Join Shelby Forums Today

08' GT500 Clutch replacement suggestions.

Discussion in '2nd Generation Shelby Mustangs' started by Thommyboy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Thommyboy

Thommyboy New Member

Fellow Shelby Owners,
    At 17,000miles, I have the clutch slippage issue others have had. Mine starts to slip on load at 3500RPM, and FORD wants the $3000.oo. for clutch replacement.

What aftermarket[ better] clutch would you all recommended to get installed. Car is bone stock just want a clutch that will not wear out in a year like this one did, and would prefer to spend alot less then 3K on a clutch!:mad:

I found these two way different pricing.

Option A
    $1260.oo=2007-09 Shelby GT500 SPEC Super Twin Clutch Kit (SS-Trim)
    http://www.lightningforceperformanc...roduct_info&cPath=476_293_345&products_id=869

Option B
    $410.oo-Clutch Kit, DFX, Ceramic, 1 1/ 8 in. Diameter Shaft, 26-Spline, 11 in. Dia.
    http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CTF-01570841/

Cheers, THOM

2. UncleRon

UncleRon New Member

Call "Mat" (i think that's his name) @ SPEC to get the BEST recommendation for your current & future requirements.

For my 2008 GT500KR, he recommended the 3+ single disk clutch...rated up to 850 pounds of torque. Sooooo, it's sitting on my workbench right now...just took delivery.

Hope that helps...:)

UncleRon
    Colorado Springs, CO

ps...clutch / flywheel are not a problem, but wanted to replace NOW rather than deal with the Ford TSB

3. rsimkins

rsimkins Well-Known Member

Is that correct, $3000.00 to change out a clutch? Maybe I'm out of touch regarding today's pricing, but that is way too high. So how does that break down, how much for parts and how much for labor?

4. Thommyboy

Thommyboy New Member

"So how does that break down, how much for parts and how much for labor? "
    $2500.oo parts
    $500.oo labor

Having owned over 40 cars with standard trans this is only the 2nd clutch I have ever needed to replace, and this one was gone in 17K miles.

I have read on the SPEC set up on a few boards, and that seems like many go that way.

Cheers, THOM

5. Flyinaceman

Flyinaceman Member

3,000.00 bucks for a new clutch? Why isn't it under warranty? Did they think the clutch was abused? is this just an issue with the supercharged GT 500's or Shelby GT's as well? Sorry so many questions.
    I worked at a Chevrolet dealership for a very long time and never heard of us charging that much for a new clutch.

6. allsu34

allsu34 Member

if you check with ford they should pay for it because it is a flywheel problem and not the clutch . there is a technical bulletin on the problem and the dealer should know abot it.tsb 08-16-4. but hte whole assembly will have to be replaced.

7. allsu34

allsu34 Member

ck with your ford dealer because the problem is with the flywheel heating up. but the whole assembly will have to be replaced . ck tsb 08-16-4. this should help you to get some assitance

8. wylie

wylie Well-Known Member

The factory warranty is 3 /36,000. It should be in warranty unless there is something we have not been told.

9. allsu34

allsu34 Member

it is up to the dealer because in your warranty manual it states that clutch lining are not covered.so if they think you have been hotrodding then you are out of luck.

10. springer

springer Well-Known Member

I'd go with the spec clutch. Shelby also using Spec in their post-title upgraded cars. But, as others said, sounds like a warranty issue.

11. bigb427

bigb427 Active Member

Guys, the TSB 08-16-04 is outdated. That TSB has been updated twice. The current TSB on GT500 clutch issues is 10-03-08.
    The reason why the estimate was so high is because all the transmission synchronizers may need to be replaced.
    I agree the job should be under warranty. It may take some complaining or visiting a different dealer to get it covered.

12. JRMSR

JRMSR Well-Known Member

Without a doubt SPEC 2+ with their Aluminum Flywheel.
    :thumbsup:
    Cheers

Jeffafa