Join Shelby Forums Today

Original Shelby Goodyear Blue Streaks ownedby Carroll Shelby

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by Tom Westbrook, Jan 24, 2010.

1. 1966GT350-5

1966GT350-5 Active Member

Tom; this is great...now the forum as a group can figure this out. I won't have access to vintage tires until the 13th, however I am sure others will have some info.

2. 67GT500#2100

67GT500#2100 Shelby Forums Pit Crew

I am no expert but, I think that Goodyear only used 8 digit date codes in the TIC tire dating system for 1970 and 71. In the late 60's the date code was 7 digits and after 72 the government mandated a new date code system with 9 or 10 digits. I don't know what date code system was used in the early 60's.

3. my427cobra

my427cobra New Member

I'm hoping the moderators will allow me to re-open this old thread ( and then perhaps start a new one) because:

I embarked 4 months ago on my effort to write a history of the Shelby Goodyear racing tire distributorship, and with Rick Kopec's help, submit my findings to SAAC for publishing in the Shelby American.

It all started with my garage art project: I’ve got an original Sunburst wheel (curbed/broken but repaired) and an original 1965 Goodyear Blue Dot 8.15X15 street tire (barely used) to mount on it. Plus an original Halibrand Cobra II 7.5X15 magnesium wheel (also curbed/broken but repaired) and an original 1968 Goodyear Blue Streak 5.50/9.75X15 racing tire (also barely used) to mount on it.

I also wanted to know more about the tires.

My approach has been to research the history as five elements:

1) the locations of the racing tire distributorship

2) bio of JL Henderson , VP of Shelby Enterprises (and the Goodyear distributorship)

3) interview with JL Henderson

4) develop a library, for SAAC, of memorabilia, photos and printed material

5) develop a data base of tire, tech and related info

So I will attempt to detail as best I can the history of the Goodyear tire operations with the help of JL Henderson and others.

And I'm hoping to add to the data base thereby further enhancing our knowledge of the history.

So here is my call for assistance:

I am looking for period relevant (1961 to 1971) information about the Shelby Goodyear race tire distributorship:

- copies/images of Goodyear advertisements, decals, stickers and pamphlets

- pictures of the Shelby Goodyear tire operations (trucks, transporters, tires etc)

- tech specs of the tires used during the period (street and race)

- any pics or images of period correct tire stickers (the mfg/size/compound sticker)

- any magazine articles with anecdotal stories about the tires

- and just about anything you think may be related.

In addition to supporting the history, such materials will go a long way to developing a library of info and a tech data base.

I'm looking forward to any help you all can provide.

So here's my contribution to the above thread:

The tires are probably 1964, maybe 1965 tires ( I have the spec sheets)

The T4 designation means in Goodyear speak :" (Very Soft) For Rain". In those days (before tire compounding, you'll read more about this in my upcoming article), this was a designation of natural rubber hardness. There were three designations: T2 (long Wear) For dry, T3 (All Round Wear and Traction, and T4.

The number on the label: 103-185-067 was a Product Code for that size. Just for grins, the list price for that tire was $40.10.

The numbers on the sidewalls are batch and lot numbers. No decoder has been located yet, but I have the U of Akron archival folks working on it.

If any of the original contributors to the above threads have better images of the labels (bigger and better resolution) that would help as such label detail from the period is hard to find.

Look forward to keeping this subject alive.

Cheers
    Greg

4. my427cobra

my427cobra New Member

So, if you haven't seen this before, here is the Goodyear serial number decoder for 1966 to 1972:

Goodyear serial number decoder

Goodyear serial number decoder.jpg

This decoder worked well for the Goodyear Blue Streak Sports Car Special tire I have (5.50/9.75x15, R4) with serial number LF51435R:
    The decoder would say it was made in: L= 1968,F= March, at plant 3= JAC.

However my Goodyear Power Cushion HP Blue Dot (8.15x15) with serial number 8LOL725, doesn’t work with this decoder.

I haven’t been able to find any Goodyear information on decoding 1965 and earlier tires and JL Henderson doesn’t know of one. Maybe the Goodyear archives will help.

What about the numbers that were quoted in the postings above?

C9OM077R
    AOOC52FR
    5COM5D8R
    5COM01DR

Well, the R at the end is consistant with post 1966 decoder, and the R is believed to mean "Racing".

The first letters in the sequence, C's and A's do not appear in the post 1966 decoder so may designate the year.

The second letters in the sequence, M's and C's may designate the month.

And somewhere in there is the Plant Code.

Hopefully the U of Akron will come up with the code.

Cheers
    Greg