Join Shelby Forums Today

Playboy Shelby's

Discussion in 'Shelby History and Miscellaneous Topics' started by tesgt350, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tesgt350

tesgt350 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any info on the Playboy Shelby's. I read an article where Heff gave them to the Playmate of the Year back in 1968 and 1969. Did they come from Ford Pink or were they Repainted Pink and if so, what color were they and who re-painted them?
    David.

Attached Files:

2. TLEA

TLEA Well-Known Member

3. roddster

roddster Well-Known Member

The registry says the car was "pastel grey" then painted pink. Doesn't say by who. Don't know if she still owns it either. And, as you can see by the photo, it's a 69.

4. tesgt350

Last year I bidded on a 1968 Playboy that had a 1968 Playboy Pink Shelby Convertible featured in it. I got out bidded at the last second. Does anyone have any info on it or have the Playboy?
    David.

5. Coralsnake

Coralsnake Well-Known Member

A pink 1968 ? Never seen it, but I would be interested...so I need to start buying Playboys now....you don't happen to know which issue it was do you? Or what articles were in it? I think that 69 was repainted by AO Smith....

6. tesgt350

I wish I did. My highest bid was $55.00 and I got out bidded. The auction ended after Midnight. I typed Shelby Magazine in the search box. It was eith a 1968 or 1969 Issue, not sure which month though. But hey, thats only 24 issues.................LOL.
    David.

7. Bob Gaines

Bob Gaines Well-Known Member

Shelby advertised in Playboy a lot in 68 and 69 I have collected all the playboy issues from the 60's that had Shelby ads in them many years ago . I remember years ago having to explain to my then small kids when they were growing up why daddy wanted the magazines with the naked ladies in them.I plan on selling them on Ebay I just don't have a idea how much they go for and if I should sell them individually or as a group. I would appreciate some imput.

8. daltondavid

daltondavid Well-Known Member

That all depends on whether or not the pages are stuck together...:laf: :laf:

9. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

I knew someone was going to say that sooner or later.:rolleyes:
    Vern

10. tesgt350

Go through them and see if you have the issue with the 1968 PINK Shelby Mustang in it. It was an Feature Article not an Advertisement. I just can't remember what Month.
    David.

11. Coralsnake

Wait a second....Playboys have naked girls in them? I am going to go out on a limb and say it wasn't a 1968 Shelby (sorry Dave). Then again, it wouldn't be the first time, if I am wrong.

12. tesgt350

I do know the defferance between a Shelby and a Mustang. It WAS a Shelby, otherwise I would not have bidded so high. Playboy used to do articles on Cars simular to R&D and C&D. I am still hoping another one pops up on Ebay. I had one old Mens Magazine (with naked Girls) that did an Interview with Carroll Shelby had Carroll Autograph it for me. He got a big kick out of seeing it as he said he "foregot" about that interview......LOL Cleo seemed a bit interested in it as well and got a big laugh out of Carrolls reaction.........LOL. I was offered a nice chunk of change for it so I let it go.
    David.

13. bitzman

bitzman Well-Known Member

the old Men's magazine

Do you remember the year and month of the old men's magazine
    with the interview of Shelby? I had one too and can't recall. I found it when I found some guy in the midwest who would look up any car topic and sell the magazines reasonably at about $10 each (since lost his name) THe Shelby interview in the issue I bought was back when Shelby was a race driver, say from '54 to 1960. The old interviews are interesting because that's when Shelby was a devil may care freebooter willing to try to drive anything on wheels. I remember the print quality of those magazines was just terrible, cheap paper that turned yellow.

14. vernonestes

vernonestes Well-Known Member

Re: the old Men's magazine

I know for sure that sports illustrated had some interviews with shelby simply because he was the driver of the year.....twice i think?......1956-57?..........

15. tesgt350

Re: the old Men's magazine

I am pretty sure it was between mid 50's to early 60's. It had his Name on the Cover if that helps.

16. Coralsnake

Dave, I will try to help find the article. Are you saying it was a pink, 1968 Shelby? Looks like the May 68 issue had the 1968 Playmate of the Year and it can be had for less than $10? Ebay Item number: 280170443001

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  17. 427SnakeSC

427SnakeSC Active Member

Playboy has pics of naked women! I've be buying it for the articles! Damn!!!!:laf: I have a Playboy article about the Cobra on my website. Check it out, pretty funny! There is another article printed in the '90's, I think about Shelby and his cars. I have been looking for it, and believe me it is exhausting work!! LOL! Anyone know which issue that is?

18. Texas Swede

Texas Swede Well-Known Member

A friend of mine in Sweden has one of the 68 Pink Shelbys.
    It must have been repainted by a dealer as the car was white
    from the factory.
    /Bo