurred during the 1st 36 months. From all this, I believe that Shelby/Ford has varied a lot on what has been told Shelby owners about warranty coverage on racing stripes. In fact, I got so mad recently that I went ahead and had the racing stripes painted on by the local Ford dealership's body shop because I couldn't stand to look at my beautiful car any longer with those hideous stripes with all those spots. Prior to having the stripes painted on, I sent all kind of emails to both Shelby and Ford Warranty Departments telling them how ridiculous it is for them not to agree to cover this under warranty. I even threaten to sue, but got nothing but stone-walled all the way. I guess they are really nervous about their potential liability, if they had to fixed a high percentage of the Shelbys experiencing this problem. For them to continue to put this totally inferior German product on their cars after all these problems have arisen, shows how callous, unsympathetic, and money-driven they are, regardless of how expensive these cars are to purchase. There should have been a factory recall to fix all these cars' striping problems long ago and a permanent switch to painting the stripes on, which is the only way to completely fix this problem. With all that said, is there anybody out there who wants to join with me and take on Shelby and Ford in a class-action lawsuit. I think their actions have shown that they have been extremely unfair, inconsistent, deceptive, and even fraudalent in dealing with this issue. Sorry for the long reply, but you hit a raw nerve!!

6. striperacer

striperacer Member

This has been going on for too long. To have not changed the manufacturer of the stripes when the problem first reared it's head in 07 is inexcusable. I have an early production 07 SGT, white with silver stripes. Mine were fine until it had to go the the body shop and have the hood replaced (we have lots of deer in Georgia that love to munch on Shelbys). When it came back the stripes were spotted and when the new warranty hood scoop was put on the dealer wrinkled the new stripes by pulling down the rivets too tightly. I have the original hood and plan to try painting the stripes over the decals, base with clear. I have some paint mixed for a pair of 65 R model valve covers that appears to be a perfect match. I have even considered taking the Le Mans stripes off but that would ruin the look of the car. As an aside, I was parked next to a late production SGT at a cruise and they were definitely two different shades of white. I still love the car 60,000 miles later but the stripes are an emabarassment. If someone starts a class action suit on the stripe issue, count me in.

7. 4.6 SHLB

4.6 SHLB Member

Hi All:

Yes, I had issues with the horizontal silver stripes on my SGT. I had the original stripes replaced and subsequently had 2 more sets of the stripes replaced. All were done under warranty. Pacific Ford in Long Beach, California, where I bought my SGT in April 2008, took care of those problems. However, each time I had to have the stripes replaced, and it looked as if it was going to be an ongoing and repetitive problem, I lost the use of my SGT for many weeks. Both to get the stripes sent to them by Shelby and then to get on the schedule of the very busy stripe installer. Finally, in August 2010, I had Pacific Ford paint all my horizontal stripes on. The cost was a little over $4,000. Pricy, but in my opinion, worth every penny. I've had no issues since then, the stripes look as good today, as when I picked up the car in early September 2010. My SGT has a little over 40,000 miles on it now and I had purchased the extended warranty. I don'[t know if Shelby or Ford would have stood by the extended warranty to replace more of the bad stripes. I'm just glad that one very vexing issue with my SGT is far behind me and I can go on driving and enjoying my 4.6 SHLB.

Bob
    4.6 SHLB

Attached Files:

8. striperacer

striperacer Member

I have heard the same story many time around the Atlanta area on both 07's and 08's with silver stripes. Lots have been replace under warranty, but they make it REALLY hard. It's paint em or forget em...SEE Y'all