Join Shelby Forums Today

Original Shelby Goodyear Blue Streaks ownedby Carroll Shelby

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Tom Westbrook, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

I bought some Halibrand wheels that had been in storage since the 60's with Goodyear Blue Streak Racing tires mounted on them. All four tires are NOS with labels. One even has a shipping label that reads " Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, c/o Carroll Shelby, 10820 South Norwalk Blvd.,Sante Fe Springs, Calif."

These are historically significant and I'd lke to see them go to the right car.

I'm keeping the kidney bean Halibrands. I'm at home right now and the tires are at my garage, but I believe the sizes are 6.00/6.20x15 front, and 6.50/6.70 rear.

I'm new to Cobra items but I'm sure this would be the perfect set of tires for that vintage 289 Cobra for judging or display...particularly since they were once owned by Carroll Shelby.

2. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

I wouldn't read too much into that label. He has had tens of thousands of things mailed to his attention over the last 4-5 decades that were not actually for him personally. Also, he has owned a Goodyear tire distributorship for just about as long. Still not a bad find though.

3. thefordshow

thefordshow Well-Known Member

Hello Tom,..I would have some interest in the tires. If you could send me some pic's along with the price that would be great. Thanks, Chris fordcountry@bell.net

4. tobaccokid

tobaccokid New Member

Hi,

I am interested. How much please, exclusive of shipping. Which part of the country are you located in?

Thanks,

John

5. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

No doubt they are valuble. But, did you know that Carroll Shelby was Goodyear's West Coast Distributor? So, every Goodyear racing tire sold out that way was once owned by him.

6. thefordshow

I found this decal on an N.O.S. set of blue streak tires. Wouldn't the "Big Boys" have their own deals with good year?

Attached Files:

7. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

I would agree except for this fact. These tires were racing tires. The address had no zip code which dates them before July 1, 1963. If this was just part of a stock order for Shelby's Goodyear store, there would have been no need for his name to be referenced. Since the development of the Cobra fell within the period that this dates, It's quite possible this was a set destined for a racing application or car that Shelby was directly supervising. I don't know how many tire compounds were available or how they were referenced but I'm confident that these are special and sent to Carroll for a specific application.
    Thanks for your reply
    Tom

8. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

Hi, I'm in West Virginia. I haven't got a clue regarding the value. I guess that depends upon the ability to validate other things important to a vintage Cobra owner.
    Since the shipping label has no zip code, that dates the tires prior to July1, 1963. Since Shelby opened his Goodyear Tire Store in 1960, that gives this a range of 1960 to 1963. A Goodyear tire expert may be able to date the production date and plant from the impression in the side of the tire, the label information, tread pattern, or other physical markers on the tire. I'm confident that those factors will confirm that these are in fact authentic racing tires destined for the shelby racing effort in So Cal. I'm sure there aren't many around and these need to be on an authentic Cobra with racing history.

9. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

Yes I knew that. The interesting thing here is that this label is void of any zip code. That dates the tires before July 1, 1963. If his tire store opened in 1960, that gives us a time frame that spans the development of the Cobra. Add to that the fact that these are racing tires and the likleyhood that these were sent to Carroll Shelby for a specific racing application is a strong possibility. I don't believe these were just "tires as usual" being sent to his tire store. They need to be on a vintage Cobra with racing history.

10. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

Yes they defiitely did. In the case of the tires I have , there are a few characteristics that make them potentially significant to the history of the Cobra. First, the fact that they are shipped to Carroll Shelby's attention. There is no zip code which dates the shipment prior to July 1, 1963. His dealership for Goodyear tires opened in 1960. That makes the time span 60-63. A Goodyear racing tire expert could probably identify the tires from production codes, physical characteristics , or label info. My belief is that these tires were sent by Goodyear to Carroll Shelby for the devlopment of the Cobra Racing effort. The fact that they ended up on a very rare set of Halibrand wheels also would lead you to believe they were shared with Shelby's racing friends for So Cal sports car events.

11. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

1. Shipping Label has no zip code. That would make it July 1 , 1963 or earlier
    2. Shelby opened his Goodyear Store in 1960. So the vintage is likely 60-63.
    3. These are racing tires, not a standard passenger car order of stock items for his tire store. These were specifically addressed to his attention.
    4. The tread, sidewall and tire label are all able to be reviewed to uncover the production date and even the tire compound. Is there a Goodyear racing tire expert out there that can help?
    5. The development of the Cobra at that location, coincides with the tire date.
    6. My belief is that these tires were sent to Shelby by Goodyear for a specific racing application to promote his business and the Cobra.

12. thefordshow

Tom, How are the side walls? Even tires that are nos can have cracking in the side walls from improper storage. Can you post some pic's of the side walls along with the thread. [I do have a very important car in mind with excellent SA race history that need a new set of shoes]. Chris

13. rshelby

rshelby ShelbyForums Admin Staff Member

Tom, I am not saying that I know the history of your tires but just to clarify Carroll's involvement with Goodyear, here are the facts. Carroll has a Goodyear Racing Tire distributorship, not a Goodyear tire store. The distributorship handles all Goodyear Racing tires for the western United States.
    Randall

14. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

These tires are in remarkable condition for their age. After light washing, I coated them with ArmorAll and they are just outstanding.
    The real challenge ,if I do remove them , will be to separate the tires from the rims.

15. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

Your point is well taken. We are all so detatched from our businesses today, because of the ability to communicate effortlessly, that I understand why it would seem that these may have simply been sent to his distributorship without his knowledge or involvement. However, during the development of the Cobra at that same address, I'd venture a guess that he was very "hands on" and worked with Goodyear to develop tire formulations on a per race basis. That's why I hope some one comes forward that may be able to identify these tires by the markings, label, and tread configuration.

16. 1966GT350-5

1966GT350-5 Active Member

Tom; I believe that it would benefit all of us on this forum for you to post some detailed pictures of the tires and wheels so that some one on this sight can help determine the age of your tires. The tires MIGHT have been destined to be placed on a Cobra, but without us knowing the date of manufacture that would be difficult to determine. It seems as though several forum members have an interest in this topic; we are getting frustrated with the rehashing of the only info you have so far shared with us, (numerous times).

As Dr. Evil said, "Throw me a bone."

Joe

17. thefordshow

This may help.

Attached Files:

18. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

If you DO decide to remove the Tires, take your Time and do it in several Days. Do all Four at the same time.

<01> Start by letting the Air out, if there is still Air in them.
    <02> Pour a small amount of Transmission Fluid on the Tire around the Bead
    and push down on the Sidewall so the Fluid seeps under the Lip of the
    Rim and let it sit over Night.
    <03> The Next Day, Repeat Step Number 2 again.
    <04> Again, the Next Day, Repeat Step 2 Again.
    <05> keep Repeating Step 2 untill the Beads looks like it will pop off the Rim
    easily.

The Transmission Fluid sould soften up the Rubber for easy removeal and help keed the Beads from sticking to the Rim but have the Guy who removes them use lots of the Slimmy Stuff on the Bead before removing and Pray that the Bead does NOT rip apart as it is being removed. Just my 2 cents.

19. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

Just post a picture of the date code. Although the date code does not give the decade, Goodyear changed the code system around 69 or 70 so it should be obvious if these are from the 60's.

20. Tom Westbrook

Tom Westbrook Member

Hi Joe,
    Sorry for the delay. Here's what I can tell you after examining the tires.
    1. They all say Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special
    2. They all say NYLON
    3. All have the diamond pattern in the sidewall and a blue stripe around the sidewall circumference
    4.Two of the tires are 6.00/6.40-15. They say Tread T-4 in a recessed rectangular banner that curves slightly upward. There are two sets of stampings I presume are date codes and factory identifications
    they are C9OMO77R and AOOC52FR. Both tires have 50751 stamped on them.
    5. Two of the tires are 6.50/6.70-15. They say Tread T-4 inside a depressed circle. They have a single number stamping on each tire. One is 5COM5D8R, the other is 5COMO1DR.
    If I can get some additional pictures to load I will. Three pictures already exist in this forum thread.
    What do the codes mean on racing tires? I've tried the Goodyear factory nfo but I think all racing tires were made in Akron back then. Can some one help with reliable information?
    Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Files: